what if?????

what if?????

This is a discussion on what if????? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok first off hear me out and please understand that this is in no way a personal attack on beliefs or the way you may ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: what if?????

what if?????

Ok first off hear me out and please understand that this is in no way a personal attack on beliefs or the way you may or may not think. Moderators and administrators understand this pertains to the scenario section, to draw not draw, what would you dos, ors you see....

Ok so we run through these scenarios day in day out. Most of which are hypothetical, or real which rezently it was a real scenario that i cam here for help. Ive learned numerous things from reading threads and posts in this section. And one of the numerous things i read going through them is "I dont like "what if's"". Its then usually followed by the "every situation is different" or "it never turns out how its planned or what if'd".

Well here is something I thought about. I was on the edge of the "what ifs" thinking i have learned alot from them. I have trainning and continuously seek out more training to prepare. But the situation dictates. Then i was watching my favorite t.v. show and and it popped into my head how important the "what if's" are. (I know learning something from SCRUBS, i think its just as weird/stupid as you probably do)

The main character said, he didnt like thinking about his future, it never turns out how you think. Which made me realize how important it is to think about the future with what if's. What if there is a house fire? A natural disaster? A terrorist attack? These are all what ifs. Do you prepare for them with your family? Do you have a bug out bag? Doyou have rules set? All these based off of the "what ifs"?

So by saying you do not do the whole "what if's", do you not actually do them for your futures? Do you actually just take it when it comes?

My point here is for anyone who posts an "what if" scenario. Your personal belief is yours. Your thought is yours, and this is not an attack at you but more of a thought. You do use "what if's" for your own future, where do you thinkbyou will be in x# of years. All this is, well IF i go to medical school i will be a doctor making x amount of $. Well what about student loans? Did you plan those in? So maybe that big house will have to wait while you live in an apartment to pay off student loans.

What if's are an important aspect of life. To help dictate where we will be. Or to plan how we will react in situations.

So would you draw? Or be a good witness in situations that the OP gives. The OP seeks out insight and help, as have I. By recieving the "I dont like "what if's"" i almost fell into that thought. And it honestly is a major factor in CCW.

So i leave you with this question.

What if there were no "what if's"?
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

VIP Member
    There's a healthy balance. Some of the best things that I've learned here, came from discussions that stemmed from "what if" scenarios. They're also a good way to identify the uniformed and nudge them back on track before somebody gets hurt.

That said, not all "what if" scenarios are equal. In fact, there are some occasional flat-stupid ones that sound like they came from an over-caffeinated 14-yr-old.

Given the stated extremes, I'll still read through and comment on most.

Is there a caboose on this train of thought?
    RonCo likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    ...i think its perspective

its fairly obvious after you stop smoking weed that things about you happen for a reason
    andt helps if you have a plan...

just saying...when one bespeaks the obvious, i have to wonder where they came from
    and if i can figure where they are headed, perhaps i can plan to not be there?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Is there a caboose on this train of thought?
    I think I fell off the caboose. I'm going to take a nap--I'm 70 years old and I am exhausted and have a headache from this thread. With all that went into it, I would hope that it develops a life that helps someone examine whatever their what ifs are.

The OP lost my attention too
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I don't what if things anymore (mostly). Just say home invasion. Before I do my what ifs, I do what are the chances of one to begin with. Then you start...We have a 3 floor home and a gym/mancave for a basement. What if the BG's come in, I am working out, wife is on the sofa on the 2nd floor, son in is room on third. What if, wife in shower, son and I watching TV. What if two guys come in one entrance? Different entrances. I can go on and on. So you what if the worst and make a plan and then don't worry about it. Because in this case of a home invasion, it is not going to go with your plan.

So, was there a scenario in Scrubs that you're basing this question on? Were your eyes closed when you envisioned this scenario?

What if..?

We didn't have a direct connection to your train of thought unless it were to flow from the inside your cranium to the screen in front of you due to some manual input from the keyboard at your fingertips? In that case, we wouldn't know whether or not we could, would or should, let alone if we would.

But then, perhaps in an alternate branch universe, thoughts are directly input onto a screen... I'm sure Steve Jobs is working on that now, wherever he is...

But aside that, if the thoughts will go directly to the screen, why bother to "log in" at all? Why, you could just tune in to "Jerp's thoughts today" directly and we wouldn't need this interwebby thing...

What if THAT? Huh, What if THAT?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Ok the point of this was, to adress the issue of "I dont what if". That a fire drill is caused because of a "what if", a tornado drill, a masked man in a bank robbing the place, catching a girl in need of help because she is about to get raped.... ect...

I dont understand the people who say, i dont what if? And was asking how they could do that? And address the issue of people starting threads, and members posting "i dont what if, the chances of it going that way is 1 in 1000". And people starting threads are looking foreig insight. What if one of the comments someone left was that 1 in 1000? The OP of that thread would be prepared. So if you dont "what if" for the reason of it probably turning out that way, maybe something youd do would help. And Hopefully with his/her trainning and insight from here. Or even put everything together and come up with a way to handle the scenario that are caught in, in the real world.

I go by a saying "prepare for the worst, hope for the best" how is that possible with out the hypothetical? So i was womdering how do they prepare for the worst, with out "what if's"?
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

We all do what if scenarios in our lives every day. It is a basic decision making process. What if I don't bother getting out of bed before I take leak in the morning? So I get out of bed.

I think the biggest concern with what if scenarios as posted on DC here is the infinite number of variables that are impossible to adequately define in a web post. The location of any scenario is going to have unique peculiarities in each of our imaginations based on our personal life experiences. When someone says "you are sitting in a diner" I could be sitting in the Tastee Diner on Woodmont Ave. in Bethesda Maryland, the Dixie Diner, in Kenly, N.C. or the 59 Diner on I-10 in Katy, TX. I don't even know if the first two are still around anymore. Each of them are very different, and my response to any given scenario may be entirely appropriate for one, while entirely inappropriate for the other two. Any other reader responding my post would be basing their post on their personal life experience and training. Unless we were sitting in the same diner at the same time there is no way the scenario would be exactly the same for any of us.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I like the "what if" scenarios. Even if some of the details are missing in the thread, I fill in the gaps in my head. And I take all the responses with a grain of salt - mostly because the details are critical and are usually missing.

But going through the thought process is important. It's obviously impossible to imagine every possible scenario so that we can be prepared for a specific response in the real world. But the more hypotheticals that we go through, the more likely it is that we will have thought through something close enough to get us through the real event.

A good example is the current thread running on the subject of the guy who mistakenly shot a LEO because he thought the guy wasn't a real cop. Although the debate in that thread is interesting, just bringing up this subject was the important point to me. I'm not really too caught up in the details of that particular thread (OK, that's a lie ), but I am caught up in running a bunch of "how would I react if. . ." scenarios in my head. Wouldn't have even thought about it if the thread didn't exist.

That's what I like about the "what ifs".

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    Ok the point of this was, to adress the issue of "I dont what if". That a fire drill is caused because of a "what if", a tornado drill, a masked man in a bank robbing the place, catching a girl in need of help because she is about to get raped.... ect...

I dont understand the people who say, i dont what if? And was asking how they could do that? And address the issue of people starting threads, and members posting "i dont what if, the chances of it going that way is 1 in 1000". And people starting threads are looking foreig insight. What if one of the comments someone left was that 1 in 1000? The OP of that thread would be prepared. So if you dont "what if" for the reason of it probably turning out that way, maybe something youd do would help. And Hopefully with his/her trainning and insight from here. Or even put everything together and come up with a way to handle the scenario that are caught in, in the real world.

I go by a saying "prepare for the worst, hope for the best" how is that possible with out the hypothetical? So i was womdering how do they prepare for the worst, with out "what if's"?
    Well! Now I understand!
    People here look at the scenario posts and say "I don't 'what if.' " So, why do they look at the scenario section at all..?

And you wonder how they can say "I don't what if." After all they may discover or even posit a new means of handling a situation similar to the scenario posted...

Well, I'll let you in on a little secret... every one of them "what ifs" every day... Every day they holster and belt their sidearm, they are participating in the "great what if." You see, the odds are only one in 310 or so that they will die as the result of a firearm assault, that's in the span of their lives... so the odds that "today's the day" are about 1 in 28,000.

So everyone of us "what ifs" every day...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In regards to any stated self-defense scenerio, I maintain a rigid stance of flexibility.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Some people are actually so afraid of the WHAT IFS they conjure up in their minds they can't leave their houses.What counts is if something happens that you react to what your brain is processing at that moment,and not freaking out and run off screaming or are too paralyzed to look at the situation.
    Sometimes the What Ifs get a little on the side of you are more likely to win the Lottery than being dragged off by some hot Amazonian women and turned into their boy toy.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

There are no absolutes with scenarios.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links