They Came Knockin'

They Came Knockin'

This is a discussion on They Came Knockin' within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; and left runnin........... Over the last year I have noticed considerably more "Broken Down" Cars in the neighborhood with people who obviously do not belong ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: They Came Knockin'

They Came Knockin'

and left runnin...........

Over the last year I have noticed considerably more "Broken Down" Cars in the neighborhood with people who obviously do not belong in the neighborhood and they have always been met with a swift police response (We don't talk much but the neighbor's know who drives what, and the old folks love calling the cops.).....

Well Yesterday as My fiancee was out working and I was home and "Occupied" the door bell rings and my dogs go nuts. I finish what I am doing, and go look out the window (bedroom window, I can see the outside, it's hard to see inside thanks to awnings), and I see a van with no one inside it that looks like my Dads MiniVan. So I Check the peep hole and there is no one there, I open the door a little bit and thats when I see two people entering the van who are clearly not related to me. I Close the door quickly unfortunately they see the door moving.

They come back out of the van and start ringing the doorbell and pounding on the door again. The woman starts shouting "Excuse me sir, can you help us, we just came from church and we are out of gas......"

My Dogs are freaking out so I finally end up shouting back as I am not about to open the door to them, "I have two angry Pit Bulls, and I have already called the Police who like to be notified when there are broken down vehicles in the area" All while standing off to the side of the door with the XD in hand just in case.

Funny, their must have been a miracle, because within seconds they were back in the van and driving away...........

I don't blame ya, in fact I say it's better to be safe than sorry.... This is not the first story I've heard of where the female does the talking in hopes that the person behind the door won't be too suspicious, only to be surprised by the dude laying in wait once the door is opened.... IMO, if they needed gas, they should have asked someone from their "church" for a helping hand and leave the anonymous door to door crap alone. Again, Good job... I'll only add that I would probably get the plate and pass the info to the sheriffs dept in case someone close by ends up taken by the pair; at least then they would have a lead to follow...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

So, I don't suppose you got a license plate number and called it in? Now they'll just hit someone else who isn't as aware.
    Last edited by rstickle; February 20th, 2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Removed mild insult

Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    So, I don't suppose you got a license plate number and called it in? Now they'll just hit someone else who isn't as aware.
    Agreed, as well with.. his first priority is protect his castle and self.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    And in Royal Oak too.

Just about the entire suburban Detroit area is becoming a war zone. It's my understanding that one municipality, I think it might be Jackson, has disbanded it's police force because they can't get good cops that are willing work without hazardous duty pay.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I have come to dislike anybody who asks me for money. It gets old.

Hey choose your words carefully there buddy. Not all of us can think of every detail in every situation and for someone to say they can is a lie.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Did you call the police and report them?
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Did you call the police and report them?
    Did they do anything illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Did they do anything illegal?
    If they're trying to con their way into residences, then they need to be reported. You never know you could save a life. What's the downside? If the cops have a plate number, time and MO and description, they could apprehend them if they do manage to home invade. I don't think they're trying to sell cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Hey choose your words carefully there buddy. Not all of us can think of every detail in every situation and for someone to say they can is a lie.
    This is very true... More often than not, the perfect response, or action comes to us after the fact... Good point.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

:) Thanks for assuming I'm an idiot. I couldn't see the plate from the angle the were parked on the street compared to my windows, I did get pictures of the man and the woman (the woman did the talking, but the man was on the porch while she was on the steps up to the porch) which was forwarded to the police, along with a very clear discription of the van and a photo.....

Seeing as they are the police though, and the couple had already left, unless the get another call or the people do find a victim nothing will happen.

Oh and No i didn't take photos, I have web cam's setup in my windows (I can't put in the dvr system I want as it's a rental (hopefully buying a house in troy soon)) that record images on one of my desktops.
    Tutapper likes this.

If they're trying to con their way into residences, then they need to be reported. You never know you could save a life. What's the downside? If the cops have a plate number, time and MO and description, they could apprehend them if they do manage to home invade. I don't think they're trying to sell cookies.
    What if they're not trying to con their way into residences? What if they're just out of gas?

I really don't care if you want to call the cops. If one feels the need to call the police, so be it. I don't feel the need to call the police for every bump in the night, however. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    And in Royal Oak too.

Just about the entire suburban Detroit area is becoming a war zone. It's my understanding that one municipality, I think it might be Jackson, has disbanded it's police force because they can't get good cops that are willing work without hazardous duty pay.
    This is very much the truth...... Unless your two hours away from the major cities in Southeastern Michigan ou need to expect crime to happen the way the economy is. But My anti-gun fiancee comes around more and more every time stuff like this happens. She even was kinda irked I didn't buy any guns when I went to the gun show saturday....

We had a similar problem in our neighborhood recently. Local PD told us the contact was a ruse to scope out houses for a burglary.

The activity culminated in a "push-in" by a single white 20-something on a 70-something couple four doors up from us. Guy was armed with a knife. Husband occupied the guy while wife got out the back door to the neighbors next door and called the police. Nobody hurt, nothing taken, guy got away.

It has been the neighborhood policy for years to call the police when we see someone who "doesn't fit" the neighborhood. None of us care if that policy is politically correct or not. We let the cops sort it out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links