get home, and a stranger is in your home...

This is a discussion on get home, and a stranger is in your home... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I really was freaked, startled, and shocked. This whole scenario could have turned out bad. I came home from work, walked up the stairs ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: get home, and a stranger is in your home...

get home, and a stranger is in your home...

Well I really was freaked, startled, and shocked. This whole scenario could have turned out bad.

I came home from work, walked up the stairs in the common hallway to my apartment. I opened the door and when i walked in, there was some guy (21yrs old) that I did not know in my kitchen holding a knife. Now, he was turned towards the apartment door that i just walked through. His demeanor was not threatening, however a stranger i did not know, holding a knife in my home?

Now, i have two other roommates. One is done with school and leaving for home on the 21st. The other ships out for basic trainning on the 28th. I state this stranger was my rommates friend who drove down from Minnesota to see him before he left to basic trainning from the army. It was a suprise for my rommate, and he "forgot" to tell me. And dave "the stranger" was making his famous chili which was amazing btw

Contining with the story...
    Upon entering and seeing the "stranger" with a knife, even though he didnt jump at me, or say "ima kill you!", he was in my home holding a knife. Normally my roommates are good about guests, and let me know before i get home. Not today, so that wasn't right that the stranger would be there.

Now, it being my home, and in WI where we have castle doctrine, was me drawing my weapon immediatealy when i saw a stranger in my home with a knife the right call? Keep in mind normally, i get a text or call about guests. I got nothing. Except a stranger meeting me at the door of my own apartment with a knife?

I drew commanded that he drop the knife, which he did, and immediately called to my roommates to see if they were around and ok? Turned out they were sleeping....

After i was told who he was and why he was there, i immediately asked to speak to my roommates in my room. I explained the importance of them letting me know, just what in the heck is going on around here, before i walk through the door, to avoid this situation. Needless to say i think we all have an understanding.

But they said that i over reacted. In my defense, we have been roommates for over a year, and they always notify me of things that are going on. They did not this time. Now i ask, did i over react?

Thank you!
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

2. Remove Ads

Yep.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    He's alive, you're alive, and you didn't shoot him.

Being as you have a course of performance established by your roommates for over a year, I can see how you would have been a bit started. You had a second to react, and, had he been a BG and you hesitated, a second of hesitation may have cost you your life. You also didn't pull the trigger, so your discipline saved the day.

Takeaway - all you with roommates, make sure the expectations re notification of visitors are set.
    paullie and 357and40 like this.

what PEF said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6

I came home years ago while living in my parents house to an unfamiliar car in the driveway, the door unlocked and muflled, unfamiliar voices in the basement. I armed myself, cleared the upstairs (probably not a smart move on my part) and made my way down stairs to face the intruders. The first face I saw I did not recognize but the second was a friend of the family that had a key and every right to be there. Situations are not always what they seem. Glad no one overreacted. Drawing down on someone (even if you are at a low ready and not pointing a weapon at someone) has a tendancy to change the dynamic of a relationship. Never saw the new friend again after that incident. The old friend never treated me quite the same after that as well. :)

After my long winded response, Yes I would have done much the same and have indeed done so in the past.

Administrator
    Glad that everything worked out OK and that you kept your cool. The "bottom line" is the important thing in this story.
    AKA nobody got hurt.
    Technically your "home" is not your home though when you are communally sharing an apartment with 2 other people who could have family or invited guests in the location at any given time.
    Your bedroom would typically be your private personal space and the kitchen area would usually be an agreed upon shared or common living space.
    Had you reacted differently and actually used your firearm with a bad outcome I think you would have had a very difficult time selling the story to a judge.
    Just my personal opinion on that.

To cut to the chase, you over-reacted in my opinion. Having said that, QK summed it all up well.

I do not think I would have pulled my sidearm; this would of course depend on the lay out of the home. I would have definitely had my hand on it with a full grip. If the layout of the home were such that you needed it out in order to keep the closure of any gap between the two of you within reaction time it would have been out, but I would probably not be looking down my sights, it would have been in a low ready position.
    Did you over react? This only depends on the perceived threat to you at that moment.
    Kudos for being on guard IMO.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

One thing about situational awareness, you've gotta be loose enough to see beyond the tunnel-vision of KILL IT! KILL IT NOW! When something unexpected turns up. Sure he had a knife and was unknown to you, but what else was going on to give you clues as to what level of threat this guy may be? Smell anything?? *sniff* *sniff* "Is that Chili?" Are your roommates bounding around shrieking into their phones as dozens of squad cars screech to a halt outside? Or are they conked out in various states of repose, happy little smiles on their cheeks, dreaming of the feast to come? Is the madman with the knife hacking one of them to pieces in the kitchen? Or is he just browning ground beef. Over reacted a bit? sure, I'd say yes, but it ended ok...just don't get so wound up on SA that you lose track of what your heightened senses (sight, smell, hearing, touch and {especially this time!} taste) are telling you.
    l1a1 and tactilame like this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

In my house he woulda been perforated,of course if I didn't invite him over then he shouldn't be there.
    For people with room mates,house guests,etc. There could be a huge problem if your not advised of any "GUESTS".#1 you could draw on a house guest,or #2 a guy you assume is a house guest is really a burglar with different scenarios that could end up with the guy running away,or stabbing you when you reach out to shake his hand
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    Sure he had a knife and was unknown to you, but what else was going on to give you clues as to what level of threat this guy may be? Smell anything?? *sniff* *sniff* "Is that Chili?"
    He could of been making chilli out of the roommates...

Seriously, your roommates screwed up. They knew you would be coming home, knew they allowed someone into the apt without telling you, knew you are packing, and then they choose to leave the guy alone and go take naps.

Did you over-react? If you were in the low ready position, NO. If you were extended and had developed a sight picture without full knowledge of the situation, perhaps.

Regardless of whether you over reacted or not, I wouldn't be apologizing.
    357and40, DC and First Sgt like this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Glad that everything worked out OK and that you kept your cool. The "bottom line" is the important thing in this story.
    AKA nobody got hurt.
    Technically your "home" is not your home though when you are communally sharing an apartment with 2 other people who could have family or invited guests in the location at any given time.
    Your bedroom would typically be your private personal space and the kitchen area would usually be an agreed upon shared or common living space.
    Had you reacted differently and actually used your firearm with a bad outcome I think you would have had a very difficult time selling the story to a judge.
    Just my personal opinion on that.
    Castle Doctrine, if this is your home and not a shared one, where all kinds of comings and goings can be happening, would, IMO, have allowed you to shoot him. Many cases in SC, where intruders are found in homes upon homeowner returning, have been shot---there is an immediate presumption of imminent danger with his presence in your house regardless of what could turn out to be an innocent intent. As said in above quote, this is not that kind of situation, with all kinds of residents and friends; it leaves you vulnerable to a bad outcome. Saying that, I still think coming across someone with a knife (or possibly a gun) standing in front of you would still be considered a "tragic mistake" but a good shooting. Recent case on a forum discussed the case of a gentleman who apparently had the habit of forgetting where he lived in a complex and would forget his key. He entered the wrong apartment thru a window and was shot and killed. He was not a BG but he is dead and the shooter is not being prosecuted.

I would have reacted pretty similarly.

The roommates should have notified you and as a result they created a rather hostile seeming situation. Their friend should have identified himself immediately.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    To cut to the chase, you over-reacted in my opinion. Having said that, QK summed it all up well.
    See the above
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Yes you over-reacted. I'm assuming there was chilli "stuff" all over the kitchen, it should have been fairly obvious that the guy was cooking. I would also think that having 2 twenty something roommates, it wouldn't be unusual to have people over that you haven't met.
    Were you kind of trying to send a message to your roommates about the need to give you advance warning?
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links