Hold-up men

This is a discussion on Hold-up men within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this post on another message board and wanted to share. It contains a lot of valuable information for self-defense scenarios. My favorite nugget: ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RKflorida

Thread: Hold-up men

Hold-up men

I found this post on another message board and wanted to share. It contains a lot of valuable information for self-defense scenarios.

My favorite nugget:
    The answer in the street is always "No". Can I ask you something? No. Do you have a cigarette? No. Can you tell me what time it is? No. The answer is always "No". Don't be nice. Stop the encounter as soon as it starts.

Street robberies and you - The Basics - AR15.COM
    Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I know that's always my favorite answer to questions from complete strangers.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by dtox View Post
    The answer in the street is always "No". Can I ask you something? No. Do you have a cigarette? No. Can you tell me what time it is? No. The answer is always "No". Don't be nice. Stop the encounter as soon as it starts.
    "I've been shot. Please call 911" "No."

I read the post, and it makes sense to me. One thing he mentioned that may draw some criticism is his suggestion to draw as early as you can. I know it gets mentioned all the time on this site, but the section titled "dynamics of encounters" may be worth discussing in this thread.

I honestly needed to read that post to get my mind right again. I have recently moved from Virginia, and in my current location, dudes are always trying to come up and talk to me and ask me for money. It happens all the time - probably 4-6 times a week during day and night. It's honestly unnerving, and it's somewhat counter intuitive to act like a "jerk" all the time, but it's also very necessary.

There's not a lot of armed robberies in my area, and most of these people just see a well dressed dude driving a $40k car and figure I have a few bucks to spare, but I am constantly having to remind myself not to be an easy mark (which I'm not).

My dad used this tactic on me when I was a teenager. Always "no". Can I borrow the car, can I have a dollar, can I go to the dance, etc.
    Inspector71 likes this.

"Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Wow. Good Stuff.
    And the old man said, "We'll see..."

Absolutely right on all accounts..............experienced.

Great read! Just saved and printed it out!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I agree that you want to have gun in hand as early as you can in a confrontation.

Hold-up men
    I found this post on another message board and wanted to share. It contains a lot of valuable information for self-defense scenarios.

My favorite nugget:

I must disagree!

(1) Can I ask you something? Ans: Yes! But keep your distance, you smell worse than you look! I have some gun smoke deodorant, want some?
    (2) Man, you got a moke? Ans: You bet, a whole pack. I work to support my habits, get lost!
    (3) Can you tell me what time it is? Ans: Yes sir, time to buy a watch! Until then, the big hand is one the three, and the little hand is on the seven: 9:00 O'clock!
    (4) Maa, use got a dolla? Ans: Sure do, lots of them. You be haven change for a twenty?

Be smart - take no chances - and most of all, be safe.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    lots to say and lots to agree with

the most telling thing is --when its time to shoot--shoot, don't talk
    back side front--whatever presents itself 1st and best--shoot!!!
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member
    Been a member here for about twenty min, coundn't have stubled onto a better read! Gonna make my girlfriend next, great info.

Been a member here for about twenty min, coundn't have stubled onto a better read! Gonna make my girlfriend next, great info.
    Welcome to D.C.!
    Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

It's a good article. He describes much better than I , what I try to convey to people.

When a guy goes into a liquor store, and shoots & kills the owner for the $20 he has...... that should say it all. Someone else's life means little to most of them.

There were 2 men going around robbing small businesse, liquor stores, etc. and robbing and then killing them. One of my friend's fathers would not let his employees work while these guys were hitting so many places, so he worked the liqour store he owned. He had a revolver for protection. He missed, and they didn't ... killing him.

The same 2 guys, go into a small grocery store my best friend was working in. He had a shotgun next to the register, and the other person working there (Asst Mgr) was carrying a .357. He pulled the shotgun and they ran..... he let go with both barrels & knocked out a lot of glass. The other guy chased them around the corner of the building to the alley, when one turned to shoot ... he shot the robber 3 times COM ... and he dropped. The other guy, came running back to his friend.... and shot him in the head so he couldn't tell them who he was.

The guy working with my friend, shot at him, hitting him in the butt as he turned to run away.... and that , is how they caught him. It was a serious wound and he ended up @ an emergency room .... and has been spending several life times in prison.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links