Confronted at a gas station

This is a discussion on Confronted at a gas station within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy....this happened to me 2 winters ago. It worked out ok, so I don't think I would have done anything different: I work in an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Confronted at a gas station

Confronted at a gas station

Howdy....this happened to me 2 winters ago. It worked out ok, so I don't think I would have done anything different:

I work in an area that "good area" and "bad area" are divided by one road. It's comical because the "good" area is very very nice, and the "bad" side of the road is as bad as it gets.

I was pumping gas on this dividing road when a 75'ish Lincoln Continental pulled in. It caught my eye in that it was in immacuate condition. Very nice car, a classic. A very large woman emerged, and walked up to me( a distance of about 5 feet, she was just on the other side of the pump to begin with). She asked for a few dollars for gas to "get home to my babies".

I am sometimes a soft mark, and I pulled some cash out of my pocket...I remember clearly that I had $43 in a money clip. I gave her the 3 singles, and said "that should get you home"

The MOMENT I pulled the cash out of my pocket, a black Range Rover roared up and stopped about 10 feet away. The SUV was not in any normal parking spot. They weren't there for fuel, and they didn't immediatley get out of the vehicle. 2 males, about 20, were speaking quickly to each other while glancing from each other to me. The lady gave me an odd look, and got in her car, but didn't drive away. This was broad daylight, noon'ish on a weekday.

The 2 guys in the range Rover continued thier animated conversation, and i turned and faced them, staring directly at them. Thier conversation continued. I unzipped my coat, and stared. I did NOT in any way brandish a weapon (there was a Commander behind my right hip, and a 642 in my coat pocket. Unzipping the coat caused more conversation, and then they put the vehicle in gear and roared away. The lady in the Lincoln stayed in her car. I hung up the gas nozzle, and left.

Critique away.....

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Sounds fairly uneventful. What were your intentions if the exited their vehicle and approached you?

That is the great thing about a 642 in the coat pocket. You can have it aimed at the dudes belt buckle and never "brandish" the weapon.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Did the lady end up getting gas with the cash you gave her?

That kind of car, she should sell it and get one she can afford to put gas in, or not drive.

Did you get either's license plates? Just a measure of your clarity.

I believe you "licked out" on that one.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Confronted?
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Don't know, if it were a set up I would be surprised they took that long trying to decide what to do.

Two blocks up, there's a gas station on the "right" side of the street. Next time use that one...

Mighta been a set up... might not... I'm not into givin' money to some madam who needs a couple of bucks to get home to the kids if shes drivin' a superfly mobile.

What, all the folks on the bad side of the tracks are drivin' pricey cars..? range rovers ain't cheap. Neither are 70's Lincs. especially in the cost of use department...
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I am going to go with helping other people if you can share a little. Keep a few bucks in your pocket for just that and your real money and credit cards in a safer place. Stay vigilant with your SA and always armed, don't know if it is true but they say the BGs pick a different target when you are paying attention to what is going on around you.

VIP Member
    Good SA...threat or not, everybody went home in one piece.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

"Did the lady end up getting gas with the cash you gave her? " I'm not sure, I thnk so.
    "Two blocks up, there's a gas station on the "right" side of the street. Next time use that one..." I agree with that thought, this one was actually on the "good" side
    "Don't know, if it were a set up I would be surprised they took that long trying to decide what to do. " I have thought about that a lot....I think I caught them off guard by staring at them, as in I knew what they were up to.
    "Confronted? " Yes. Her interaction, the timing of thier arrival, thier aggressive :drive up" with the vehicle, and thier animated discussion while watching me all added up to a confrontation.

This is a regular occurrence for me. A couple days ago two women in a brand new cadillac suv asked me for gas money. I just ignore anybody who asks for money.

thugs always seem to "get it" when you open your coat, go in to the "stance" and remain perfectly calm and do nothing but stare them down. "Yep, this guy is packin'....let's try someone else."
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links