Would you get into a fist fight while carrying?

This is a discussion on Would you get into a fist fight while carrying? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't do it (21bubba) don't bite on the bait......

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Would you get into a fist fight while carrying?

Don't do it (21bubba) don't bite on the bait...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Responsible people (unless you are LEO, security, etc) shouldn't be in a position where they have to fist fight. I haven't been involved in a fist fight since high school.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Never ever assert yourself into somebody elses battles, you will never win, come out a head, or even break even.
    This quote should be etched in stone and hung around the necks of the gov't beaurocrats who dictate foreign policy. No truer words have ever been spoken.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I haven't been involved in fisticuffs since middle school. Please enlighten us as to how you came to be involved in a "serious fight". If a fight is serious (imminent death or grave bodily harm), I get to use my gun. If it doesn't rise to that standard, how is it "serious"?
    Serious to me is. Lose of two teeth, I believe 14 or 18 stitches, assorted scrapes and brusies, and the clincher, a concussion.

The time- Middle of the day
    The location- Outdoor parking lot
    The reason- The other gentleman thought I was someone I was not. Seems his lady friend was stepping out on him.

This was before I had a CCW and could carry. Would me being armed have made a difference? I honestly don't know. I know it would now.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Don't do it (21bubba) don't bite on the bait...
    Statistics have no place in a fist fight so he has nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    Responsible people (unless you are LEO, security, etc) shouldn't be in a position where they have to fist fight. I haven't been involved in a fist fight since high school.
    Tell me kind sir how do it get to Nerf World from Ky. ?

Working in furniture mills all night through high school and college, I got into quite a few physical altercations. These were people who had been in and out of prison and didn't care if they went back. That was the situation I was in and I learned how to manage in it. I'm now a professional financial executive with a successful career in my mid 40s with two young kids. This is the situation I'm in now and I have learned how to manage within it...and getting into physical altercations isn't part of the equation. I'm still physically capabe, but I'm much wiser in how I handle myself and situations. I just can't see anything good coming out of getting into an altercation. The only thing worth fighting over is someone posing physical harm to my family...and if that is the case I am prepared to handle that situation in a completely different manner.
    jem102 and JDE101 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Yes everyone that says walk away, ignore them, etc is right. But sometimes a fight is brought to you by no act or action on your part. In that case then yes hit them back!!! As long as you don't escalate the situation by bringing a gun into play without cause. Twice in my life I got into this situation. First I was mistaken for someone else and hit twice in the face before realizing there was even a threat, I had done nothing wrong and had no reason to suspect the guy walking the other direction was going to take a poke at me. That situation ended with his arm in a hammer lock with possible ligament damage and he might have "accidentally bumped" his face on the concrete a couple times before the campus security guard got there. The second and last time was when one of my buddies apparently made an inquiry as to someones parentage that may have been perceived as an insult. My good friends left the establishment in all due haste but chose not to interrupt my conversation with a girl I had not seen in years, I was really doing well too. The afore mentioned individual with questionable lineage knew I had come in with the other monkeys and got my attention with a pool cue. Fortunately he hit a pole on the way around and the blow didn't knock me out, definitely not like tv it hurts a lot. This guy ended up in a full Nelson with his face "bumping" the wall until he calmed down. I tossed him out the door that was held by the bouncer. Returned to the girl to find out I had just tossed her date. I heard she never saw him again but she didn't see me again either.

My point is that yes a fight can find you and there is nothing wrong with defending yourself as long as you use only the force necessary to stop the aggression. I would say look into some martial arts and maybe OC spray as levels of force if needed. Guns are only for making people dead, the only reason to make people dead is for you or a loved one to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Serious to me is. Lose of two teeth, I believe 14 or 18 stitches, assorted scrapes and brusies, and the clincher, a concussion.

The time- Middle of the day
    The location- Outdoor parking lot
    The reason- The other gentleman thought I was someone I was not. Seems his lady friend was stepping out on him.

This was before I had a CCW and could carry. Would me being armed have made a difference? I honestly don't know. I know it would now.
    I must admit I have never heard of such a situation. I appreciate the education. Sorry to hear about your beatdown.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Evan Marshals was a police officer and he gives several instances of a police officer getting into more than they expected when they interviened.

In one case the officers responded to a domestic violence call, and as they were arresting the guy for beating his wife she realized that they were going to take her hubby away so she grabbed a knife and stabbed oen of the cops.

In another example Evan shot a rapist as he was about the commit the rape. The victum then turned around and sued Evan and the department for endangering her!

There was a case here years ago where the was a 911 call about a disturbance in a neighborhood. Two officers responded. It turns out the call was placed by two brothers that had decided they wanted to kill a couple of cops. They suceeded, ambushing and gunning down both officers with hunting rifles as they approached the house.

If your going to intervene be aware that things cab change in a split second, and that no good deed goes unpunished.
    I'm done, this post here totally changed my outlook. I now firmly believe that I'll be better served as a witness and just hope that my indiffernce, and non-intervening can be forgiven by people and God.

In some states, if you are justified in using lethal force, it is an absolute defense against all criminal and civil liability so no fear of being sued (or at least it going very far) and don't forget that people use firearms btwn 1.5 and 2.5 million x's per year (estimated) to stop crime and most never have to fire a shot.

Thus far in my life I have avoided mutual combat. Hopefully it stays that way. Hopefully I'm always able to avoid fights, always able to avoid taking a life. I carry a 3oz can of Fox Labs on me most all the time for potential situations that don't warrant deadly force. A drunk accosting my wife and I during a night on the town, accidentally offending someone's honor by bumping into him, who knows. Having never tested my ability to engage in fisticuffs, I would much rather just hose someone down with pepper spray and see where things go from there. Again, hopefully I never even have to do that, but I've still got more years ahead of me than behind me, so it's hard to say for certain.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Our CCWs are not badges. However, if I witness a rape and I KNOW it's a rape, I'm going to stop it. I doubt I'd have to shoot as he'd probably run off but the assailant would see the business end of my M&P9c. I've also thought about carrying pepper spray for the non-lethal engagement. That would work quite well for a rape scenario. The convenience store robbery, however, will likely be conducted using a firearm. It depends on how much of a threat the robber seems to be. If he's obviously not going to shoot, I'm going to be a good witness. If I think he's going to shoot the attendant then I will prepare in case he does.

Just my $.02...
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

Quote Originally Posted by johnbergsing View Post
    Our CCWs are not badges. However, if I witness a rape and I KNOW it's a rape, I'm going to stop it. I doubt I'd have to shoot as he'd probably run off but the assailant would see the business end of my M&P9c. I've also thought about carrying pepper spray for the non-lethal engagement. That would work quite well for a rape scenario. The convenience store robbery, however, will likely be conducted using a firearm. It depends on how much of a threat the robber seems to be. If he's obviously not going to shoot, I'm going to be a good witness. If I think he's going to shoot the attendant then I will prepare in case he does.

Just my $.02...
    Wow. Who mentioned a rape? Some of these posts just creep me out. This thread was started about fist fights while carrying.

How many rapes-in-progress have you stumbled upon in your life? Anyone? Bueller?

Most women are raped by someone they know. I think you can shelve your little damsel-in-distress fantasy life with your gun. The likelihood of coming upon a rape-in-progress at your local Walgreens, the mall, or your gun range is pretty slim.

Weird. Just weird.

Perhaps you're reading too many books with covers like:

blog_duillo.jpg
    Last edited by MadMac; February 16th, 2012 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbergsing View Post

Just my $.02...
    All I can say is you've lived a sheltered sheltered life if you can tell a rape from a deviant couple living out a voyeuristic sexual fantasy at first glance. Which chances are is what you'll be seeing vs a rapist at work in the wall mart parking lot.

posted via tapatalk using android.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links