attempted abduction in WI (real story, i know them)

This is a discussion on attempted abduction in WI (real story, i know them) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; here is the link it is also a scenario…. she doesnt have her permit yet. and the husband is leaving for the military soon. i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: attempted abduction in WI (real story, i know them)

attempted abduction in WI (real story, i know them)

here is the link it is also a scenario…. she doesnt have her permit yet. and the husband is leaving for the military soon. i am on the "immediate call list" should anything be happening, or she needs something. its a scenario now, because myself and the husband (of course leaving names outta it, and yes i do have their permission to share, hoping maybe someone has pointers to the story on here.)

right now, he currently took off work for the week, and is with her every minute. He has his CCW, and is an ex LEO, and military LEO of over a decade. they have ampped up security features of the house. As for while he is gone, she is moving in with her mother… no word on when she gets her permit….

pointers, tips, prayers for the BG to get caught and for her to get over it (she is pretty shaken up), and anything else in the scenario based seen will help thank you!

heres the link
    Attempted abduction is reported - Watertown Daily Times Online : News: abduction,

thanks again all!
    Jerp
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

2. Remove Ads

If you let them get up behind you and get the jump on you with your child you are starting from a bad possition. CHL or not, you may have to go along for at least a little while. Situational awareness is the number one solution to not getting caught in this type of situation.

Shooting someone from inside the vehicle while a small child is in the car would not be high on my option list.

The gal did the best she could given the circumstances. The only other thing that might have helped would have been to follow the guy while talking to police so he would be sure to get caught and off the streets.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Well, down in Florida there have been a couple of different cities where that was happening, and the women were being found dead. They were grabbing women with children, figuring they would be more cooperative with a child to protect and with them. Several women down there ended up dead.

Maybe he's moved, or someone else is duplicating their methods. It does not say this guy had a weapon, whereas the one's in Florida they did.

Situational awareness # 1. She obviously wasn't paying attention to who was in the parking lot, anyone approaching, etc.
    So, first is getting her to realize... to pay attention.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    A good-sized, protective dog in the car may have prevented this...........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    You nor the story said anything about whether the man was armed. If armed, especially with a small child in the situation, your options are rather limited. Play it by ear and do what you need to do to survive. If no apparent weapons are involved, now is the time to use a good dose of pepper spray on the BG.

Always keep your head on a swivel and know what is going on around you.
    Spade115 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Being armed can certainly help, but without SA your goose is cooked.
    A woman on our school staff had a 'hooded dirtbag' come from behind her while she was strapping in her child in the back seat. He only demanded money, which she gave him.
    The next day she was talking about getting a CCW permit...that talk has since stopped. I'm not sure that her 'wake up call' got her full attention.
    Glad your friend is O.K., hopefully she will become a bit more alert and carry a weapon that she has learned to use.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The time and effort that it takes to wrestle a child into the seat takes a lot away from one's SA. It would be prudent to quickly enter the backseat from the opposite side of the vehicle and close the door while performing the task. I would say also lock the doors but one would need to know if the rear doors are child locks or not. Elsewise, you couldn't get back out without crawling over the seat.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

Ok, details that were left out of the story, but i do know. 1.) Its a house, car was along curb of street, hence back to side walk. 2.) She said she saw the guy just walking down the sidewalk. Didnt think anything of it, he came up from behind and started to choke her, then forced her into the car to drive, where he got in back seat to have control over kid. 3.) No weapons in play. 4.) He said if she didnt do what he said he would hurt/choke the child. Now of course, by pulling into a public place where people can see, she made the right call. Those are some details that were missing.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

If the child was properly strapped in, an alternate method would be to wreck the car - at least enough to cause bystanders to come running. She'd be protected by the airbag and could brace and suddenly swerve into a wall at an angle (minimal damage and maximal impact and attention. I think also it would have been better to throw the keys (maybe she exited with the keys?) than to leave the kid completely. After you get to the populated area, you should choose to fight him in the backseat while yelling "help, rape". Glad it turned out better than that.

Also, though we don't like to do it, it's better to get a neighbor to watch your six when you have to load up with your back to the seat, or at least have pepper spray in your hand with a palm strap.

I shared this with my wife. She has talked about getting her permit but needs a little encouragement.

Does she carry spray or a knife? Where did the guy get into the car? If he forced her into the car adn she was securing her child, then he would of walked around the car to get into the passengers seat she could of locked the door and jumped in gunning it out of there. if he jumped into the back seat thats another question.

Also could she of hit him with her car when he exited?
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    One thing's for sure. If she had been able to get a firearm into play it would be a hands down good shoot. Nobody is going to fault a mom for popping a cap or three into somebody like that.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    Ok, details that were left out of the story, but i do know. 1.) Its a house, car was along curb of street, hence back to side walk. 2.) She said she saw the guy just walking down the sidewalk. Didnt think anything of it, he came up from behind and started to choke her, then forced her into the car to drive, where he got in back seat to have control over kid. 3.) No weapons in play. 4.) He said if she didnt do what he said he would hurt/choke the child. Now of course, by pulling into a public place where people can see, she made the right call. Those are some details that were missing.
    As others have said, regardless of whether she carries a gun or not, she is going to have to develop some situational awareness skills, and not just dismiss things you observe and make yourself vulnerable.

For example, she saw the guy walking down the side walk approaching. Instead of stopping what she was doing and stay prepared to act, she continued what she was doing and turned her back on him. Trust me, he was sizing her up during his entire approach, looking for cues from her which would have told him to find someone else.

When I am loading groceries in the car and I notice someone approaching on foot down the aisle, I quit loading groceries and turn to face them. I adjust the grocery cart so I have an obstacle between me and the stranger and then act like I'm fiddling around with something in the basket while I keep an eye on them. I also make direct eye contact with them and either nod or mumble something to let them know I acknowledge their presence and I am watching as they approach.

These are some of the skills she's going to have to develop regardless of carrying a gun. She's going to have to develop a lifestyle of paying attention to what's going on around her and not just dismiss everyone you see as being harmless.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I know in NC you can apply for an "emergency permit" which can be issued almost immediately. This might be an option in WI, but I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    Does she carry spray or a knife? Where did the guy get into the car? If he forced her into the car adn she was securing her child, then he would of walked around the car to get into the passengers seat she could of locked the door and jumped in gunning it out of there. if he jumped into the back seat thats another question.

Also could she of hit him with her car when he exited?
    This is what I was thinking, except that once he was out of the car he was no longer a threat so you couldn't use deadly force, to bad though, it would be fitting, just not legal.
    Very scary, sounds like she did well considering what she had to work with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links