New member with an intro and a question

This is a discussion on New member with an intro and a question within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Welcome aboard from the MS Gulf Coast. I would have came to the door armed and would not have opened it until I could have ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New member with an intro and a question

Welcome aboard from the MS Gulf Coast.

I would have came to the door armed and would not have opened it until I could have positively confirmed your identity.

Your demeanor and actions would have determined whether you left with the same number of orifices that you arrived with.

2. Remove Ads

me/we have always had an open door policy to people that drink. I much rather have someone crash on my couch then crash into it. we have over the years had many a friend sleep on the couch to save then the risk of killing someone or getting a dwi’s. I guess every ones different and some don’t see things different but I for one have never put a friend out.

As far as what you did, I would have thrown you a blanket and let you crash on the couch and when it was a better time gave you a ride home but like I said that’s me
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio. After reading what you said happened, I think you did "good"--he did "bad"! Stepping back and removing your hood so you could be identified was good. I'd NEVER have opened the door without knowing who you were first if I wasn't armed! I have a steel security storm door (looks like decorative wrought iron) so I can open the inner door and talk through the storm door. It doesn't get opened unless I know you and what your business is. And I carry at home, so I'm always armed. If I have to get up in the middle of the night to answer the door, you can bet I'm armed!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    me/we have always had an open door policy to people that drink. I much rather have someone crash on my couch then crash into it. we have over the years had many a friend sleep on the couch to save then the risk of killing someone or getting a dwi’s. I guess every ones different and some don’t see things different but I for one have never put a friend out.

As far as what you did, I would have thrown you a blanket and let you crash on the couch and when it was a better time gave you a ride home but like I said that’s me
    I am actually the same way you are now. I lost a very dear friend a while back to drunk driving, and since that night I have had ZERO tolerance for drinking and driving. I know some people will bash for this, "I can drive fine after two beers yada yada", but it is my personal opinion that I am well entitled to. I have taken keys from friends, blocked them in with my truck, and even had my truck hit by a pissed off best friend because I would not let him leave. And the next morning when he woke up he was still mad, but HE WOKE up. Sorry to get so off topic, just something I am passionate about after losing a friend.

C
    tcox4freedom likes this.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

As to your question. You would have been standing there at the door until the police arrived and took you to someplace warm. I'm not opening my door to anyone, especially at 5:30 AM.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome!

Had it been me answering the door, I would've definitely answered armed, but I also have a peep-hole and 20-20, so I probably would've recognized you right away. I would've let you in, yelled at you, then laughed it off and let you sleep on the couch.

But we would be leaving on my terms. I can't stand when I let someone crash at my place and they insist on waking up earlier than I do and annoying the living hell out of me trying to get me to wake up.

I too feel the same way about drinking. I've pretty much been in your exact situation before, walked home wasted, got mugged then lost, finally found my way to a friend's at 6 AM. And I, too, have lost someone to drunk driving. I drink much, much less than I used to, and nowaways on the few occasions I do decide to drink it's always at home. I don't like to leave without being armed, and hell, drinking is a lot cheaper at home than at the bar ;)
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

Welcome.

I live on a US highway in a rural area adjacent to a medium sized city with a trailer park full of meth heads 2 miles away. A knock at the door at 0530 at my door would be met by me coming out the back door in the dark and circling you from behind with my 870 and a big dog that does not bark much, just to make sure you were alone. After you cleaned out your pants we would see who you were.

I also find it interesting that your intro post is baiting for a response.
    jem102 likes this.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Welcome.

I live on a US highway in a rural area adjacent to a medium sized city with a trailer park full of meth heads 2 miles away. A knock at the door at 0530 at my door would be met by me coming out the back door in the dark and circling you from behind with my 870 and a big dog that does not bark much, just to make sure you were alone. After you cleaned out your pants we would see who you were.

I also find it interesting that your intro post is baiting for a response.
    I'm not sure what you mean by baiting for a response? Because I come to the scenario section of the forum, post a scenario that happened to me and ask how other would have handled it, I'm baiting for a response? Surely you're not accusing me of trolling the site and then trying to get a less than perfect answer to turn and use in a negative context? Maybe you should step down from your "holier-than-thou" stool and think about what you type before you do. And you may wanna be careful running out your back door with a loaded firearm and a dog. I'm pretty sure that falls under the "escalating a situation" way before you need to. I understand an early morning knock doesn't mean GG very often, but the one time it does and you come running around brandishing a weapon with no imminent danger to your life, you could be in serious trouble. Either way, good luck with your endeavors whatever they may be.

C

Quote Originally Posted by cdalle6 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by baiting for a response? Because I come to the scenario section of the forum, post a scenario that happened to me and ask how other would have handled it, I'm baiting for a response? Surely you're not accusing me of trolling the site and then trying to get a less than perfect answer to turn and use in a negative context? Maybe you should step down from your "holier-than-thou" stool and think about what you type before you do. And you may wanna be careful running out your back door with a loaded firearm and a dog. I'm pretty sure that falls under the "escalating a situation" way before you need to. I understand an early morning knock doesn't mean GG very often, but the one time it does and you come running around brandishing a weapon with no imminent danger to your life, you could be in serious trouble. Either way, good luck with your endeavors whatever they may be.

C
    OK, I will, and fully believe that was your intent simply by the tenor of your response. He started his post with "Welcome"...

"Bare hand" carry of a long gun on your own property is not considered "brandishing" in the states "I" am familiar with. He would be fine having the 870 in "loaders safe" at low ready.
    There is no responsibility to an encountered uninvited/unsolicited presence under the conditions you describe.

Either way...
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    OK, I will, and fully believe that was your intent simply by the tenor of your response. He started his post with "Welcome"...

"Bare hand" carry of a long gun on your own property is not considered "brandishing" in the states "I" am familiar with. He would be fine having the 870 in "loaders safe" at low ready.
    There is no responsibility to an encountered uninvited/unsolicited presence under the conditions you describe.

Either way...
    Think what you want and feel how you want, you are completely entitled to it. But just because I ask a question that doesn't have a perfect answer, does not mean any of the above. I have seen numerous threads here that showed a situation that seemed to be one way, had many answers, and then revealed something completely unexpected and makes all of the answers seem unwarranted and plain wrong. I was just proposing a scenario for my first post instead of it just saying "Hi, i'm new, please say hi back to me."

C

Quote Originally Posted by cdalle6 View Post

C
    You sure got defensive in a hurry. I don't consider it escalating the situation, I consider it stacking the deck in my favor. I did not survive 32 years as a cop on the street by looking at every situation through rose colored glasses. People that tend to abuse controlled substances have been known to be dangerous. I have been drunk too, but I never showed up drunk and uninvited either. It is what you call drinking responsibly. Its not called brandishing on private property.

Troll? Did I say that? If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    You sure got defensive in a hurry. I don't consider it escalating the situation, I consider it stacking the deck in my favor. I did not survive 32 years as a cop on the street by looking at every situation through rose colored glasses. People that tend to abuse controlled substances have been known to be dangerous. I have been drunk too, but I never showed up drunk and uninvited either. It is what you call drinking responsibly. Its not called brandishing on private property.

Troll? Did I say that? If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.
    The only reason I got defensive was because I don't enjoy being accused of anything. I do understand that someone abusing a substance is dangerous, but I pose two replies to that. By someone ringing your doorbell, how would you know they were drunk, and how would you know they were abusing the substance rather than just had a little too much of a good time? I misunderstood about you saying you were keeping your gun at low, and read it as you coming around behind with it pointed in their COM and then announcing yourself. As for never showing up drunk and uninvited, I never said I was in the right, and this was in my stupider years. Trust me when I say, I am not trolling and was just presenting a situation to get some replies.

C

Ok CD,

We got off on the wrong foot. I apologize for being assuming.

I also prefaced my response by explaining my situation. Knocks on the door at 0530 where I live is not usually someone out of gas down the road.

All is well. I appreciate your level headedness throughout the entire conversation. Stay safe and God bless.

C

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    A knock on my front door at 5:30am from you would have gotten you (from a closed and locked door) a question like "who are you and what do you want?" If I didn't recognize you. Once I did recognize you, I would have GLADLY given you a ride home.
    Once I realize that you had been partying and that you were not driving.... But needing a ride....... That is the least I could do to show my support for your responsible decision not to drive. I say Well Done.
    cdalle6 likes this.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links