Wild West REAL SCENARIO: Happened 8-24-06 at 17:30 Hours

This is a discussion on Wild West REAL SCENARIO: Happened 8-24-06 at 17:30 Hours within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was driving South on Praire Ave in heavy afternoon traffic. I was waiting at a signal light on the North East Corner of Praire ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild West REAL SCENARIO: Happened 8-24-06 at 17:30 Hours

Wild West REAL SCENARIO: Happened 8-24-06 at 17:30 Hours

I was driving South on Praire Ave in heavy afternoon traffic. I was waiting at a signal light on the North East Corner of Praire Ave and Imperial Hwy when approximately 4 cars ahead of me I observed 4 to 5 hispanic males quickly jump out of a white Buick Sedan and assualt the driver of a dark colored sedan I could not Identify. The assault lasted 15 to 30 seconds and involved hands and feet from what I could tell. Cars around the assualt were trying to flee the area and almost caused multiple collisions. After the victim fell either into his/her car or the ground, I could not tell or ID the victim in any detail, the suspects quickly got into the white sedan and attempted to drive away. Because of the heavy traffic they could not quickly egress.

I followed from what I considered a safe distance and pulled my cell phone, pen and small notepad from my pockets. I also pushed my OnStar button. I observed the suspects enter the 105 FWY and head East. Because of heavy traffic, I was able to get the liscense plate of the white sedan. The white sedan exited the FWY on Crenshaw BLVD and entered a residential area. Probably due to the heavy RF traffic and poor cell coverage near the Hawthorne Airport, I could not reach 911. I pressed redial and observed a suspect exit the vehicle and enter a residence, I got the address, then the Buick speed away. By this point a 911 operator answered and I gave the plate #, address , location of the assault and rough discription of the suspects to the operator. I quickly fled the area and proceeded on my way leaving my contact info with the operator.

I never observed any weapons but from my vantage point its possible I could have missed an edged/blunt weapon. I'm not sure if the suspect observed me but not taking any chances I took a different route to my destination and carefully observed all surrounding traffic.

Questions

1. What would you have done in the situation?

2. Suppose the suspects observed you(me) and attempt to rush your(my) vehicle. They are 25 meters away and there is heavy traffic all around(see map below). You are blocked by traffic. The suspects appear to be unarmed. You are armed with you CCW option of choice. For me, my preference is a PM9 with a 6 round magazine in the weapon and a spare 7 round mag both loaded with Winchester Ranger Talon 127 gr +p+ 9mm. I also prefer a CQC-7 folder. What would you do?

Map of Incident Location:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&om=1...4,0.002516&t=k

Thanks for any responses
    DA

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you did well! No critique here. Glad you're safe!

Lead Moderator
    sounds like you did Great! Well above and beyond what the average citizen would do.
    If said suspects came at me, and no way out driving off, I guess lock the doors roll up the windows and have my gun below the sill at ready.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Great job! +1 what rocky said.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I'd bet you were the only one getting all that info for the
    LEO's, hope they use it! Sounds like you did a great job!

If they rushed my vehicle the windows would be up and the doors locked. Forcible entry of a vehicle is justifiable as a self defense situation here in FL especially if I'm locked in traffic. Tactics would vary with their actions.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Agreed, sounds like you did a great job. Hope the victim turned out ok.

What caught my eye was your description of one of the BG running into the residence. Probably lived there or knew someone there..but maybe not.

What if it was my neighborhood and I knew the person really didn't live there?

If my house, I'd be right in afterwards chasing, but what about your neighbor's? What if it was the retired marine's house down the road you were vaguely introduced to once?

Great Job IMHO
    USN - SSN 682
    You reap what you sow.

VIP Member
    Sounds like you did good. I probably wouldn't have bothered following due to the reasons you cited (heavy traffic, no quick get away). With the license plate, LE could have followed up just fine.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Moderator

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

3sh
    good job :)

Sounds like you will be the difference between no one cares and they caught them. Great job I would have most likey got the plate and left it at that.
    As far a rushing my car lock the doors, windows up if they break a window that is grounds for DF as the average person would be in fear for their life as they have just witnessed a beating and don't know the condition of the victim and no escape route.

VIP Member
    Yeah, you did great!

I've got to say, in answer to your question about being rushed. My doors are always locked, I would dial 911 if I had the time and in the back of my mind I'd be praying real hard! I'd probably arm myself but beyond that I honestly have NO CLUE what I'd do!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I would only hope I could handle it as well as you did.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    I'd bet you were the only one getting all that info for the
    LEO's, hope they use it! Sounds like you did a great job!

If they rushed my vehicle the windows would be up and the doors locked. Forcible entry of a vehicle is justifiable as a self defense situation here in FL especially if I'm locked in traffic. Tactics would vary with their actions.
    Me Too.

Sounds as though you did great!

In the hypothetical situation: The gang rushes my car, the car is locked windows up. They attempt to access the car, at this point I'm going to fear for my life or worse I have my three kids in the car. I'm going to draw and issue verbal commands; they had better stand down immediately. If they are rushing the car with weapons showing, I have to fight for my kids and my own life with any means necessary.

I would flee when initial assult happend if at all possible.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    A gang attack seems like a good time to have gun in hand. If the miscreant prosecutes his attack knowing that you are armed, that seems like a good reason to shoot.

You have introduced a weapon to the scenario. He knows you have one. He doesn't care.

Is he armed himself? No way to know.

Can he take your weapon? Maybe.

The cat is out of the bag. Must shoot to control situation.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links