Would you draw on a gun?

This is a discussion on Would you draw on a gun? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have you given thought to drawing on a loaded gun? I'll bet you have. Yes, I have given much thought to it, sure. Every situation's ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Would you draw on a gun?

Have you given thought to drawing on a loaded gun? I'll bet you have.
    Yes, I have given much thought to it, sure. Every situation's different. It's entirely possible there might be an opportunity involving proximity, or lack of attention, or blocking his/their sight of my drawing. It could be uglier or simpler when there are multiple attackers, depending on how they attempt to control the situation, distance from me, etc. Generally speaking, I'd say it would be a "losing proposition," as some have suggested. A mugging or robbery is a bad spot to be in, but I'll do whatever I must in order to survive it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Have you given thought to drawing on a loaded gun?
    I do not see that as the question we need to be answering here, but rather have I given thought and training to the drawing on a loaded gun? Because if we ever face such a situation there will not be a YOU there only us.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    Drawing on someone who has a weapon pointed at you is a losing proposition. It's not like TV where the good guy always wins; you are simply not fast enough to get off a round before he can.

That said I will not trust my survival to the good will of a miscreant. One option (and there others) is to create a diversion then stop the attack by employing your weapon. For example, start crying as though in fear, cower down and throw your wallet to the ground on his strong side. Then while he's reaching down with his weak hand step to his weak side, draw and fire.

There are no gurantees of survival and sometimes bad things happen to good people but at least you have taken a step to improve your odds.
    That's exactly what I would do. Since I'm ambi, I carry my wallet on the right and my weapon on the left. It allows me to throw and draw at the same time. I practice it all the time.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pir8fan View Post
    That's exactly what I would do. Since I'm ambi, I carry my wallet on the right and my weapon on the left. It allows me to throw and draw at the same time. I practice it all the time.
    Have you gone up against anything other than a sheet of paper? We seem to always win against paper targets. Have you put this theory to a test against another person using airsoft pistols? Doing FOF is painful but rewarding in knowing if your practice and training is what we thought it to be.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

If its my wallet that they want, its my wallet they will get. And they will be very disappointed as to the contents.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

i would not draw if the BG's gun is already at me.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    If its my wallet that they want, its my wallet they will get. And they will be very disappointed as to the contents.
    yup. same here. you may get a few tanks of gas or whatever, but a quick call to discover card and amex and its done.

I have been thinking about this.

If I am by myself I would because what else do I have to lose, he could decide to take my life anyways and if I get the drop on him with him not thinking about it might save my life.

If I am with my girlfriend I sure as heck am due to the fact that if I can at least get the gun to the position I want she can run or go at him with her knife.

most of all my friends are older then me (I am 26 and I think the youngest friend I hang out with in in their 40+) and the 2 or three guys who are my age are old school friends who can help in a fight so they wont run. My concern would be to make sure everyone else made it.

Going to go read the comments now.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I cannot believe the number of people here who would go with the old 'throw the wallet' trick.

And I do mean old. It's been around since at least the 70s. You think every thug, mugger, and gangbanger doesnt know it? Or care? It only takes a second to shoot you and then grab the wallet...and anything else they want off your body once you've pissed them off treating them like they're stupid. They may be, but they dont like being reminded of it and just IMO, I think most will be happy to shoot you or so hyped up/nervous they do anyway.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I cannot believe the number of people here who would go with the old 'throw the wallet' trick.
    ...or the number of people here who claim to practice it.

:music:
    Everybody was gunfu fighting,
    They was fast as lightning...
    Last edited by MadMac; June 20th, 2012 at 09:24 AM.
    Spade115 likes this.

Speaking of "fast as lightning," check this guy out:

"It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Depends...which I would probably be wishing I had on as I'm sure I would have done it right after saying it.

I would be looking for an opportunity to shift the odds just a tad my way so I could draw...it just depends.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    Some Ideas;
    1. carry a fake wallet, throw it over the BG's shoulder and when his back is turned...draw.
    Sorry I found this pretty hilarious. If someone had a gun you would rather risk death than give up your real wallet which is all replaceable?

Also, don't throw it over his shoulder, drop it on the ground behind him.

-------------------------------------------------

9mmare= "I cannot believe the number of people here who would go with the old 'throw the wallet' trick."

That's because most of the time it works and is the best option you have in some mugging situations. If you're stupid enough to mug someone you're stupid enough to fall for it. I would LOVE to hear a better response from you. Keep in mind if you just give them what they want, you will likely be killed anyway.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post

9mmare= "I cannot believe the number of people here who would go with the old 'throw the wallet' trick."

That's because most of the time it works and is the best option you have in some mugging situations. If you're stupid enough to mug someone you're stupid enough to fall for it. I would LOVE to hear a better response from you. Keep in mind if you just give them what they want, you will likely be killed anyway.
    Got any sources for this?

(And why is being a mugger 'stupid?'...hey, most of the time it works. Dishonest does not = stupid.)

I was a park ranger in Central Park in my younger days (unarmed)....and also spent lots of time in NYC in general and with NYC cops all the time...esp. on post during events. Sorry...but it was a (deadly) joke then.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

i'm trained, armed and ready to defend myself and my family, If you pull a gun on me or my family you must be willing to take my life or lose yours. Want to gamble? My money's on me.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links