New member with an intro and a question

This is a discussion on New member with an intro and a question within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off just wanted to say hi from KY. New user here, been reading for a couple days and really like the site and all ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New member with an intro and a question

New member with an intro and a question

First off just wanted to say hi from KY. New user here, been reading for a couple days and really like the site and all the advice so far. Just got my first handgun a few months back(ruger sr40c) and have my CCDW permit class coming up in a month. Im sure i'll have tons and tons of questions in the future, but for now I have a question/situation that I wanted to share and get input back from.

A few years ago in my younger(and stupider) years, I got left out at a field party I was attending/. Being completely too intoxicated to drive, I decided to just walk home, which was a stupid decision in its own. This is during the winter so I am in jeans, brown hoodie, carhartt jacket. I am sure that I did not look like the good guy buy any means. In my intoxicated state, I ended up in a neighborhood other than my own, with it being around 0530 at this point. I realized that I was near the house of one of my friends, and like an idiot just decided to walk up on the porch and ring the doorbell. My hopes were that my friend or her mom would recognize me and I could just ask for a ride home. If this had happened at your house, explain to me what your reaction would be. I can tell you this much as far as variable. I guarantee you wouldnt have recognized me on your front porch,(even with me having been to your house my whole life), dark out in the winter, and no light on outside. After I get a few replies I will reveal the end of the story.

Thanks a bunch and I look forward to contributing on the forum.

C

2. Remove Ads

First of all, Welcome to DC from South Carolina...

Second, I hope you learned a lesson that night...Don't go stupid places with stupid people doing stupid things.

Third...if you showed up on my doorstep at 0530, ringing my doorbell, I would have answered your ringing by talking "through" the door, letting you know to step back from the door, identify yourself to MY satisfaction, otherwise the police were being summoned to assist you in your needs of the morning. You are not a threat to me or mine until you gain entry to my abode uninvited. At that point I shall do what is necessary to defend myself, my family, and my home from an uninvited home invader.
    Eaglebeak and tcox4freedom like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Welcome from KY! I took my CCDW course earlier this month, and am in the wonderful waiting period myself.

Welcome form texas, welcome to the forum, second on the 3 s rules.

I would turn on a light and get someone else to run Defense for me while i tried to find out who you were. If i had a peep hole that would be utilized, but until then, I am staying away from windows.

Identify yourself, and usually answer a question that you must think for and you have moved on to the not getting shot phase where I open the door and step back far enough to not be hit by the door. Living in alpine there are not that many people who know where I live, and those who know me are not phased by a gun or knife being brandished at my house. We are not gun people to the neighbors unless we know them, and then we are still playing close to the chest.

In the event that I know you and the door has been thus opened and you have not flinched at the weapon, you may get any assistance you desire.

Call me paranoid, but I grew up in dallas, and when i get woken up for no reason SA is through the roof.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome from the Tampa Bay area Sunshine_Skyway_Bridge_3.jpg
    NRA Life member
    USCCA member
    A muscle not exercised will eventually atrophy.
    A right not exercised will eventually be taken away!

Welcome to the forum.

If my doorbell rings at pretty much any hour of the day, I simply flip the tv to view the camera which shows the front door. Yes, I have a habit of sleeping with the tv on a boring channel like discovery id or something. So if I don't recognize you I will simply let you be. If you're not smart enough to remove your hood when you go to someones door expect to be ignored. If it was someone I recognized I would then let you in and you would be told to sleep on the couch. When I got around to it in the morning you would then get a ride home.

If you kept ringing the doorbell or knocking ect. and made me get out of bed, by the time I figured out who you were or you made clear who you were, I would probably be pissed enough to make you sleep on the porch until I decided to take you home in the morning.
    Sfire and MadMac like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The doorbell ringing at 5:30 would have 5 dogs barking their heads off at my house. But you would be viewed by an armed and alert person from a window off to the side and over your head, and if you weren't recognized you simply wouldn't be let in. Any overt signs of aggression and a 911 call would be made, but God help you if you tried to force the door or kick it in.

But on a less ominous note, welcome to the forum... drink heavily from the fountain of knowledge and experience offered here, and ask lots of questions.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Welcome from Portland TN
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!

Please don't ring MY door bell at 05:30! I am not always polite that time of day.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Well since we've had a few replies I'll tell you all what he did and see what you think about it. Here is how the sequence of events played out:

1. I rang the doorbell.
    2. I took a step back off the porch and onto the bottom step and removed my hood.
    3. The door swung open with my friends dad standing there in shorts, no shirt, no light, no weapon, etc.
    4. With the door open, he then asked, "Who is that?"
    5. After I had identified myself and explained the situation, he obliged to take him home.

I think by what i've read thus far, even though it was a bad situation, I did a good thing by taking a step back off the porch, hands down in a non aggressive manner, and removed my hood to allow him the best chance I could of recognizing me based on sight. I think he did a bad thing by opening the door, not being armed, and then hoping to identify me. What if it hadn't been me?

Anyways, thanks for all the welcomes and the replies so far. This looks like a great place to learn a lot and I look forward to it.

C

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Welcome from Colorado

Welcome!!

I'd probably just called 911 on you, then turn my TV on and wait for police to arrive. Yes, my Mossy 590 would have been at arms' reach, just in case you decide to become stupider. :)
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Seems there's a standard reaction in the responses above. My response would have been similar. Welcome to the forum from the Rockies!

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Well, it's safe to assume that you didn't get shot.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links