Masked men on the property (real situation)

This is a discussion on Masked men on the property (real situation) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by echopeak Nope, none of us has been involved in anything like that. No drugs or anything, either. I only just moved back ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Masked men on the property (real situation)

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by echopeak View Post
    Nope, none of us has been involved in anything like that. No drugs or anything, either. I only just moved back after three years out in Montana on a ranch, so I don't know how it could be specifically related to myself or family.

I am inclined to believe we are being targeted because of our guns. There is nothing else of value here. No high-theft or expensive trucks or vehicles, no fancy TV, no million-dollar artwork. There is a good chance that my family was seen loading up the guns for range day (they have never been very discreet about it until now).

We've continued to have multiple cruise-bys late at night and early morning. No other suspicious activity. We are keeping vigilant.
    My question to you is; "Who knows you have guns in the home?"

I'll be honest, I'm still on the fence as to rather or not this is a legit situation; or if you're just a AG'er plant trying to stir up trouble. But, if this is legit and you are being targeted for your firearms, you are definitely in a VERY DANGEROUS situation. You really need to do whatever it takes to fortify your home; AND you need to do it NOW!!!!

You also need to keep LE in the loop & up to date on the descriptions of vehicles & people that you may suspect. It sounds to me like you may have told the wrong person about having guns in the home and they told somebody who has connections to some very bad people.

-

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I have always carried at home and will contiinue to, I think you're doing the rigth things put up some more camera's and stay alert...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Tcox: This is a very real situation. I have no desire to stir up trouble here. I posted originally to gain insight into the situation, get some answers to my concerns and questions, get some advice on fortifying and alert measures, as well as to figure out if I was being justifiably paranoid or if I was overreacting to petty neighborhood shenanigans. We have noticed suspicious activity almost every night since the original incident with the individuals in hockey masks, with cruise-by's late at night. Not just a car slowing up when passing the property, but the car slowing up severely with all occupants staring at the home and property intently.

I guess I needed to put a disclaimer on the last post or from the very start explaining this: I am inclined to believe we are being targeted ONLY because the firearms we own are the only valuable things in this house and because my family has not been discreet in the past about how they load up for the range. We are on a more major road with heavy traffic throughout the day, including bus routes. It is ONLY speculation at this point that the BGs want our guns, but the cruising by and apparent casing out activity is very weird. We have reported all suspicious vehicles and activity to the police, with the best identifying information on the vehicles and occupants we can get. We are keeping shifts with help from relatives and friends throughout the night watching the road and for any suspicious activity. We have fortified the home well, put up extensive early alert systems, put up more floodlights set dusk to dawn, and are keeping armed and vigilant.

We have discussed who knows we have guns in this home at length and cannot figure out anyone who may have spread the news on to bad people. None of us have ever been involved in gang or drug activity, witness protection, or anything that would make us an obvious target. This does not mean it is impossible to have happened in the way you suggest. Moving away would be a nice potential solution, but for the time being it is not a viable option.

Law enforcement knows there has been very suspicious activity recently, but we have not stated that we own firearms and suspect we could be a target because of this. Is this something to mention as a possibility to LE or is that something better left unsaid for now?

echo,

Do you have a good gun safe so that if you aren't home and someone does break in they can't just grab and go with your firearms. If not, and if it isn't in the budget right now, you might find a trusted friend to hold onto "extra" guns that aren't being carried or used for home defense.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

A good gun safe is not in the budget, so ALL of our guns except our home defense guns are in a safe and secure place not in the home, not in this city. If we leave the home unoccupied, all the home defense guns come with us, no guns remain in the house. I will state it again, this is all under the speculation that we are most likely being targeted for our guns.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Check your vehicles tires, tail gates, rear bumpers, etc, and see if they have been marked. If they followed family home from the range. Or they may have just seen family memebers unload them when getting home. I'd be more concerned when the family goes out of town that could be what they are looking for or waiting for.

Its sounds like your on alert and the family has a plan. Remain safe

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Thanks for the laugh. It would be the perfect guard animal. How the heck do you train it?
    You don't train a honey badger. You let them deciede...

Honey badger don't care
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

A good gun safe is not in the budget, so ALL of our guns except our home defense guns are in a safe and secure place not in the home, not in this city. If we leave the home unoccupied, all the home defense guns come with us, no guns remain in the house. I will state it again, this is all under the speculation that we are most likely being targeted for our guns.
    echo;
    Criminals that target people for the firearms can be VERY dangerous. If they hit your home, (esp in a "multiple" badguy HIR), it will be fast & violent. I don't care what you have to do, (SELL something, ANYTHING!), in order to get the money you need to fortify your home.

I personally don't believe for a minute you can sell or trade something that will help you get a safe for a $100. You can also do some very simple & inexpensive things that can help you fortify your home while you are there.

(Just take a trip to your local Lowes, Home Depot or hardware store & visit the "Home Security" department.)

You've already been given a whole bunch of GREAT advice. But, no matter what anyone says you seem to always come back with a negative comment. (This is what keeps me on the fence about whether or not you're a troll.)

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt & so are many others. This (if legit), is an EXTREMELY urgent situation that is POTENTIALLY life threatening & VERY dangerous!

You absolutely MUST do what you can to fortify your home & keep your family safe; and you need to act NOW!!!

-

You are absolutely correct, we could certainly sell something to get even a cheap gun safe. As I've mentioned already, we have moved all but our carry guns and home defense guns out of the home to a safe and secure place elsewhere. At this point, we are taking all guns with us if we are leaving the home unoccupied, so money towards a gun safe might be better put towards fortifying even more, since we have nothing to put in a gun safe for the time being. Please explain if you believe a gun safe would still be in our best interest (gather the BGs attention or focus, allowing us to defend as necessary? Focus their attack on one point of the home? Have them notice we installed one and decide it is not worth their risk?)

Also, I have stated several times that we have fortified the home very well. And that we have an extensive early alarm system. We have taken the advice from many of you guys and put it in practice in fortifying our home and preparing for trouble, even if I did not specifically comment in return for certain tips. If there are BGs reading this, I don't necessarily want them to know ALL that we have done to keep them out of the house and keep us ready if they somehow still get inside, so I have occasionally been intentionally vague about our fortifications or preparedness. I apologize if this vagueness led to confusion as to whether we are taking the advice seriously or not.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    echo;
    You've already been given a whole bunch of GREAT advice. But, no matter what anyone says you seem to always come back with a negative comment. (This is what keeps me on the fence about whether or not you're a troll.)
    -
    I have read through all of my replies and I have been gracious for the advice and accepted tips from folks, or been stating facts for an update where I am very forthright (maybe this is where you sense negativity?). I apologize if a reply of mine sounded serious to the point of being cold or negative.

I will say again, I appreciate all of the tips here. They have been very helpful for us fortifying our home, setting up extensive prevention measures, giving us force multipliers, early alert around the property, and getting us prepared for any trouble that may still come. Thanks for the concern and support.

Ia anything keeping you from getting the IR game cameras set up near the street?

You are absolutely correct, we could certainly sell something to get even a cheap gun safe. As I've mentioned already, we have moved all but our carry guns and home defense guns out of the home to a safe and secure place elsewhere. At this point, we are taking all guns with us if we are leaving the home unoccupied, so money towards a gun safe might be better put towards fortifying even more, since we have nothing to put in a gun safe for the time being. Please explain if you believe a gun safe would still be in our best interest (gather the BGs attention or focus, allowing us to defend as necessary? Focus their attack on one point of the home? Have them notice we installed one and decide it is not worth their risk?)

Also, I have stated several times that we have fortified the home very well. And that we have an extensive early alarm system. We have taken the advice from many of you guys and put it in practice in fortifying our home and preparing for trouble, even if I did not specifically comment in return for certain tips. If there are BGs reading this, I don't necessarily want them to know ALL that we have done to keep them out of the house and keep us ready if they somehow still get inside, so I have occasionally been intentionally vague about our fortifications or preparedness. I apologize if this vagueness led to confusion as to whether we are taking the advice seriously or not.

I have read through all of my replies and I have been gracious for the advice and accepted tips from folks, or been stating facts for an update where I am very forthright (maybe this is where you sense negativity?). I apologize if a reply of mine sounded serious to the point of being cold or negative.

I will say again, I appreciate all of the tips here. They have been very helpful for us fortifying our home, setting up extensive prevention measures, giving us force multipliers, early alert around the property, and getting us prepared for any trouble that may still come. Thanks for the concern and support.
    No problem,
    I might add that one of the best things you can do is go to the local shelter & adopt "two" dogs. I say "two" because some criminals aren't put off by having to deal with one dog. But, having to deal with multiple dogs once inside a home often deters them from attempting anything.

I suggest getting medium/large size dogs. But, even two little yapping ankle biters is enough to give you an unrelenting alarm system; while at the same time being a pretty good deterrence to most criminals. Like I said before, you are in a critical situation; that can turn EXTREMELY dangerous. You need to continue to take every precaution available.

Take Care-

If we set some up, we'd be catching hundreds of cars a day, plus a lot of foot traffic from people heading towards the bus route up the street and folks walking their dogs. It would not be impossible, especially if we only turned it on at night. We've have thought about putting some up around our vehicles on the property to get film of anyone prowling around or if they are attempting to enter the home. Most of the game cameras we have researched seem to be too large to easily hide near the road without getting noticed, but if you know of any smaller versions, we'd love to hear about them.

We do have outdoor alarms in place that we can set off from inside, as well as handheld spotlights if we get anybody attempting to enter the home. Our fortifications will hold them from getting inside quickly, no matter if they attempt windows or doors, and the alarms and spotlighting might make them want to escape the property asap. If that is not enough to deter them, we are prepared to defend ourselves as necessary inside our home and have worked out safe ways to communicate and defend with one another's help as well as safe areas to take cover and defend from.

Please don't get offended that I am not fully choosing to go with your idea. We appreciate the tips, and have gotten a lot of good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    No problem,
    I might add that one of the best things you can do is go to the local shelter & adopt "two" dogs. I say "two" because some criminals aren't put off by having to deal with one dog. But, having to deal with multiple dogs once inside a home often deters them from attempting anything.

I suggest getting medium/large size dogs. But, even two little yapping ankle biters is enough to give you an unrelenting alarm system; while at the same time being a pretty good deterrence to most criminals. Like I said before, you are in a critical situation; that can turn EXTREMELY dangerous. You need to continue to take every precaution available.

Take Care-
    While we have not adopted any dogs from a shelter, we have my one year old pup. We have also been "indefinitely dogsitting" one or two of my aunt and uncles two dogs, plus my friends German Shepherd on occasion. It makes for a full house, but adds to us feeling prepared for what could come. Also, we've had relatives and friends staying over randomly to add to backup defenders in the house if need be. Hopefully the added vehicles in our drive, added manpower inside, as well as extra dogs will make us an undesirable target.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    A cheap version of a gun safe is a big steel box or ammo boxes with adequate lock hasps welded to it. Lag bolt the box from the inside to the floor joists or wall studs. It won't stop a burgler with a bolt cutter or cutting torch, but it can't just be carried away either.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links