Smash And Grabs in Jewelry Stores "What Can We Do Senario"

This is a discussion on Smash And Grabs in Jewelry Stores "What Can We Do Senario" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here in Houston we have had a rash of jewlery store roberies. From what I see these scumbags have found how to way to get ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Smash And Grabs in Jewelry Stores "What Can We Do Senario"

Smash And Grabs in Jewelry Stores "What Can We Do Senario"

Here in Houston we have had a rash of jewlery store roberies. From what I see these scumbags have found how to way to get a big return with low time served if caught.
    Let me explaine: robery in Texas can be 2 -20 years / armed robery 5 - 99 years
    Example: If Bob walked up to Joe and pressed a finger into his back and said he had a gun and that Joe must give him his wallet, that would be a robbery. Joe was placed in fear that he would be physically hurt if he did not give up his wallet. However, if Bob really did use a gun or if Joe really did get hurt, Bob's crime would be elevated to aggravated (or "armed") robbery.

That being said let me put you in the senario.

You are a permit holder in a jewlery store shopping then all of a sudden a group of people come in with small hammers smashing the glass cases while others stuff
    their bags with jewlery.
    1) they are not threating you or the clerk with the hammers
    2) they are not focus on you or anyone else ( just the breaking the cases)
    3) no demands are made

What can you do as a CHL holder, Your life or any ones life is not being threatend ( like a convience store robbery) so it make it difficult to justify firing your weapon.
    I'm sure one could make the argument that, you didn't know if they would hit you with the hammer because it all happend so fast. I'm sure you'll find yourself in another
    court fighting that charge if you shot someone.

Let me know what you think

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goinpostal View Post
    Here in Houston we have had a rash of jewlery store roberies. From what I see these scumbags have found how to way to get a big return with low time served if caught.
    Let me explaine: robery in Texas can be 2 -20 years / armed robery 5 - 99 years
    Example: If Bob walked up to Joe and pressed a finger into his back and said he had a gun and that Joe must give him his wallet, that would be a robbery. Joe was placed in fear that he would be physically hurt if he did not give up his wallet. However, if Bob really did use a gun or if Joe really did get hurt, Bob's crime would be elevated to aggravated (or "armed") robbery.

That being said let me put you in the senario.

You are a permit holder in a jewlery store shopping then all of a sudden a group of people come in with small hammers smashing the glass cases while others stuff
    their bags with jewlery.
    1) they are not threating you or the clerk with the hammers
    2) they are not focus on you or anyone else ( just the breaking the cases)
    3) no demands are made

What can you do as a CHL holder, Your life or any ones life is not being threatend ( like a convience store robbery) so it make it difficult to justify firing your weapon.
    I'm sure one could make the argument that, you didn't know if they would hit you with the hammer because it all happend so fast. I'm sure you'll find yourself in another

Do nothing unless they come at you with the hammer and you truly feel they are going to bonk you on the head. You do not have a responsibility to the store. And, quite frankly, I'm not sure the store wants you to intervene.

If you act, it should be to save the princess from the plunderer, and not to save the princess cut diamond from the plunderer.

Seek cover if available, be a good witness, dial 911, prepare to defend yourself and others IF threatened...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

You're in a difficult situation. Seriously outnumbered by a bunch of people with weapons. Hammers can easily cause death or leave you with with life altering injuries. If you draw your gun, they may flee, but they may also attack by throwing hammers, then kill you for messing with them.

However, all bets are off if you have done nothing and they come after you. Draw and fire.

I don't go to Jewlery Stores at 64 YO. My wife has all she needs. However If I hear a ruckus at one, I will check for cover and observe while dialing 911 for the Police who will be there in 10 minutes to fill out the "Report of what Happened Earlier". The police report the aftermath of the issue not prevent it. BTW more Civilians kill more perps than the Police do every year and that is a FBI Stat!
    hienykins likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by goinpostal View Post

What do the Texas Statutes say you can do? If you have your CHL it should have been covered in class.

I will give you a hint, it is PC 9.42, and 9.43 in the statutes.

However what you can do by law and what you choose to do aren't necessarily the same thing always.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

If there is no threat to you and it’s not your store why would you get involved other than being a witness? You’re not a cop and No one is getting hurt; if you pull it might get you in trouble. I would be ready just in case they decided to change plans

Become a LEO if you want to enforce the law. Unless they are threatening you or loved one

Hammers are lethal weapons.

Hammers definitely are lethal and can cause great bodily injury. I worked at a High School, and a lovers quarrel concluded with one boy grabbing a hammer off of the wood shop class wall and hitting another boy ONCE in the back of the head. The kid barely lived, has stroke like damage to one side of his body, permanent brain damage and can not see out of one eye.

If they came at you protect yourself otherwise I would take cover, crank up the SA even more and be a good witness. Hopefully be able to call 911, but not worth risking your life to try.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

In the scenario you gave they are there for the jewelry, it is insured so let them have it. Be a good witness and not a hero. If the situation changes and they begin to threaten people with the hammers, then it may be time to drop the hammer on your weapon.
    killam1357 and TonyDTrigger like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    So are pens. I saw a guy get killed with a pen in a movie.

If someone walks within 21 feet of you with a pen, I recommend you immediately prepare to draw while calling 911....

Sarcasm-Motivational-Poster-house-md-3805895-500-400.jpg

Not all Jewelry stores are insured. Those that are usually have huge deductables.

If I'm working in the store or if it's one of my friends' stores, I would draw but not fire unless approached.

But if I have no emotional tie to the store I'd play it safe and as low key as the situation dictates for people's survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    Not all Jewelry stores are insured. Those that are usually have huge deductables.

If I'm working in the store or if it's one of my friends' stores, I would draw but not fire unless approached.

But if I have no emotional tie to the store I'd play it safe and as low key as the situation dictates for people's survival.
    20080727_Whats-Love-Got-To-Do-With-It_Week6_splash.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Make the world a better place - shoot a carpenter today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links