Masked men on the property (real situation)

This is a discussion on Masked men on the property (real situation) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great job. I would still suggest you try to get a license plate number. You can't remain on high alert indefinitely....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Masked men on the property (real situation)

Great job. I would still suggest you try to get a license plate number. You can't remain on high alert indefinitely.

2. Remove Ads

Doing our best to get one. The road runs perpendicular to the viewpoints from the windows, so it can be difficult to see a license plate without stepping outside(an act of engagement we don't necessarily want to do). We are going to try to get the neighbors to get one next time a cruise-by occurs as they have a better POV of the road.

Can you place an IR game camera to cover the road, perhaps close enough to get a plate number?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    This is serious stuff... Stay Armed and Stay Safe... my advice... is tactical training with your family while in your house... do a general situation or the "What if game". Pick the two most likely things that the thug would do to enter the house. Sure it is not all of them but you cannot train for every situation.

Then do a house clearing or who is shooting where/panic room etc. etc. Some sort of organization is better than none.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

mel
    First off welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good information, and some that might not be so. I will say that the alertness that you showed, along with man's best friend probably headed off a very ugly situation. I would make a couple of quick suggestions.

First, get some NY door jamb locks for the doors of your house. They are not very expensive, and they could provide you with a few needed seconds to be able to take appropriate defensive action.

Two, a camera that has the ability to take pictures with little or no light.

Third, as others have said some game cameras with Night/IR that can be turned on and off remotely, video would be preferable.

Last, but not least keep your cell phone along with your ppg close enough that you can have it in your hands within seconds.

I wish you the best of luck with your situation, it sounds like you are taking some good steps, be safe.

How about parking a car in the street and placing a gam camera on the grill on the car or on the dashboard to grab a plate number. You could install one inside a cheap mail box with a hole drilled thru the mail box. They will never see the hole.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    So you're lit up like a commercial airport and they're still possibly checking you out? Good grief! This is movie plot stuff here. Anybody now or previously in that house in the Witness Protection Program/work for the CIA/commit a terrorist act/rob a jewelry store/etc.? You, or a neighbor, are getting some serious attention.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Two words. Honey Badger.
    CowboyColby and echopeak like this.

Lot's of good advice here and I too will add my 2 cents. I moved FROM a situation and neighborhood "the hood" as you described. Was a great neighborhood for a long time then the government got involved (Section 8, etc.) and it went down hill fast. Fortunately, I had enough time in and retired from work and MOVED to the country. My house was on the market for three years and ended up giving it away to shed responsibility and let the animals self destruct.

It's hard on your health being condition yellow / orange in your own home and not sleeping the way your body needs. For good night sleep(s), piece of mind and your families well being, the only logical solution is to move if you can afford it.

Good luck and stay safe!
    echopeak likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Two words. Honey Badger.
    Is this what I think it is from? Please explain...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Is this what I think it is from? Please explain...
    Honey badger needs no explaination. I don't know what you think it's from. Google would be your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Two words. Honey Badger.
    Thanks for the laugh. It would be the perfect guard animal. How the heck do you train it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    Lot's of good advice here and I too will add my 2 cents. I moved FROM a situation and neighborhood "the hood" as you described. Was a great neighborhood for a long time then the government got involved (Section 8, etc.) and it went down hill fast. Fortunately, I had enough time in and retired from work and MOVED to the country. My house was on the market for three years and ended up giving it away to shed responsibility and let the animals self destruct.

It's hard on your health being condition yellow / orange in your own home and not sleeping the way your body needs. For good night sleep(s), piece of mind and your families well being, the only logical solution is to move if you can afford it.

Good luck and stay safe!
    Dennis1209- This neighborhood has a lot of government housing nearby, lots of drug/gang activity (what city doesn't nowadays?). I'm glad to hear you got out.

I do not like staying in condition yellow or orange around the clock, as it's been since I got back here from Montana. Sleeping with one eye open all the time has taken a toll and has brought my migraine headaches back with a vengeance.

I plan to do so as soon as possible. The past months here back in the city have been more than enough for the rest of my life. I would like my family to do the same, but they have work and school. I fear that they won't be leaving anytime soon. Maybe this trouble we've had lately will be a catalyst to change their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by MBRIDER View Post
    This is the type of thing that scares the heck out of me with my wife staying home with the kids all day. We live in the burbs in WI but are on a semi busy street with a parole office two blocks down. We get all kinds of strange dudes walking by the house all day long. Lucky I have a well trained large black dog that loves to bark his head off at anyone that walks down the sidewalk and he is always off leash which I hope makes the riffraff uneasy... But I am gone all day and she does not want to carry a gun being with our small children all day.
    Good on you for having a dog. I might push her to carry 24/7. It took a lengthy discussion/debate with my family before they accepted that they should be armed all the time as well (especially in the house). They all have their CCW, but had never carried 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    So you're lit up like a commercial airport and they're still possibly checking you out? Good grief! This is movie plot stuff here. Anybody now or previously in that house in the Witness Protection Program/work for the CIA/commit a terrorist act/rob a jewelry store/etc.? You, or a neighbor, are getting some serious attention.
    Nope, none of us has been involved in anything like that. No drugs or anything, either. I only just moved back after three years out in Montana on a ranch, so I don't know how it could be specifically related to myself or family.

I am inclined to believe we are being targeted because of our guns. There is nothing else of value here. No high-theft or expensive trucks or vehicles, no fancy TV, no million-dollar artwork. There is a good chance that my family was seen loading up the guns for range day (they have never been very discreet about it until now).

We've continued to have multiple cruise-bys late at night and early morning. No other suspicious activity. We are keeping vigilant.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links