Would you get into a fist fight while carrying?

This is a discussion on Would you get into a fist fight while carrying? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, here's a refresher wrt the original post: What got me thinking about this hypothetical situation (bar/club fight) is the gang/group voilence that our youth ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Would you get into a fist fight while carrying?

OK, here's a refresher wrt the original post:
    What got me thinking about this hypothetical situation (bar/club fight) is the gang/group voilence that our youth and senior citizens is facing today. I can remember being jumped some days when I was walking home from the school bus... I was a nerd lol. Or for a more recent and more serious example, a young gifted man in Chicago trying to escape a gang fight then being beat senseless with a railroad tie he died that day or a couple years back there was a high school girl that was gang raped at Prom. Or say you stumble upon a home invasion in progress against a elderly couple.

So the post started out as an allusion to a bar fight and progressed to gang violence, death, and rape.

2. Remove Ads

Chances are no operator is gonna give a civilian a green light to go hot into any situation. Even off duty LEO are told to wait for the police to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    ideally calling 911 and advising them of an ongoing event leading up to telling them you are legally armed and asking if you should get involved.
    if they give you the green light--in court that may be what decideds your verdicts.
    but the time spent on the phone with 911 may make action on your part moot...as in, by the time they get done with 40 questions--and them not wanting to expose themselves legally for your actions....

well what was happening aint no more.

its too late now for you to make a difference.

.....so much for Plan B
    One more step and it's on!

I have been in fist fight when carrying. Seeing it coming a loud obnoxious drunk begging for a beat down. I discretely hand off my weapon to a bro or the wife once. The understanding is I can take a butt whipping if it comes to that fat lips black eyes broken jaws are on me. After all I volunteered but if it gets out of hand, more than one person is putting the boots to me, they will act in my defense. As I have aged that is less of an option but back in the it would have been pretty sad if packing meant I could not go a few rounds.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    OK, here's a refresher wrt the original post:
    What got me thinking about this hypothetical situation (bar/club fight) is the gang/group voilence that our youth and senior citizens is facing today. I can remember being jumped some days when I was walking home from the school bus... I was a nerd lol. Or for a more recent and more serious example, a young gifted man in Chicago trying to escape a gang fight then being beat senseless with a railroad tie he died that day or a couple years back there was a high school girl that was gang raped at Prom. Or say you stumble upon a home invasion in progress against a elderly couple.

So the post started out as an allusion to a bar fight and progressed to gang violence, death, and rape.
    This is different that going few rounds, I thought the OP was about. If someones well being or life is at risk I will do whatever is needed to stop the threat. I could not live knowing I was some spineless coward that let a girl get raped or some innocent man get beat to death as I stood by and did nothing. Not how I was raised and I have way to much respect for mom and dad than to bring shame like that to our name. Believe it or not it was not so long ago that everyone felt the same. That someone standing by being a good witness was a disgrace and made national news.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    This is different that going few rounds, I thought the OP was about. If someones well being or life is at risk I will do whatever is needed to stop the threat. I could not live knowing I was some spineless coward that let a girl get raped or some innocent man get beat to death as I stood by and did nothing. Not how I was raised and I have way to much respect for mom and dad than to bring shame like that to our name. Believe it or not it was not so long ago that everyone felt the same. That someone standing by being a good witness was a disgrace and made national news.
    We have to remember that in those days the chances of being sued or possibly charged with a crime were slim to none back then. Yes you were considered a coward if you did nothing but if you did help you were a hero.
    The rules have changed in recent times. Now you might very easily be charged with a crime if you help. You are no longer helping an innocent person but are instead taking the law in your own hands.

I might willingly put myself in danger of physical harm to protect a stranger but, I will not give up my freedom for a stranger. I will not put myself in a position of becoming a pauper to pay my legal bills to protect a stranger. I will take my chances with a bad guy to protect a stranger but not taking chances with the government. Sorry.

Michael

Hey, I'm a newbie, and this is my first post. This topic caught my attention and got me to join.

I have always heard that any fistfight while you are armed is actually a gunfight. I can't foresee any good coming from engaging in hand-to-hand combat while being armed. Too many chances to lose retention of my weapon in the scuffle (fistfights generally wind up as wrestling matches) . I carry a back-up, but I don't really like the idea of possibly giving an unarmed assailant 10 rounds of .40 to use on me.

Having said that, I think it would depend on the situation. This scenario has actually got me thinking about picking up a Kimber Pepperblaster or some other less-than-lethal device that allows me to maintain my distance while still engaging.

Call 911

My answer to the OP thread title. Not if I can help it. Carrying or not. Last thing I want to do while carrying is grapple on the ground where his hands are closer to my weapon than my own. Bad plan.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Yes In Texas we to have the right to help others to. Rape is a very hard one to get involved in and should be questioned but like all others YOU need to use common sense. To those that say be a good witness I say bull-s, if you feel the need to get involved; do it but make sure you understand the situation. Man and woman in a heated argument and he slaps her: witness. Armed man robbing a C-store while you are there: I say yea. Being a good witness has its price tag to; the haunting memory that you could have made a difference but didn't. They are right WE are not cops but the laws are written so we can get involved if we choose to. I carry a gun but that is not a deciding factor, I would get involved without it for I am my brother’s keeper
    To be fair, I believe you have the right to help others in every state. I don't think it is limited to Texas.

I do agree with the rest of what barstoolguru posted.

VIP Member
    Simple answer. NO don't fight if possible.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I might willingly put myself in danger of physical harm to protect a stranger but, I will not give up my freedom for a stranger. I will not put myself in a position of becoming a pauper to pay my legal bills to protect a stranger. I will take my chances with a bad guy to protect a stranger but not taking chances with the government. Sorry.
    We got sued back than too. In some ways with good sam laws things are better now than then. Still, it is not my place to dictate to you what you should risk or be willing to sacrifice to stand up in the face of evil. You are the one who has to look in the mirror and like who you see. It does seem that honorable does not necessarily mean smart. As has been said no good deed goes unpunished, I have been both charged and attacked by the victim who I was aiding in separate events. Never expect your sacrifice to be appreciated, it is never about what others think. Only about your personal ethics and code of honor. Probably not smart. That said I was raised in a different time and am to old to learn a different or maybe that is just an excuse for being old and stubborn.

Some one said that there are never any winners in a fight. Having been on the losing end more than once I must say the guy who punched a silver dollar sized hole in my skull definitively won that fight. Being able to go to sleep smiling with a clear conscious, even in the jail house is still marked off as a win in my scrap book.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    At my age a fistfight is just a NO. If I`m attacked the perp gets to meet "Mr OC GEL" if that doesn`t work then it gets real ugly. Hope it Never happens though!. Always Carry,Never Tell!.
    RoadKill likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    I agree with you. There are people like you and me that would intervene but there are many others that would just stand and watch it happen. I would not be able to live with myself knowing that I could have stopped it. I would be willing to sacrifice quite a lot to save the life of another. Call me foolish but I would rather die trying to save an innocent persons life than die for nothing. Of course if the need arises I would use my ASP baton or MACE before I would ever pull a firearm (unless they were also armed). You'd be surprised at the studies that have been done showing that people in a populated area are much less likely to react in a situation because they assume someone else will instead.
    LongRider likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Simple answer for me. I'll do whatever I feel I need to do to insure my safety and that of my loved ones, regardless of whether or not I'm carrying. Would I go outa my way to get into a fight while carrying? Absolutely not, but nor would I allow the fact that I'm carrying a defensive tool to handicap my response to a possible threat. It should be known that, a fist fight can easily be a prelude to a more serious altercation and can easy cause serious bodily injury all by itself.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Be a good witness. Call 911

You may have a gun but you are not LEO!

You are more likely to get yourself in trouble than you are to help someone.

Modern society is much too litigious to be a hero. If you're LEO, you have a department and a union covering your butt. If you're just a citizen, how much are you willing to lose to be a hero?

^ This, and the other post like it, well said. My carrying is for me and my family first and any other situation 2nd. I'm getting old and need to pick my battles. KNOW the states laws covering this when carrying. What may be lawful in one state may not be in another. Use descretion before getting physically involved or pulling your gun.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links