Masked men on the property (real situation) - Page 2

Masked men on the property (real situation)

This is a discussion on Masked men on the property (real situation) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Johnsberg- You are correct. I should have notified the police after the first time the white Camry came by casing us out, and especially after ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Masked men on the property (real situation)

Johnsberg- You are correct. I should have notified the police after the first time the white Camry came by casing us out, and especially after the second time. I can't change how I reacted at the time, though. At this point, I just have to stay alert, continue sleeping lightly, and continue ramping up the early warning measures and force multipliers around the property and home.

Jrizzle- You make a good point. I hope that if a situation presents itself, they choose to run.

I think I would be seriously talking to the family about relocation...... if crime is spiking right now, I will guerantee that it is only going to get worse. Thank GOD for smalltown USA..... and even here, I keep a weapon either on me or in reaching distance... my brother says i am paranoid, told him nope, why should I be paranoid, I carry a gun.
    Spec likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

As EagleBeak stated,

Make sure no one in the house shoots a friendly!!! Devise a system of some sort.

You have every reason to be on high alert... The bad guys will probably wait a week
    or so for you to let down your guard before coming back, so be ready in the next few days.

There is a definite chance my family was noticed loading our guns up when heading for the range in the past months. The BGs might not know what we have, but they certainly might know that we have a lot of guns.
    Yes. I'm just finishing up a book titled Burglars On The Job: Streetlife and Residential Break-ins. One point the authors discovered through their research is that criminals tend to target a home for a specific reason. It is rare for them to select a home at random.

You can't discount the possibility that these persons took an interest in your property purely by chance, but the odds are that they are known to you or a family member in some way. The masks reinforce that likelihood.

Consider reinforcing your door jambs. This kind of hardware can prevent a kick-in. Good luck and maintain your SA.
    DC and tcox4freedom like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

As to the frequent drive-by's. Keep your eyes open and your shotty handy. Hopefully it is a pump gun. If I'm in a situation where I can control the point of entry, a shotgun is going to be the preferred weapon of choice.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    With the proliferation of cameras I'm not surprised that BG's are preparing themselves with masks to deter being ID'd later on.

I don't know how cooperative your neighbors would be, but it would be nice to have a meeting and schedule where someone is actively watching your street for suspicious vehicles during the night.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

sgb
    The driveway floodlights had not switched on
    Temporarily at least I'd rig these lights to stay on dusk to dawn
    paramedic70002 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

mkh
    Get a pair of binoculars and use them to read the tags. They aren't night vision goggles but good binocs have great light gathering power and can really help you see better in the dark.

As a LEO,I can tell you that home invasions are way up, and more importantly the violence in which they are carried out with is up,car stereos are not bringing what they use too,this sounds like a home invasion that you happened to thwart just in time,great job on checking your six and not just dusting it off.Now,lets talk about that bump gun,it may be time to upgrade to an A.R.,or a 12 guage,not that the .45 want do the job,but with several guy's,well,you just want to make sure and "bring enough gun"good luck and stay safe!
    Bark'n likes this.

You did Great! Keep your eyes and ears open. Be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by echopeak View Post
    And Arborigine, I'll see what I can do about installing cameras, though I pray that none of my family, friends or I have to kill someone to defend our lives.

I appreciate all the feedback and insight, everyone. Thanks.
    I think you need to try and understand the level of arousal you need on this incident. If you've been cased that much the BGs are NOT going to go away. You have precious little time to fortify your home, install lights and cameras and I'd even put up signs, 'property protected by cameras, alarms and beware of vicious dog', depending on your location/circumstances. (Sometimes it's better not to announce your fortifications, sometimes it is).

Get the 3M material ASAP, and re-do your doors, get an armored screen door (think layers). If you can put up a fence and don't forget your backdoor. IMO, you should look at it as though you have been granted a reprieve. I GUARANTEE you that if you can prevent an invasion, and FEW have such warnings as you have had, then it's well worth it. EVERY bullet has a lawyer attached. If you have to use a firing solution it will cost you 10x what fortifying up will. Do not put it off.

I would call it in every time you get a driveby. You never know there might be a squad in the area and they could bump into these guys.

Good luck and keep us updated.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I was a bit flippant on the video cam comment. Lots of good advice here, but you also don't want to be living under lockdown, once you figure out what is really going on. They could be merely gas thieves, but safer to assume they mean business. I would hide some kind of wireless vid or remotely operated game camera in a plastic pipe or something near the road at 45 degree angle, so you can capture a plate number. Once the cops have a plate number they might be able to find your perps, but they could also be using stolen vehicles or plates.

I would recommend that you take a minute to stop thinking like a home defender. Think like a home invader. Why is your house a more appealing target than your neighbors?

What do you have that they don't?
    What do they have that you don't?

Think about breaking into your house. How would you do it? What are your weaknesses? Case your house both during the day and at night. Bring it up on Google Earth and study it.

I would also add visible security to your house. Increase the number of dust to dawn lights, adjust motion detection lights so that anyone that even turns around in the drive way is lit up.
    tcox4freedom and Bark'n like this.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Who lived there before you who might have had something they want?
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    I was a bit flippant on the video cam comment. Lots of good advice here, but you also don't want to be living under lockdown, once you figure out what is really going on. They could be merely gas thieves, but safer to assume they mean business. I would hide some kind of wireless vid or remotely operated game camera in a plastic pipe or something near the road at 45 degree angle, so you can capture a plate number. Once the cops have a plate number they might be able to find your perps, but they could also be using stolen vehicles or plates.
    Getting the plate number is job #1. But if they are wearing hockey masks and making -multiple- drivebys, then you are at a condition Red risk until you get a plate number and figure out why they are targeting you so intensely. Perhaps you already know. If they're wearing masks, chance are you know them.

They're not using a stolen car if they use the same one each time. Those are short term ditch and grab another situations. But it doesn't matter you need to start somewhere. If you get a number a cop can find it when ditched, tie it in and start to build a lead. I don't know if cops still investigate stuff like that still.

The point of the 3M and layering is so you DON'T have to live in a fortress. You don't have to put bars on your windows - that stuff will resist most entry attempts to the point where you'd have to dismantle the window. Door fortifying is done by getting a $300 screen door for both front and back doors. Even spending $1-2k on getting prepared, NOW, in the face of an actual threat is cheap at 10x the price versus having to defend shooting people in court later.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links