iPod and SA

This is a discussion on iPod and SA within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, here is an interesting conundrum. I like to listen to my iPod when I exercise (walk/jog), or when I work in my yard/garden. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: iPod and SA

iPod and SA

So, here is an interesting conundrum.

I like to listen to my iPod when I exercise (walk/jog), or when I work in my yard/garden. I have found that my SA is definitely not as good when I am listening to my iPod, but, work and exercise can be boring otherwise.

So, should I be completely aware and bored, or somewhat less aware, but happy?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    What in the world do you want someone to say? Permission to do what you think you should do? Make up your mind and just do it. You have already answered the question. This goes for riding a bike, driving a car (on your cell), hell--even walking across a street. SA and mindless blather thru earpieces do not mix---period/end of story. I apologize if my tone is strident, but c'mon now.
    jerp, atctimmy and PatAz like this.

EBC
    I use my phone at work to listen to book on tape What I do is only plug one ear phone in. I found that this gives me the to keep my mind from being bored but also let me hear what is going on around me.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    So, here is an interesting conundrum.

I like to listen to my iPod when I exercise (walk/jog), or when I work in my yard/garden. I have found that my SA is definitely not as good when I am listening to my iPod, but, work and exercise can be boring otherwise.

So, should I be completely aware and bored, or somewhat less aware, but happy?

Depends on how you'll feel when something bad happens to you while your happy!
    atctimmy likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Go to a place to exercise that is basically safe such as a wide-open track around a football field, or to an indoor gym and use the machines, treadmill, elliptical. Have a non-iPOD wearing buddy walk/job with you. Take turns being watchful. Dogs, cars, angry grandmothers - Robert Conrad.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    What in the world do you want someone to say? Permission to do what you think you should do? Make up your mind and just do it. You have already answered the question. This goes for riding a bike, driving a car (on your cell), hell--even walking across a street. SA and mindless blather thru earpieces do not mix---period/end of story. I apologize if my tone is strident, but c'mon now.
    I was looking for input, as I am thinking through the issue. That is also why people read up on tactics.

Obviously I am going to make my own decision, but I wanted to listen to the collective wisdom of more experienced people than myself.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post

JL
    I stopped with the ear plugs while in public places, like shopping, etc. While working around the property if I am listening to something, I just go with one ear plug. Again, you need to weigh risk factors into your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    lol! true.

VIP Member
    Okay, I'll play.

While doing yard work, if I'm doing something quiet, I'll have an iPod on low volume (so that I can still hear someone hollar for me). My gym is in my basement, otherwise I might wear an iPod in a public gym...

Other than that, no - never. It's not a matter of paranoia, it's a matter of being aware and in touch with your environment.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It amazes me that so many people become so totally absorbed into their I-phones, I-pods, etc. and have no clue as to what's going on around them. With most there is no SA. Do you fit into that catagory? It a risk one chooses to make.
    tactilame likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It amazes me that so many people become so totally absorbed into their I-phones, I-pods, etc. and have no clue as to what's going on around them. With most there is no SA. Do you fit into that catagory? It a risk one chooses to make.
    I wouldn't say that I fall into that category. I usually have only one headphone in, and I keep the volume at a reasonable level... I just thought about this after reading a story on here about a jogger being approached by two BGs.

You can always take a picture of you after something happens. The only thing in my ears is a bluetooth so I can answer my phone and keep my hands free. If you listen to music all the time when do you have time to think?
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

VIP Member
    When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.
    It's seems that you may be on the cusp of understanding something here.....as one man to another, it's time to put the I-pod away.
    claude clay likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    You can always take a picture of you after something happens. The only thing in my ears is a bluetooth so I can answer my phone and keep my hands free. If you listen to music all the time when do you have time to think?
    I am usually listening to books... trying to catch up on all that reading I was supposed to have done in school.

I only have the iPod in when working outside or exercising, and to be honest, neither happens very often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links