Would you get into a fist fight while carrying? - Page 2

Would you get into a fist fight while carrying?

This is a discussion on Would you get into a fist fight while carrying? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by R.W.Dale Do you feel sorry for lazy folks who never worked a day in their life and are destitute on the street ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Would you get into a fist fight while carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by R.W.Dale View Post
    Do you feel sorry for lazy folks who never worked a day in their life and are destitute on the street living out of dumpsters?

If not then you shouldn't be overly concerned about "victims" who's only taken the steps of paying taxes to ensure their personal protection. In these cases they're getting exactly the protection they paid for.

My carry is for me and my family alone. Which isn't to say I'm not going to act in the gravest of circumstances (not a robbery but folks getting MURDERED) but I'm also not going to treat my ccw card as though it were a badge or cape, Superman was bulletproof. I'M NOT

posted via tapatalk using android.
    Well that is pretty crappy logic. What about the folks in states that aren't allowed to conceal carry? Should I not feel for them if they become victims of crime. What if you had a family member that wasn't comfortable carrying any type of weapon and was attacked? So when the cops respond too late are they allowed to say "You didn't take adequate steps to protect yourself other than just being a upstanding tax paying citizen"? And you say "they're getting exactly the protection they paid for"... We are paying taxes for the same protection that they awarded. Are you saying that because we carry guns we are entitled to a higher level of protection? No sir. You are responsible to take the same appropiate actions as a unarmed citizen. Don't think so, ask the people who shot first then called the cops later when they should have called the cops first.

And I'm not talking about being superman because we carry guns, I intervened in situations before I carried a gun. Quite the contrary I'm asking HOW (if I should at all) should I intervene in a extreme situation now that I carry and how would you. And as far as "extreme situations" go, that's just what I mean. Extreme life threatining situations, not a boyfriend beating up on a girlfriend. Not a lady getting her purse stolen. I'm talking about life threatining situations like the two I mentioned in which both involved innocent bystanders that just stood by and watched.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I am 55 and have never been in a fist fight (I punched a kid in grade school once, but thats it). I bruise too easily. Call 911 and stay out of it. Nothing good can come of getting physically involved.
    Hopyard and marcclarke like this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    That is one of the most dangerous things you might do and it comes with totally unpredictable results.

It is to be avoided almost entirely unless you actually know the full situation. If you don't know the full situation you might
    be doing some considerable harm. The lady screaming for help might be fighting with an undercover agent; just one example of many possible things you would have no way of knowing about.

To be sure, there might be situations where you are morally and legally right to intervene but you also have to take your own safety and your value to your family into account.

You really need to read the books I suggested and also read the many scenario threads on this forum. They are one of the reasons I hang around here. Each scenario has nuances and twists and turns. Often the OP of a scenario thread is absolutely certain s/he did the correct thing, or would have done a certain thing if the scenario was real; and then they get hammered by some experienced folk here, many of whom are LEOs, attorneys, DAs.

Getting your license in particularly a state such as PA with no training requirement puts you in an awkward situation. Without taking it upon yourself to get educated about your state's laws on use of force and use of lethal force, you put yourself at very considerable risk of making a bad mistake.
    Very well answered. Thank you. I did take one NRA basic home defense class, but like I said I will continue to seek training. If I could go back in time I would take a bunch of classes and then get my permit. It probably wouldn't effect me too much as far as carrying because alot of folks around here will just open carry without the permit so I could have still done things like legally and un-nervously take my firearm from class to class.

Darebear, you are asking if its ok to get involved. That is a personal decision that you, and you alone will have to make. Just remember that you weapon should be your last course of action. We can WHAT IF this to death.. Bottom line, it is your decision to make...
    Spec, mr.stuart and Hoganbeg like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I'm too old to fight and too slow to run.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I am 55 and have never been in a fist fight (I punched a kid in grade school once, but thats it). I bruise too easily. Call 911 and stay out of it. Nothing good can come of getting physically involved.
    Really, you've never been in a fight?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Darebear, you are asking if its ok to get involved. That is a personal decision that you, and you alone will have to make. Just remember that you weapon should be your last course of action. We can WHAT IF this to death.. Bottom line, it is your decision to make...
    ^this is your anwser... we can sit here and arm chair quarterback this to death... Lets look at it at from a CCer's point of view.

While a friend of mine took his CPL class the instructor went around the room and asked everyone if they could take a life to defend themselves or a loved one.. (Can you pull the trigger?).. The instructor wanted an honest answer... Everyone in the room answered a strong YES... when it he got to my friend, my friend said. I Don't know, I hope so but it will depend. The instructor goes you are the only one who answered that honestly.

Mind you my friend was in Vietnam and fought in the jungles so death is nothing new to him. But the main point my friend wanted to make is that every situtation is different and a general answer is not going to cover each and every situation we can sit here and think of. We will have to factor in all the things going on in that particular point of the incident and make a split second decison and act upon it.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Truth.

Just a small story. I got into 3 different confrontations since I started carrying or more like walked away from 3 different confrontations, ALL of them involving guys not liking the fact that I'm 25 with a beautiful girl and a really nice truck... Jealousy is all. I've walked away while being called names, racial slurs, my girlfriend being called bad words. We got away from all situations unharmed and I'm happy to have a girlfriend that understands the gravity of carrying a firearm and doesn't expect me to react appropiately to those kind of situations. She and I understands my weapon is only to be used if our lives and health are threatened. But isn't that the tricky part, reacting with a firearm in a defensive manner... waiting to the shady kid with his hands in his pockets gets close enough to potentially harm you before you can draw on him. This is where I believe OODA becomes the gospel. But this is a whole another topic. Like I said I'll continue to seek training, I acknowledge I have alot to learn and am willing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    ^this is your anwser... we can sit here and arm chair quarterback this to death... Lets look at it at from a CCer's point of view.

While a friend of mine took his CPL class the instructor went around the room and asked everyone if they could take a life to defend themselves or a loved one.. (Can you pull the trigger?).. The instructor wanted an honest answer... Everyone in the room answered a strong YES... when it he got to my friend, my friend said. I Don't know, I hope so but it will depend. The instructor goes you are the only one who answered that honestly.

Mind you my friend was in Vietnam and fought in the jungles so death is nothing new to him. But the main point my friend wanted to make is that every situtation is different and a general answer is not going to cover each and every situation we can sit here and think of. We will have to factor in all the things going on in that particular point of the incident and make a split second decison and act upon it.
    Agree.

To the OP. The way people drive in P.A. is crazy! Especially during rush hour. Lol.
    Now to answer your question. To get your CHL in OH you have to take a class. So we learned a little about being a hero and/or being a concerned citizen. So with that in mind I'm less likely to stick my nose in someone else's business unless I know them, then even then its sketchy until i can get some answers. I carry because I love myself, my wife, and our 13 month old daughter. So if I can avoid trouble than by all means I will. I will report a crime in progress that's all the involvement I'm doing.

Think of it this way. You see somebody getting jumped you try to stop them and you pull your gun. The people stop jumping the guy on the ground. The guy gets up and runs off. The group gets mad at you because 1. You pointed a gun at them and 2. you just let a robber, rapest, bugler, etc get a way.
    By not knowing the whole situation you have now got involved whereas it would have been better to just call the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
    To the OP. The way people drive in P.A. is crazy! Especially during rush hour. Lol.
    Lol. That's nonsense, we don't drive during rush hour. We just sit. Lol. It's like a parking lot on the parkways here.

I went to KI last summer and at first I was driving the posted speed limit then Everytime I look in my rear view there would be a line of cars behind me so I would speed up. I was weary of cops posted up looking for speeders once I didn't see any I was going with the flow of traffic and enjoying driving around.

The only time I saw a cop was when I was leaving from KI he drove up on me in a marked SUV fast and I thought I did something wrong. He went around me and spend up the road. Very pleasant time.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darebear View Post
    Well that is pretty crappy logic. What about the folks in states that aren't allowed to conceal carry? Should I not feel for them if they become victims of crime. What if you had a family member that wasn't comfortable carrying any type of weapon and was attacked? So when the cops respond too late are they allowed to say "You didn't take adequate steps to protect yourself other than just being a upstanding tax paying citizen"? And you say "they're getting exactly the protection they paid for"... We are paying taxes for the same protection that they awarded. Are you saying that because we carry guns we are entitled to a higher level of protection? No sir. You are responsible to take the same appropiate actions as a unarmed citizen. Don't think so, ask the people who shot first then called the cops later when they should have called the cops first.

And I'm not talking about being superman because we carry guns, I intervened in situations before I carried a gun. Quite the contrary I'm asking HOW (if I should at all) should I intervene in a extreme situation now that I carry and how would you. And as far as "extreme situations" go, that's just what I mean. Extreme life threatining situations, not a boyfriend beating up on a girlfriend. Not a lady getting her purse stolen. I'm talking about life threatining situations like the two I mentioned in which both involved innocent bystanders that just stood by and watched.
    You asked for opinions. Doesn't mean you will receive what you want to hear.

The question of intervention springs up often here. I'm in the camp that I am not LEO and I don't have the training or experience to handle bad dudes, and if I try I might also make things worse. Others disagree. So be it.

Curious as to why you characterized the bystanders as "just" standing by and watching. Do you know if they had kids? Were supporting their family? Did not have any training? And so on. I have kids, and that factors into many of my decisions.

If you really feel compelled to fulfill this type of role, think about earning a badge. Seriously. Otherwise, I suggest leaving intervention to the professionals.

Lol. That's nonsense, we don't drive during rush hour. We just sit. Lol. It's like a parking lot on the parkways here.
    Yeah we got stuck in a traffic jam on our way to our hotel when we were first arriving. It was frustrating.

VIP Member
    Truth.

Just a small story. I got into 3 different confrontations since I started carrying or more like walked away from 3 different confrontations, ALL of them involving guys not liking the fact that I'm 25 with a beautiful girl and a really nice truck... Jealousy is all. I've walked away while being called names, racial slurs, my girlfriend being called bad words. We got away from all situations unharmed and I'm happy to have a girlfriend that understands the gravity of carrying a firearm and doesn't expect me to react appropiately to those kind of situations. She and I understands my weapon is only to be used if our lives and health are threatened. But isn't that the tricky part, reacting with a firearm in a defensive manner... waiting to the shady kid with his hands in his pockets gets close enough to potentially harm you before you can draw on him. This is where I believe OODA becomes the gospel. But this is a whole another topic. Like I said I'll continue to seek training, I acknowledge I have alot to learn and am willing too.
    Don't go to stupid places and do stupid things with stupid people. How on earth are you finding yourself in places where stupid people get on you?

Think about that.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links