Would you get into a fist fight while carrying?

This is a discussion on Would you get into a fist fight while carrying? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My life and my carry defensive weapon are for myself and my wife and three young daughters. I will use and risk my life/freedom for ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Would you get into a fist fight while carrying?

My life and my carry defensive weapon are for myself and my wife and three young daughters. I will use and risk my life/freedom for them alone. I will call 911, follow their instruction, and be prepared to bare witness.

The LEOs can handle everyone elses business. That is their job, not mine.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Don't go to stupid places and do stupid things with stupid people. How on earth are you finding yourself in places where stupid people get on you?

Think about that.
    This is a pretty ignorant statement. Any place can turn into a stupid place. Any activity can turn into a stupid activity, and you cannot control where stupid people go. Isn't one of the many reasons to carry the fact that it can happen anywhere at any time? The idea that you somehow need to modify your life and the places you go simply because you now carry a firearm is just silly.

Nope! At my age there would only be two hits. I'd get hit and I'd hit the ground...
    RoadKill and Chandne like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    This is a pretty ignorant statement. Any place can turn into a stupid place. Any activity can turn into a stupid activity, and you cannot control where stupid people go. Isn't one of the many reasons to carry the fact that it can happen anywhere at any time? The idea that you somehow need to modify your life and the places you go simply because you now carry a firearm is just silly.
    Yes and no. Although stupid can pop up anywhere, there are numerous places that can be considered "stupid" places. It's a matter of playing the odds.

I'm far less likely to get a beat-down in my golf club locker room than, say, a seedy bar in a "bad" part of town.

I posit that those who wish to live long, happy lives without needing to use their ccw ALWAYS modify their lives and the places they go. I sure do. I have been doing it for decades.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Yes and no. Although stupid can pop up anywhere, there are numerous places that can be considered "stupid" places. It's a matter of playing the odds.

I'm far less likely to get a beat-down in my golf club locker room than, say, a seedy bar in a "bad" part of town.

I posit that those who wish to live long, happy lives without needing to use their ccw ALWAYS modify their lives and the places they go. I sure do. I have been doing it for decades.
    Nothing like using extremes to illustrate a point.

I think MadMac has a point. I chose to buy a house where there is no crime. I hardly drive to the rougher parts of town very often even the the good ethnic restaurants are there (saves me gas too). I do go...just not as often as safer places and rarely at night. I do modify my behavior, especially when with my girlfriend. It isn't like I stay hidden at home but I do consider safety. That said, I'll walk into mountain lion country quite happily. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Chandne View Post
    I think MadMac has a point. I chose to buy a house where there is no crime. I hardly drive to the rougher parts of town very often even the the good ethnic restaurants are there (saves me gas too). I do go...just not as often as safer places and rarely at night. I do modify my behavior, especially when with my girlfriend. It isn't like I stay hidden at home but I do consider safety. That said, I'll walk into mountain lion country quite happily. :)
    I agree that MM has a point. I just have an issue with using such extremes to make it. Which is tougher a polar bear or a fuzzy white kitten? That sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Nothing like using extremes to illustrate a point.
    My golf club versus a seedy bar is "extreme"? Really? Those examples came from my life. I have a cousin who likes to take risks and he goes to seedy bars in "bad" parts of town. He's been assaulted, beaten-up, sucker-punched, and beat-down a few times. I prefer to play golf with my spare time. I am certainly not claiming any type of moral superiority. Perhaps you'd call me a big, old coward - my cousin likes to call me that. I prefer to live a safer and more peaceful existence. I make my choices, and he makes his.

Albert Camus once said, "Life is the sum of all your choices." How true.

Perhaps this is a less 'extreme' example of an altered behavior choice I made just tonight: I needed gas, but noticed the easily-accessed station with the cheaper gas had a gaggle of youths hanging around. I decided to drive on to a better-lit, albeit more expensive station to buy my gas there. I made a choice, and modified my behavior accordingly. It was a very small chance I would have encountered any trouble with the loitering youngsters, but I altered my behavior to better manage my personal risk.

You can choose to feel it's your right to use the first station, or you can modify your behavior based on signs that indicate an (admittedly slight) elevation in risk. We do it all the time, sometimes unknowingly. It's a very human trait. People who choose to go to "stupid" places like seedy bars, dark alleys, or dodgy neighborhoods also are making a choice.

Those that claim they don't change their behavior to manage risk are simply not aware when they do so, or they are lying. Deciding to apply for a CHP and carrying around a ccw is testimony to modified risk management behavior in itself.

Sure, anything can happen to anyone, but I like playing the odds in my favor to limit my risks. YMMV.
    Chandne and TheShadow like this.

I understand the odds, my issue is with calling someone out because they don't share your lifestyle. Some folks live in the rough part of town, some folks work in the seedy bar's. Avoiding the bad parts of town is not always an option, or hell, maybe they don't want to avoid those places. It does not then make it even partially their fault if someone decides to use violence against them because they made the decision to be in that place.

Carrying or not carrying, the same rules apply. If a physical confrontation is avoidable - avoid it. If it's absolutely not avoidable - defend yourself. If you carry you SHOULD be smart enough to know what sort of situation would call for drawing your gun and which situation doesn't.

Well put! Short and sweet.
    Conceal Carry
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Compact
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
    Rock River Arms 6.8 SPC
    Taurus Millennium Pro 140

My golf club versus a seedy bar is "extreme"? Really? Those examples came from my life. I have a cousin who likes to take risks and he goes to seedy bars in "bad" parts of town. He's been assaulted, beaten-up, sucker-punched, and beat-down a few times. I prefer to play golf with my spare time. I am certainly not claiming any type of moral superiority. Perhaps you'd call me a big, old coward - my cousin likes to call me that. I prefer to live a safer and more peaceful existence. I make my choices, and he makes his.

Albert Camus once said, "Life is the sum of all your choices." How true.

Perhaps this is a less 'extreme' example of an altered behavior choice I made just tonight: I needed gas, but noticed the easily-accessed station with the cheaper gas had a gaggle of youths hanging around. I decided to drive on to a better-lit, albeit more expensive station to buy my gas there. I made a choice, and modified my behavior accordingly. It was a very small chance I would have encountered any trouble with the loitering youngsters, but I altered my behavior to better manage my personal risk.

You can choose to feel it's your right to use the first station, or you can modify your behavior based on signs that indicate an (admittedly slight) elevation in risk. We do it all the time, sometimes unknowingly. It's a very human trait. People who choose to go to "stupid" places like seedy bars, dark alleys, or dodgy neighborhoods also are making a choice.

Those that claim they don't change their behavior to manage risk are simply not aware when they do so, or they are lying. Deciding to apply for a CHP and carrying around a ccw is testimony to modified risk management behavior in itself.

Sure, anything can happen to anyone, but I like playing the odds in my favor to limit my risks. YMMV.
    When will I ever learn not to comment on a post of yours ? Soon I hope.

I understand the odds, my issue is with calling someone out because they don't share your lifestyle. Some folks live in the rough part of town, some folks work in the seedy bar's. Avoiding the bad parts of town is not always an option, or hell, maybe they don't want to avoid those places. It does not then make it even partially their fault if someone decides to use violence against them because they made the decision to be in that place.
    Nobody called anyone "out". People make their decisions, and must deal with the consequences. If they don't want to avoid those places (like my cousin) they have chosen to live with their decisions.

No one is even talking about who's at fault. It doesn't matter who is at fault. If you are assaulted by chosing to be in a "stupid" place, it's YOU who will have to live with the consequences. Fault has nothing to do with it.

If you choose a risky lifestyle, it's your safety that is in jeopardy.
    Last edited by MadMac; March 29th, 2012 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    You'd be surprised at the studies that have been done showing that people in a populated area are much less likely to react in a situation because they assume someone else will instead.
    I've seen those always interpreted that as an excuse for being unwilling to take any personal responsibility for their community. You know let someone else deal with it. The very same people who snivel and whine about why doesn't someone do something about all the crime and violence in the neighborhood it used to be such a nice peaceful place. Ignoring the fact that that someone is them, it used to be a nice peaceful place because folks used to stand up for each other

Agreed. I started packing in 73 because the members of some of the clubs would get out of hand at some of the parties or runs I attended. It remains a free country I pay for these streets I am not about to surrender them to scumbags. I go where I please when I please. I prefer motorcycles over Beemers, the scent of gas, oil burning rubber over cologne, places where men are men, the women are hot, the music is rock, the jokes are raunchy, the laughter is raucous over places where the men wear pink polo shirts, the women are cold, the jokes are polite, Tee hee hee passes for laughter, and they drink their Chateau La Do Do with stiff pinkies and limp wrists.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I have injured too many fists with my face and would only get into a fist fight if I had no other option. At my age I try to restrain the adrenaline and primativee response and use my brain.
    LongRider likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links