Masked men on the property (real situation)

This is a discussion on Masked men on the property (real situation) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by echopeak While we have not adopted any dogs from a shelter, we have my one year old pup. We have also been ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Masked men on the property (real situation)

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by echopeak View Post
    While we have not adopted any dogs from a shelter, we have my one year old pup. We have also been "indefinitely dogsitting" one or two of my aunt and uncles two dogs, plus my friends German Shepherd on occasion. It makes for a full house, but adds to us feeling prepared for what could come. Also, we've had relatives and friends staying over randomly to add to backup defenders in the house if need be. Hopefully the added vehicles in our drive, added manpower inside, as well as extra dogs will make us an undesirable target.
    I think you're on the right track. Keep in mind the ultimate goal in self-defense is NOT to be chosen as a victim in the first place. I suggest you keep following all the good advice you've been given.

Are you keeping a "log" of all the drive-by casing that you say has been taking place?
    If not, you may want to do so.
    If so, review the log to see if you can establish any sort of pattern. (Times, days of the week, car used, etc)

Using this information may enable you to gather more useful information for the police. You may also be able to set up a little stakeout of your own so you can get license plate #'s, suspect descriptions & perhaps a video or a few pictures. Any/All of this may help you bring a stop to any potential problems.

Honestly, "most" bad guys will go elsewhere if they know you are on to them and are watching them carefully. In a bad guys mind, it's all about the BIGGEST reward for the LEAST amount of risk.

As a GG, you can ONLY do to things:
    • One: Make a BG think there is "NO" reward to be had by victimizing you or your home.
    • TWO: Make the "RISK" to the BG so great; that he chooses to find a much "easier" target.

If you can accomplish "BOTH" of the above, you WIN and the BG will go elsewhere.

-

2. Remove Ads

I have read everything, and it sounds like you are doing all you can to catch or deter them. I applaud you.

I have two suggestions, get a low light camera that wirelessly uploads to a server, or saves to a micro sd card. I am not talking about one of those units from lowes, but go online, find just a camera mounted to a circuit board. They can be cheap and you can rig them to a switch or motion detector. Lots smaller than a game camera, and a good enough one will get a better picture.

In the event you have not been as successful in deterring them as well as you hope, you may look into stun grenades, flash bangs and CS gas grenades. The downside of each is the effect and the requirements. Gas you need to have a mask for, and anyone else who may be effected by should have one aswell. Stun grenades are hard to get and are usually of the cuncusion type. Area and arrangement of the room are large factors. Flash bangs work best if they are looking at them, the noise is deafening but the flash is the real killer. Especially in a dark room. They would most likely be temporary blinded. With CS gas you can get a canister with a hose so you don't have to be in the room such as a garage or other room you don't want to be in.

Vests may sound stupid, but if they are coming in hot then you need to think about ramifications. Bluetooth for your phone may not be a bad idea, you can talk and move at the same time.

If you plan for the less lethal grenades, when you call the LE if the BGs come in warn your fellow man. Have them take precautions, and identify clearly. Also have zip ties. It sounds like a waste of time but if you don't have to pull a trigger then you save money and you have less people in the equation.

My signature means if you seek peace, prepare for war.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    So any updates? I've been following this from the start
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Stun grenades?? How does the average guy legally access stun grenades?

Quote Originally Posted by killam1357 View Post
    I have read everything, and it sounds like you are doing all you can to catch or deter them. I applaud you.

I have two suggestions, get a low light camera that wirelessly uploads to a server, or saves to a micro sd card. I am not talking about one of those units from lowes, but go online, find just a camera mounted to a circuit board. They can be cheap and you can rig them to a switch or motion detector. Lots smaller than a game camera, and a good enough one will get a better picture.

In the event you have not been as successful in deterring them as well as you hope, you may look into stun grenades, flash bangs and CS gas grenades. The downside of each is the effect and the requirements. Gas you need to have a mask for, and anyone else who may be effected by should have one aswell. Stun grenades are hard to get and are usually of the cuncusion type. Area and arrangement of the room are large factors. Flash bangs work best if they are looking at them, the noise is deafening but the flash is the real killer. Especially in a dark room. They would most likely be temporary blinded. With CS gas you can get a canister with a hose so you don't have to be in the room such as a garage or other room you don't want to be in.

Vests may sound stupid, but if they are coming in hot then you need to think about ramifications. Bluetooth for your phone may not be a bad idea, you can talk and move at the same time.

If you plan for the less lethal grenades, when you call the LE if the BGs come in warn your fellow man. Have them take precautions, and identify clearly. Also have zip ties. It sounds like a waste of time but if you don't have to pull a trigger then you save money and you have less people in the equation.

My signature means if you seek peace, prepare for war.

Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

You can get them online. Or make them, it is usually along the lines of a primer in a vented tube with a striker mechanism. It is a lot like a loud gun shot with cuncusion, you don't want shrapnel, but kinda like a shot going off next to your head and getting hit in the chest.

It is nothing like in the games, it is just used to disorient.

Glad to read this

Echo,

I realize you might see this as your post is a few months old. Still, I had a slightly similar scare less than two weeks ago, only it was much less intense. I'll provide an account of it here just in case anyone has some ideas as to what this sketchy person was up to:

Around 7:30 AM, I went down to my car so I could get to school early to do some last minute prep for my exam. Immediately after exiting my apartment I heard really loud hip hop music being played in the street. As I was walking to my car I noticed the music was coming from a 90s make gold toyota camry. This car was parked right by our complex's dumpster, recycle dumpster, trash compactor area. The driver's side doors were both completely open. I did not see a driver. I entered my car and as I was backing up this car drove right be me, seeming to slow down as it passed. I looked and the driver had on a blue hooded jacket with the hood drawn and a white hockey mask (that appeared to be made out of plastic). This was not a particularly cold morning. I would discount this as a haloween prank had it been closer to Halloween, but this was in the beginning of October.

2 hours later, after my exam, I filed a report with the apartment and with the police.

Today, almost two weeks later, I noticed a similar looking car in the parking lot with a yellow tag taped over the license plate that read "stolen license plate" (or something to that effect).

Two questions:
    Why wear a hockey mask at 7AM in the morning on a weekday?
    What does the yellow tag taped over the license plate mean? That the car's original tag was stolen OR that the car had a stolen tag attached?

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    It sounds like you need a Benelli M4 and/or a Ruger SR-556 or equivalent. I think your problem is very real. I would suggest cameras (night vision capable) all around also, and a couple of mean dogs. Two dogs at least (not 1).

You did everything right warning ur family and nieghbors . keep ur head calm and cool keep notifing the police of any activity. and this is a thought (suggestion) only try to carry a revolver instead of a semi auto because in time of need you dont ur gun jamming on you just a thought !!!!! welcome Eddie from miami.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links