Burglar alarm goes off... phone line dead

This is a discussion on Burglar alarm goes off... phone line dead within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so this scenario happened to me this past year. Awakened at 2:12 AM from a VERY sound sleep to the burglar alarm going off. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Burglar alarm goes off... phone line dead

Burglar alarm goes off... phone line dead

Ok, so this scenario happened to me this past year.

Awakened at 2:12 AM from a VERY sound sleep to the burglar alarm going off. I jumped out of bed and grabbed my XD .40 subcompact, chamber a round, and grab an extra mag. My wife picks up the phone to call the police, and the line is dead (I verify this). All of this takes 20 seconds max. I hear no sounds in the house, and decide to engage any possible BGs instead of waiting for them to come into the room where my wife is (I don't want her hit in any exchange of gunfire). I open the door from a crouching position, and wait a couple of seconds to exit. Once I exit the bedroom, I quickly clear the rooms in my house, checking for signs of forced entry as I go.... nothing. Turns out to be a series of malfunctions in the alarm system (bad sensor, and the auto-dial function to the police also malfunctioned, causing the phone line to appear to be dead).

My questions are:

1. Would you have stayed in the bedroom until the police arrived? (no way to exit the house from there unless you jump out a window [1st floor]

2. If you exited the bedroom, how would you have done it?

3. Would you have used a tactical light, or do you think that would make you an easier target?

2. Remove Ads

I'd never leave the room. Why look for the BG compared to just waiting for them to come to you? Just tell your wife to have a low silhouette or lay down.

I always have my cell phone near me since I use it as an alarm and read news before I go to sleep.
    MattInFla, swiftyjuan and PatAz like this.

Hunker down in the room, have a cell phone and flash light handy
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Depends on your house, layout, size, difficulty of clearing rooms. We have one big room, and kitchen. It's obvious if anyone is in the house from the bedroom. I'd call 911 from the cell if any doubt. I'd initially resist calling a bunch of armed nitwits (potentially) to my house for no good reason, though.

Don;t leave your wife unprotected. Not knowing the layout of your house the danger is if you engage BG or BG's shots can go through walls and hit her.
    Keep a cell phonewith you and get a dog.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

mkh
    There is a reason why SWAT teams use a 4 or 5 man squad to clear a house. It s not something you should be doing alone. Don't leave the bed room and call 911 on your cell phone. Just hunker down and cover the closed bed room door while waiting for the LEOs to arrive.

Its all good advice. Our master bathroom adjoins our bedroom so I would also have my wife lay down in our cast iron bathtub with her 38 snubbie.

I know my house blindfolded.
    I would not stay in the bedroom...the door is opened and the dog is let out, or the door might have already been open for the night.
    I follow with a Glock-21 with a SureFire 300x attached, but off.
    The wife may or may not be on the phone calling 911, depends upon the noise in or around the house.

We'll see what happens
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; February 20th, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
    semperfi.45 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

sgb
    Your cell phone should always be in the bedroom as backup to your hard line. If you truly have an intruder you'll hear them moving about the residence. If you do audibly detect intruders you're better off taking cover in your bedroom and concentrating on the fatal funnel (your bedroom door) and waiting for them to enter to engage, this gives you a serious tactical advantage. As to checking your interior perimeter you need set up interior night lights that give you the advantage of seeing the largest amount of common area while allowing you to remain in the shadows yourself. And yes you need a light, preferably a weapons mounted light and the training to deploy and use it properly.

And as a side note ......... it's been my experience that people lacking confidence in their firearms handling abilities keep an empty chamber. Training, get some
    SpencerB and oakchas like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

A fold-up fire escape ladder is about $40-70 and a little bigger than a shoebox. Have a housekey on a chemlite to throw out the window so the cavalry doesn't have to bust down your door. Some alarm systems will kill the phone line - I think it's a dumb idea.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_taba85 View Post
    I'd never leave the room. Why look for the BG compared to just waiting for them to come to you? Just tell your wife to have a low silhouette or lay down.

I always have my cell phone near me since I use it as an alarm and read news before I go to sleep.
    Yup.

It's a two-step process.

Step one is let him come to you.
    Step two - make him wish he hadn't.
    oakchas, First Sgt and Southerner like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I would agree with you that I definitely could use more training; everybody can, but the empty chamber is a compromise with my wife... guns make her nervous (no amount of discussion or demonstration has changed her views on this... she was raised by an anti-gun mother). I always have one in the chamber when I carry, but not when I am home.

My alarm system is so old that I will have to replace it to fix what I consider to be a major problem and one I suggest that all avoid.

The remote for my system does not display the source of the alarm. The main panel does, but like most purchasers I mounted it at the main entrance/exit area which means that it is not visible from the bedroom.

A remote that will display the source of the alarm will be of a lot of help because most false alarms are generated by the same source.

For instance, one may have one motion detector that has a bad habit.

That said, I would not dial 911 the instant the alarm goes off. Nor would I ask for the cops when the monitoring service calls to ask if I am OK.

I would kill the alarm and then sit quietly for a time to see what happens.

If you panic and call for the cops, you may not be happy to find that when answering a suspected burglary your local PD requires that every single occupant of the house be treated as a suspected intruder until their identity is clearly established.

So you and your wife may be lying on the floor in either minimal night clothes or naked, if you sleep that way, for some several minutes.

I know a guy who got that treatment. He lives in a suburb of MSP.

Of course if you have children or others living in your house the problem is much more complicated.

And as pointed out above, either the cops will break down your door or you will have to go to the door to let them in in which case you may well become a hostage if it is for real.

So sit quietly and wait to see what is really going on. If there is really a bad guy in the house you will not mind the cops breaking down the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I would agree with you that I definitely could use more training; everybody can, but the empty chamber is a compromise with my wife... guns make her nervous (no amount of discussion or demonstration has changed her views on this... she was raised by an anti-gun mother). I always have one in the chamber when I carry, but not when I am home.
    I see this sort of post from others.

First, how would she know whether there is one in the chamber if she knows so little about guns?

Arm the weapon the way you see fit and ignore her.

Or get a revolver.

and then there is the other way. Explain to her that so long as you are the one who is expected to be the protector of the house and of her, you will do it your way. Period.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Your cell phone should always be in the bedroom as backup to your hard line. If you truly have an intruder you'll hear them moving about the residence. If you do audibly detect intruders you're better off taking cover in your bedroom and concentrating on the fatal funnel (your bedroom door) and waiting for them to enter to engage, this gives you a serious tactical advantage. As to checking your interior perimeter you need set up interior night lights that give you the advantage of seeing the largest amount of common area while allowing you to remain in the shadows yourself. And yes you need a light, preferably a weapons mounted light and the training to deploy and use it properly.

And as a side note ......... it's been my experience that people lacking confidence in their firearms handling abilities keep an empty chamber. Training, get some
    ^^^^YEP^^^

I'm in this camp on this one.

The only reason I am leaving my room is that the kids sleep on the other end of the house.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links