Would you draw on a gun? - Page 4

Would you draw on a gun?

This is a discussion on Would you draw on a gun? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Came to this thread for the Barco-lounger Gun Fu experts, the fake wallet trick, and was even treated to the OODA Loop and a couple ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Would you draw on a gun?

Came to this thread for the Barco-lounger Gun Fu experts, the fake wallet trick, and was even treated to the OODA Loop and a couple sheep/wolf references.

Leaving satisfied.

Thanks for being so predictable.

It must be tough to always be the brightest bulb in the pack...

JMO, but if they have the drop on ya, you should try the compliance thingy first... If it looks like it's going south in a hurry, you're probably gonna take a hit anyway, so you'd better fight like your life depends on it, cause it does.
    WHEC724 and rammerjammer like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Came to this thread for the Barco-lounger Gun Fu experts, the fake wallet trick, and was even treated to the OODA Loop and a couple sheep/wolf references.

Leaving satisfied.

I personally, am gratified to know that you've been entertained...However, you are toooooo predictible when it comes to your CONDESCENDING remarks...It would be nice, just one time, IF you offered your own solutions to a presented scenario so that we underlings could reap the benefit of your superior knowledge and sage advice...I sooooo look forward to HOW YOU WOULD REACT to the OP's scenario and questions...Please don't keep me in suspense!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Each of the following is a link to Gun Fu (deception) that worked, to the Fake wallet trick that worked, Drawing against the drop (against more than one armed assailant, I might add) that worked.

Gun FU (deception)

Fake Wallet Trick

Drawing Against the Drop

If you'd like Mac, I can post the ones where compliance didn't work... But I don't think there's enough bandwidth available...

I will agree with you here about one thing... I don't believe criminals have much of an OODA loop... Aside from successful criminals, who usually don't pick armed robbery as a means of making a living...

The average street thug probably has an Uhhh Duhhh loop, though. And it's far easier to disrupt than a good OODA loop.

As to the sheeps and the wolves... most of them are "out to pasture" anyway.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I find it difficult to answer this question because there are so few details, what is the lighting, how far away is the BG, what kind of gun does he have, what are the BG's mannerisms.

There are 2 ways I have been trained to handle and one that I successfully did in real life:

1) Said BG is at arms reach;
    Silly BG are you that stupid, I am going to take his gun breaking his hand/arm in the process and maybe use it on him. (real life, 20+ years ago junkie had the drop on me as I walked around a dark corner checking a building).
    2) Said BG is at a greater distance so I GOTX and shoot him.

Understand that I am 6" and a fairly athletic 270lbs with a martial arts background and a career as a cop. What I will do, many will not and should not try without training and practice. If you carry a gun for protection you owe it to yourself and family to train and practice. I practice to the point of obsession, I carry 2 guns and 2 knives. I have seen the evil of the world and if it comes for me, better bring a lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post

Leaving satisfied.

Hey bud, get your CCW, defend yourself and your family. Get proper training, get good training, train hard. Become good with your weapon system. Skip forward. Wow you have become good at your craft. Fast forward a little farther to the OPs scenario. Dude, fall into a ball and give the BG what he wants, do not fight back you will walk away, at least that is what the stats say.

WHY CARRY A GUN THEN. Mac answer me this. Ive put myself thru hell training. While some is fun, other training is not, it is work, it causes pain. All of which I have been willing to do. However your logic says to let the BG do what he wants and play his game. NO thanks. My life, my terms. This scenario is the very reason we put a weapon on everyday. Either learn how to over come this, or leave the dam thing at home....
    Bill MO and Tzadik like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    To those who are saying there is no way to fight back with a gun already pointed at you, I say, you are correct. There is no way you can or could go against a drawn gun and win, you have already lost any chance you had before you ever get started. If in your mind you say you can't YOU CAN"T!!!

When you get tired of living in fear even though you are armed find a instructor who can and will teach you to win a gunfight and change your mindset. The mindset of I can win comes with the knowledge of just what you are capable of doing in a fight. That comes with training and putting yourself in situations with FOF. If you can win the scenarios in FOF you can also win in a real fight, if you get your mind right along the way.

Get training and experience in FOF fights and you will know when you can and when you can't better.

If you don't like doing FOF with airsofts then go out and get in real gunfights and get the experience that way or die trying.
    Harryball and tcox4freedom like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    This is simply hard to make a decision on without it actually happenning. Yes. If I thought my loved ones or me were about to be killed anyway I would prefer to go out shooting. But, honestly, it is all armchair quarterbacking until it happens to you. The best we can do is to train for various scenarios.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kimberpackn; February 25th, 2012 at 01:54 AM.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    This is simply hard to make a decision on without it actually happenning. Yes. If I thought my loved onws or me were about to be killed anyway I would prefer to go out shooting. But, honestly, it is all armchair quarterbacking until it happens to you. The best we can do is to train for various scenarios.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    No its not. There is a reason why you carry, what is it. To submit, or to fight back.

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

You over train for the plausible scenarios so when an implausible one happens you are still prepared. You should always have in your mind set that you are willing to take the fight to the BG. But if you do not have this mind set prior to an encounter you should not be carrying. Your decision would have to be quick and bold.
    This is not to say there might be scenarios to not engage. But that is a determination at the moment. Not before. And if you do not train on this you will be woefully ill prepared to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    You over train for the plausible scenarios so when an implausible one happens you are still prepared. You should always have in your mind set that you are willing to take the fight to the BG. But if you do not have this mind set prior to an encounter you should not be carrying. Your decision would have to be quick and bold.
    This is not to say there might be scenarios to not engage. But that is a determination at the moment. Not before. And if you do not train on this you will be woefully ill prepared to succeed.
    I knew you had it in you....LMAO....Very good point sun....Either bring it, or leave it and be a victim......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I knew you had it in you....LMAO....Very good point sun....Either bring it, or leave it and be a victim......
    Ha Ha. I can think of many reasons why one might not engage. Hey, it is there life and of their loved ones. But if there is a doubt in their head about their capabilities then they might as well not draw and go with the stats. IMO. I think that some folks assume the BG has minimal capabilities and they base the decision to engage on that. I am not making my decision by a perception the BG is an idiot. That is why I train for so I know MY capabilities.

Ha Ha. I can think of many reasons why one might not engage. Hey, it is there life and of their loved ones. But if there is a doubt in their head about their capabilities then they might as well not draw and go with the stats. IMO. I think that some folks assume the BG has minimal capabilities and they base the decision to engage on that. I am not making my decision by a perception the BG is an idiot. That is why I train for so I know MY capabilities.
    Stats say I will not have an encounter. Why me....Im the odd one out....You should understand. Train, train, train....You will win is the mindset like BillMo says. How true, you and I know this for fact....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Stats say I will not have an encounter. Why me....Im the odd one out....You should understand. Train, train, train....You will win is the mindset like BillMo says. How true, you and I know this for fact....
    I like stats. I have a .025 percent chance of being killed by a firearm. But I still carry. A bit off topic and about profiling. Wife and I made the trek to the big town and went to Wally world. Ya know, about every guy looked pretty rough with a beard or not shaved, dirty work clothes, and of course the infamous hoodies. If your a tourist from MA you would avoid these folks and get a good grip on your childs hand. Living here ya give a nod and a howdy do and a smile. Was just thinking about that. But it goes to mindset. I would be just as leary of a kid wearing a nice polo shirt approaching me because that is not the norm here. But you know how I am, a trusting fool with a 228

I like stats. I have a .025 percent chance of being killed by a firearm. But I still carry. A bit off topic and about profiling. Wife and I made the trek to the big town and went to Wally world. Ya know, about every guy looked pretty rough with a beard or not shaved, dirty work clothes, and of course the infamous hoodies. If your a tourist from MA you would avoid these folks and get a good grip on your childs hand. Living here ya give a nod and a howdy do and a smile. Was just thinking about that. But it goes to mindset. I would be just as leary of a kid wearing a nice polo shirt approaching me because that is not the norm here. But you know how I am, a trusting fool with a 228
    5 times brother, 5 freaking times....My life is weird...Illl have to share it with you, either by phone, or PM....No you do not have a job....

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links