Would you draw on a gun? - Page 5

Would you draw on a gun?

This is a discussion on Would you draw on a gun? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To the OP, yes I would....

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Would you draw on a gun?

To the OP, yes I would.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    the OP asked about Drawing anainst a gun.

so for those of us who have a 642 or equilivant in a vest or coat pocket--
    that was not part of the answer. even though it is what we wouldmost likely be
    making our plans around.

i stand by my answer. and as for Mad being himself, is anyone suprised?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by Bricks View Post
    I was mugged. It was the reason I started carrying. There were three guys, one of them had a gun. In the end i was ok but Ive always wondered how things might have gone if my wife had been with me. I would have put up a real good fight and might have won, I love my wife with all my heart but my odds would have been awfull. I carry so my odds will never be that bad again.

But lets say that happens to me or any of us, tomorrow. Lets say an armed mugger slimes passed our situational awareness and one of us finds ourself starring down the barrel of a bad guys gun...

Have you given thought to drawing on a loaded gun? I'll bet you have. Most people who carry do. So lets say a bad guy gets the drop on you some night while youre getting out of your car or taking a walk. You have your gun, but its concealed and HE already has his gun leveled at your chest. What would you do. Drawing on a gun is forbiden by some schools of thought. All he wants is your money and people survive muggings all the time, I did. But the bad guy is in control and you're at his mercy.
    What would you do?

Ive given this a lot of thought and my mind is made up. Id like to hear what you folks have to say before I share my opinion on this matter. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and please share your thoughts.

Not always true.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

There is a YouTube video of a hotel clerk being robbed. There was a second person behind the desk and they guy used her to hide him drawing. The other part was there was a customer that was at the desk and had a 3-4 year old child sitting on the counter. The outcome was that the BG was the only one hurt. There were so many things that could have gone wrong, but they didn't. The point here is that the BG had the drop, but the GG used a distraction to engage.

While not saying it was the best thing to do, in the heat of the moment, I am sure the GG feared for his life and the others there. If he didn't engage and the BG started shooting, they all would have been in trouble. I guess the moral of the story is you've got seconds to access the risks and your options. The BG, once he determined the odds where not stacked in his favor started to disengage, but the action plan was already in play by the time he made that call.

I guess in the end it depends on the options and calculated outcomes determined in the blink of an eye.

Found the video, likely already seen by many.
    Good guy 1, Bad guy 0, CCW in action unedited - YouTube
    Last edited by JoeFriday; February 25th, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    No its not. There is a reason why you carry, what is it. To submit, or to fight back.
    Harry, my first weapon of choice is my brain. There are variables that would come into play to which I am not able to suggest the way I would react. If my loved ones were present and there was more risk of me escalating things by going all John Wayne then I have to take that into consideration as should anyone. There are many "ifs" involved.

I got my carry permit to protect myself and others indeed. But, I was protecting myself with situational awareness, the study of human behavior, and avoiding likely areas of violence by using my gray matter long before I carried a gun.
    tcox4freedom and MadMac like this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    given the scenario you just went through, its helpful to know that the vast majority of armed robbers out there are looking for the "get in, get out" aspect of hoding people up. they want very little resistance in short. Im in the same boat as you. I got mugged and the snot kicked out of me on my birthday, decided very shortly afterwords it wouldnt happen again. Three versus one are bad odds enough as it is, which is why you may have to get creative use alternate means of neutralizing the threat.

Some Ideas;
    1. carry a fake wallet, throw it over the BG's shoulder and when his back is turned...draw.
    2. grab the smallest of the 3 use him as a shield against the gunman.
    or (and probably the best of 'em all)
    3. Run like hell, put some distance on them. it would be your choice whether you want to stop, pull out and engage from there but it would be best to find safety.

It would be tough for a prosecutor to argue against such a disparity in force if you ended up killing one of them, but it will also be tough on your family as well to hear that you died trying to be a hero. Im not saying curl up in a fetal position and take it like a little Sally, but that chunk of metal on your hip isnt the end-all be-all solution to every encounter. Id focus more on being smart and not acting like a soft target. Works for every one else here.
    AGREE

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    Harry, my first weapon of choice is my brain. There are variables that would come into play to which I am not able to suggest the way I would react. If my loved ones were present and there was more risk of me escalating things by going all John Wayne then I have to take that into consideration as should anyone. There are many "ifs" involved.

I got my carry permit to protect myself and others indeed. But, I was protecting myself with situational awareness, the study of human behavior, and avoiding likely areas of violence by using my gray matter long before I carried a gun.
    Thanks kimber for the best reply of the bunch. Boy is it easy to be sitting in your pjs at your computer being the next Dirty Harry. Too many replies have a lot of "bluster" in them and odds are these will be the first people who will pee in their pants. I am 70 and never, ever, ever had any occasion to have or wish to have a firearm available for a situtation. I use SA to the max and will deprive myself of something if it means the potential of violating my SA common sense--ie: going to a sale in a neighborhood that is prone to "priblems" or parking in a convenient, yet dark lonely area before going to a restaurant at night.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Situational awareness is great and keep us out of lots of trouble BUT the OP did not ask how to use SA. He is asking what and how to handle the situation after we have already found ourselves behind the 8 ball.

SA is great and we all need to work on it but if you can be aware of everything going on around you 24/7 I have to ask. How do you get anything else done in your life? Also if you are SO good with SA, Why do you carry a gun? You will always avoid any bad situation.

I go with the thoughts that "SH** Can Happen" so prepare the best you can and know your limitations, then act accordingly. This is done by practice and training to the point you just know what you can do. It's not I think I could maybe do that, you know because you've done it in training.

Yep it takes money and time to do all that but how bad do you need it and how bad do you want to live if you do?

Just an OLD MAN'S thoughts
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post

Some have seen the elephant, while others have not. I understand your point, but we are talking about a specific scenario. Personally I carry to protect me and mine. I will not be a victim, I will meet the BG with utter violence, that he will not expect, he will become re-active to my actions. I have done it before, and will do it again if needed....
    oneshot likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

How many that have responded have a spouse (or whatever) that carries? My wife carries. If a BG stopped us he has two Sigs to contend with. We have discussed this before and I would be reaching for my EDC like I was reaching for my wallet. This gives her time to draw and she is a quick little thing. This moves the advantage to us. Just curious if there is a plan with your companion. Moving off the X and drawing is good but not good if your family is behind you and he has time to get a shot off. Something as simple as I will move left and you move right could be decisive.

If he has the drop on me from more than two feet away but less than 15-20, it would be a losing proposition. It would depend on how focused he was. If he was super close to me, I'd consider disarming him based on how strong he looks. I have had years of martial arts and some wrestling training, and I bet I could easily take his gun away- especially if he was holding with one hand. Still, I am no macho man looking for a hole in me. If he simply wanted money or my car, he can have it. I am not wasting myself over property....ever. I would draw or attack if I was quite sure he was going to shoot me...just need to buy time with offer of more money maybe. Heck, I'd offer to drive to an ATM or anything to buy time...and an opportunity. The BG is motivated by something. More of it may be a way to buy time and opportunities. I have been in one bad situation, was unarmed, and talked my way out of it. That was a bad day but my calm demeanor and lies got me out of it. My stupidity got me into it, but that is another story. :)

obviously it's highly situtation dependent but I'd probably just give him the wallet unless I truely believed he was going to shoot anyway or something else besides just robbery was likely. There are not too many of these types who are skilled with a handgun ... I've seen more than one security video where these types point & shoot at someone inside of 10 ft & still miss ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bricks View Post
    I was mugged. It was the reason I started carrying. There were three guys, one of them had a gun. In the end i was ok but Ive always wondered how things might have gone if my wife had been with me. I would have put up a real good fight and might have won, I love my wife with all my heart but my odds would have been awfull. I carry so my odds will never be that bad again.

But lets say that happens to me or any of us, tomorrow. Lets say an armed mugger slimes passed our situational awareness and one of us finds ourself starring down the barrel of a bad guys gun...

Have you given thought to drawing on a loaded gun? I'll bet you have. Most people who carry do. So lets say a bad guy gets the drop on you some night while youre getting out of your car or taking a walk. You have your gun, but its concealed and HE already has his gun leveled at your chest. What would you do. Drawing on a gun is forbiden by some schools of thought. All he wants is your money and people survive muggings all the time, I did. But the bad guy is in control and you're at his mercy.
    What would you do?

Ive given this a lot of thought and my mind is made up. Id like to hear what you folks have to say before I share my opinion on this matter. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and please share your thoughts.
    I have been in that situation before. It all depends on the body language of the perp with the gun, the mindset of me at the time, crowded area where innocent people get hurt or could get hurt. What my sKILL level was at the time and how much I have prepared in advance for just such an attack. If enough of the variables are in my favor, the perp will be stopped. His associates who try to intervene will be stopped too. Two quick shots with my .40 to the ocular cavity and I go home to the wife and children.

"would you draw on a gun?"

Only with a pencil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links