Choose...Crenelated Bezel or Tac Pen? Defend Yourself!

This is a discussion on Choose...Crenelated Bezel or Tac Pen? Defend Yourself! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Scenario - Glass in the Sky : You are have a tactical pen in your front shirt pocket. You are also wearing a belt with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Choose...Crenelated Bezel or Tac Pen? Defend Yourself!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Choose...Crenelated Bezel or Tac Pen? Defend Yourself!

Scenario - Glass in the Sky:

You are have a tactical pen in your front shirt pocket. You are also wearing a belt with a holster containing a tactical light with a crenelated bezel. You managed to clear air port security with these items and they are the only things you have on your person that can be realistically used to defend yourself. After the plane has taken off, you get out of your seat to go to the rest room. Before you get to the door, a madman bursts out. He's in a rage yelling obscenities and mumbling non-sensical phrases under his breath. He has managed to break the mirror in the restroom and has wrapped a towel around the glass so that he can hold it without cutting his hand. He's waving it around in a manner that is essentially making it a slicing implement capable of inflicting deep gashes if it makes contact on soft vulnerable flesh. If he strikes you right now, he could easily slice your neck. You know if by chance, the weapon strikes you in a certain manner, it will slice your jugular. Even if someone does apprehend the perp after he injures you, you could easily bleed out in minutes and expire on the floor before you could receive appropriate medical attention.

What do you do? For the purpose of this scenario, you have to use one or the other; crenelated bezel or tac pen. You can use other things in addition to one of these items but you must use one of these items.

Disclaimer: I've never been in the rest room on a plane so I don't even know if they have a mirror the wall that you could break and use as a weapon. For the purpose of this scenario let's either say that they do have mirrors in the rest room or that the perp managed to get a hold of someone's mirror...a lady's compact, for example.

I'm looking forward to hearing solutions to this scenario.
    DCG

2. Remove Ads

Throw my carry on bag at him, while he is distracted I take the bezel of my light and push towards his temple, this is with my reaction hand, with my weapon hand I pull my tac pen and push it into the side of his neck. After he goes down I place my foot on his throat and wait for the air marshals....

Ok, back to reality. I do not like to fly.......
    tactilame and Spade115 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I wouldn't want to get too close to him, so I would go for the pot of boiling hot water and let him have it right in the face.

Plus, I don't think I'd make it through security with either of those items.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

If my flashlight looked like Aarons I would go with that.

Assuming in this scenario that the madman is intent on me and closing fast I would attempt to deploy my foot to his nut sac then all manner of fury to his face and head with
    aaron's flashlight and my fist. Keeping my arms up to try to block any slices at my neck.
    Spade115 likes this.

seat cushions make good floation devices... and also good shields.

jackets keep you warm and can entangle an assailant's weapon weilding arm.

A couple of neck ties can hog tie the BG and leave him on the floor until the plane lands.

I dont think either the pen or the flashlight would be the best defensive weapon at that point. First priority would be to disable the glass fragment and subdue the attacker.

VIP Member
    Just shoot him with one of the many guns that slip by the TSA!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I don't think I'd make it through security with either of those items.
    The flashlight will get through security in the US, France and the UK. I know this for sure from experience. Have not tried a tac pen, but travel extensively with a brass-barreled mechanical pencil with no problems.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I too like Aaron's flashlight, and I wouldn't hesitate to carry and use it, but in the situation you described above, there's much that needs to happen first, before it will be anywhere close to safe to be that close to the BG. I share Nicegy's way of thinking, I think I'd go at him with a heavy jacket and try to tangle his hands and weapon first. A couple solid fists to the temple immediately after that, then possibly the flashlight bezel held against his temple to keep him under control as long as necessary.

If the opportunity presented itself, I'd mow him down with one of those food/drink carts. Ouch...
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

AOK
    Based on how narrow isles are on jets he will likely be making thrusts or a downward hacking motions depending on how he is holding the mirror. The primary edged weapon defense I have been taught and practice/train through Krav and a couple other edged weapon classes ideally get me to the outide so my defense which obviously would have to change.

There are different WOO's available on the flights as some have already mentioned which will be better options than using a pen or flashlight IMHO. I'm not interested in getting into a stabbing duel. I'd much rather use my carry on as an impact weapon. The seat could be a great idea but I'm not to familiar with the ability of getting a good grip on it. If I could get a good grip from behind I would take the seat cusion and try pinning the cusion against his shoulder and elbow which would restrict his range of motion enough to where I can carry out different combatives, eye gouge, rip off an ear, etc. Please keep in mind, I'm not just standing there trying to pin the cusion against him, I'm walking though him while pinning his arm and striking him. If I did just stand there he would just retract the knife and then either grab the cusion trying to yank it away or try steam rolling me with his shoulder down until I fell or got off balanced enough so he could start cutting me up. I do not want to be on the ground if I am defending against an edged weapon period.

Thanks for sharing all of the great tactics. Perhaps I stated this scenario poorly. I'm mostly wanting to get an idea about which weapon you would choose if attacked; the light or pen? I like the suggested tactics though so please continue to post as to what you deem the most appropriate solution.

Thanks,
    DCG

Senior Moderator
    pen

Fire extinguisher. Empty it in his face, then hit him over the head with it.

Then, invite all the other passengers to a foot-stompin' good time.

When the plane lands, dump his sorry carcass onto the tarmac as a warning to other wannabes.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    pen
    Lol! Lima, I hope I didn't discourage you from posting about how you would handle the scenario. You always have such great insight on how to handle matters, I would hate to think I said anything that might prompt you from responding.

God bless,
    DCG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links