Masked men on the property (real situation) - Page 4

Masked men on the property (real situation)

This is a discussion on Masked men on the property (real situation) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd also get some cheap driveway alarms and spread them out by your doors. Having a chime go off 30 sec before they start pounding ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Masked men on the property (real situation)

I'd also get some cheap driveway alarms and spread them out by your doors. Having a chime go off 30 sec before they start pounding on your door puts you 30 sec closer to your gun. Tape over the red led and shut off the alarm in the day. Agree you should fortify the doors and other actions mentioned above. But for $25 and some batteries you can be really ahead on the power curve.

VIP Member
    When loading up firearms to go shooting, do so in the early morning, when no one is looking, Ideally doing so in an attatched garage with the vehicle backed in, and even better, the door closed.
    Your neighbors, the ones you are networking with,, could be the very problem.
    They may have seen something going on at your place, and posisbly mentioned it to the wrong person, thus, all of your problems.
    Motion detector lights are your friend. Install them on all sides of the house.

Thugs suck..........Good luck,,,,,,,
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Lots of really great advice here. I will just add one more stray thought.....while you and everybody needs to be careful that you don't have a friendly fire (oxymoron right??) incident----at the same time, my point is, pay attention to your "spidey senses" and if something "just feels wierd" PAY ATTENTION!!!!!!!! If your spidey senses "go off" I'd go to condition Red and then call 911 ASAP and bluntly tell the dispatcher that you like a drive-by soonest, as something just doesn't feel right, and you've had recent gang/criminal activity at your house.

I'm not a LEO, but after my own incident where my spidey senses were truly accurate, the LEO's I know and have talked to, all recognized and validated the reality of "spidey-senses" (or whatever term you want to use)--so my guess is that if a LEO got a call to a area where there was known previous activity, and they got a call from a home-owner who said "something's just not right", I'm guessing that they would come screaming...........

Stay safe--and get your family to follow you back to Montana
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

We always had a "key word" , and if someone yelled that out it meant something serious was happening, to call 911 and we had a room for everyone to meet up in & get on the floor or low. That way, I knew if I was shooting, I knew where they were.... and they would be flat on the floor. Another "key " word ..... told them it was me, or me them if it was dark and ran into them in the house or needed them to open the door to that room. The room had 2 doors on opposite sides of the room, and both locked securely from inside the room.

The other advantage was, I had taught my kids a fair amount of German.

I'm not sure I would be opening my door to anyone I didn't know well.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I'd be more inclined to watch your 6,when getting in and out of your vehicle etc.Depending on how far they want to escalate you could find yourself in an ambush type situation outside of the residence.I really hate thugs/gangs it's too bad they can't enact a shoot on sight policy to target the POS
    Bark'n likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'd be more inclined to watch your 6,when getting in and out of your vehicle etc.Depending on how far they want to escalate you could find yourself in an ambush type situation outside of the residence.I really hate thugs/gangs it's too bad they can't enact a shoot on sight policy to target the POS
    I sort of agree. Danger points are when you open the garage door to get a newspaper, put the trash out, or leave for work; and when you or someone else in the house returns.

I think the odds of being ambushed where I am are extremely low, but I prefer to be armed with something when I open the
    garage door first thing in the morning.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    There is a tool that might help you and it might seem silly at first. The tool I'm going to suggest is a two million candle power rechargeable spotlight.

If people are out at the end of your driveway and sneaking around in the night nothing says "I see you" like a spotlight. It will light up your whole world and blind any BG looking at you. They are seriously bright and anyone in the light is going to feel like a cockroach trapped out in the middle of the kitchen floor when the lights are turned on. There is just no hiding from the "big light".

So next time you are in your kitchen looking out and suspect BGs may be lurking go with the BIG light. They are cheap and easy to use, about $30 at just about any sporting goods store.

Using the spotlight on the Camry would have said to the BGs "I'm watching you" in a way that is impossible for them to miss.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

too Bad he didn't have a team of a couple trained attack dogs to release on the first Jason wannabe idjit. His whelps and pleas for help would have been a priceless harmony resonating through the neighborhood at 2am. We raised German sherpherd and pitbulls, and that would have been my first move if some one was creeping around on my land
    Totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Yes. I'm just finishing up a book titled Burglars On The Job: Streetlife and Residential Break-ins. One point the authors discovered through their research is that criminals tend to target a home for a specific reason. It is rare for them to select a home at random.
    Good tip. Almost the complete text of that book can be found in Google Books. Unfortunately, it's done more as a sociological study than a 'how to avoid' book.

Excellent tip on the hardware. Is that something that Lowe's has to install? Did you have them do yours?

[QUOTE=shockwave;2166315]Yes. I'm just finishing up a book titled Burglars On The Job: Streetlife and Residential Break-ins. One point the authors discovered through their research is that criminals tend to target a home for a specific reason. It is rare for them to select a home at random.

You can't discount the possibility that these persons took an interest in your property purely by chance, but the odds are that they are known to you or a family member in some way. The masks reinforce that likelihood.)

I know a guy who was a criminal in a previous life. He related to me that he often cased houses while working for a legitimate painting company. His cover allowed him to observe the life of a community like what time everyone left for work and other daily activities. He would hone in on the more routine oriented families. He was also never caught. I'm just saying that it sounds like several of your neighbors are on board with you to keep watch. Just be sure that you don't ignore remodel construction, painters or even a cable guy during the day. They usually never hit the house they are working at so their cover is never blown.
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

Update: We have been busy fortifying the home and after lengthy discussion my family is on board with staying armed 24/7. We have moved all but our self-defense weapons to a safe place not in the home. We also have an extensive early alert system set up. There have been a few late night and middle of the night suspicious cruise-by's since, and we have reported them to police and seen rapid response. We've been taking shifts throughout the night and have been through a lot more coffee than usual because of it :) (it took a bit for this precaution to be accepted as more than paranoia). We've also had several relatives and friends (and their dogs) staying over randomly to aid in the night shifts (paid in ammo for their time and risk). I've been carrying a second gun with high capacity magazines as well. I love my 1911, but like many of you have said, capacity might matter more if a situation presents itself. The neighbors have been warned to report any suspicious activity and we have all exchanged contact information.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I hope and pray we don't see these BG's again, but we and our neighbors are prepared if there is more trouble.

I would light up the outside of your house like a baseball field during a night game.

Yep. We have most of our floodlights on dusk to dawn, as well as a few new motion sensor floodlights around the property. This will hopefully be a good deterrent.

All great suggestions from very smart and well versed people. Depending on your points of entry there are ways to alert you and everyone. I saw a trip wire that I plan to get for the gate to my back yard. It fires a shotgun shell blank. I am still looking into the legality of this and of course they coupd jump the fence, but mine are high enough that it would take effort. Something like that may wake not only your Dal but the neighbors as well. It's a thought. Again check legality and keep up the good work. You are not paranoid, you are intelligent. Best of luck hope all ends well.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

While burglars and home invaders usually will target a specific house for whatever reason, unless you have a priceless art collection or something they just can't or won't walk away from, hardening your target as you have done, will usually be all it takes for them to go looking for easier pickings elsewhere.

And that is the paradigm. If no one attempts to break in, was there a real threat of it in the first place? And that is something you'll never know.

So, you'll have to explain to the rest of the people in the house that just because nothing happens doesn't mean you were just being paranoid, or that your home wasn't actually a target of a burglary crew at one point. You'll never get an answer to that question.

However, one should learn to live their lives around some sort of consistent security umbrella. The precautions you have taken thus far are not all for naught. You should never become totally complacent that you drop your guard completely, or your already in-place security measures.
    Hopyard likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links