Would you draw on a gun? - Page 8

Would you draw on a gun?

This is a discussion on Would you draw on a gun? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; it all depends. this is a very big what if question if I was pocket carrying, I would pull out my pistol like pulling out ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Would you draw on a gun?

it all depends. this is a very big what if question

if I was pocket carrying, I would pull out my pistol like pulling out my wallet and then shoot him maybe.

if I was at an arms length, I might quickly push his hand out of the way and draw and hip shoot. but who knows? I might fumble trying to unholster because of the circumstances who knows...

A defininite maybe.

RKM You posted --> But grabbing the top of a semi-auto, one shot and it jams
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May I add that pushing the slide of a semi to it's rear at the same time, brings the disconnector into play, he cannot fire that 'first' shot, nor can he until your grip is realeased.

We had a case where the victim was being pushed into the brush for executon. He delibertly cried and pleaded, creating enough resistance, so that the the unsuspecting baddie in disgust, tried to push him with the pistol, he resisted, then turned and violently pushed against the pistol, while at the same time grabbing it, the disconnector disconnected the trigger syptem - end of bad guy.

Don't you try this, unless it is the last hope that you may have, and, you understand how semi's trigger systems work.

Don Jose de La Mancah

"I exist to Live, notlive to exist"

Incidentally, as I have demonstated to the local state police, if the muzzle of the pistol, rifle, etc is touching you, he cannot shoot you with his first shot. Clarificaton, shoot you if you are engaging in a defensive maneuver. If you are just standing there, of course he can shoot you easily.

Don Jose de La Mancha
    Last edited by Tayopo; July 2nd, 2012 at 10:39 AM.

P95
    No one can answer that with a surety until in that situation. They may think they know.....

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Is drawing on a drawn gun always the best option? Could a disarm sometimes be the correct response to a scenario?
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

hi CHAD: Only as a ultimate last resort. Remember, in physical contact, size is to be entered into the equation, He is huge & you are my size, forget it . As for drawing while being covered, the odds are in your favor, but is it worth it?

For example, I have demontrated to the state police here, that in close contact, say 10 ft or 'less', that I can have my hands in the air, shoulder height, apparently surrendering, yet I can drop to a crouching position while drawing, shoot, many times beating your reaction. In any event, I will not be in your line of fire if you shoot. You will instinctively shoot where I was last.

Ask your firearm instructor to demonstrate, he can if he is competent. You can also, IF you know your firearm well enough to be sure it is actually empty after checking it three times..

I also demonstrate to them that if they touch me with a firearm they cannot shoot me with the first shot, I may be a bit powder burned, but no punctures / holes.. It is what I do in that short interval that counts, <--practice. Running away normally does not work, since most humans cannot outrun 1200 fps.

Don Jose de La Mancha
    Last edited by Tayopo; July 2nd, 2012 at 10:42 AM.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Chad, the answer to your question is it depends on the situation, how you have trained, practice and what you are capable of doing. How close you are together, how each is standing, even how do you feel today would all play a role in what you could and should do at that time. That is why I'm a advocate of training and practice. Training to learn the how and then practice to reinforce the learning of the actual doing.

When facing a real gun is not the time to consider trying something new. If in a real situation you don't know how and why from already doing it in training and practice don't do anything. Saying I think I can and I feel lucky just never looked good to me when facing death.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

suntzu +++++ post. while I have had extensive training in this factor, and post on it, nowhere would I advise anyone to actually try it without 'practicing' first, and then. only in what you believe is truly a life and death situation. My life is worth more than a handfull of rapidly depreciating 20's - well to me anyway, since I still have 61 years of girl chasing before my 150 th birthday party.

Incidentally, in 'all' of the Kung foo, Seagal type of pictures they admit to many failures or booboos while filming the good guy doing what we are talking about,, and these are highly tuned professionals. We 'all' fumble at critical times = RIP.

Don Jose de La Mancha

"I exist to Live, not live to exist"

Would I DATD? Perhaps not. At least not immediately. My reaction depends on a whole lot of things. We'll say it's your typical movie-type scenario where the mugger listens for your approach and steps out from behind something and extends his gun. We'll also assume my wife is with me. Again there are a lot of variables, the most important of which at the moment I believe is distance. Assuming he's within 5-6 feet, I should be able to get off the X, blade and move outside and to his strong side. Assuming a typical right-handed person, this means turning to my right and moving forward and left to place myself to the attacker's right. While moving put the right arm up, using my forearm to direct his right arm away from my body and to my right. Rotate the arm to grab his wrist for control and leverage. While using control of his wrist to keep the gun pointed in a safe direction, hopefully somewhat towards the ground, extend my arm and swing it out as if in a backhand motion. This motion should pull the gun behind me and give a lot more leverage for an elbow or hammerfist to the face with my left. All this should bring you right alongside and behind them, at which point you may want to keep control of their arm while delivering a downward elbow into their collarbone, which should have increased effectiveness because you're going to limit their backward recoil. Good chance you'll break their collarbone, rendering their strong arm effectively useless.

It sounds like a lot, but if practiced it should be very fast and fluid. Grabbing their wrist ensures at least partial control of the direction of fire and may induce a misfire. Pulling their wrist to your right continues that control of both the gun and their entire body. It will jerk them somewhat counter-clockwise, making a weak-hand strike by them difficult, at the same time increasing leverage and speed for a powerful weak-hand strike of your own by pulling them into the strike.

It may be hard to picture what I'm talking about with just a text description, but the gist of my post is to say I'd act against the drop, but not necessarily draw. An unarmed response would be faster and less likely to get me shot. Once their control of their gun is relinquished, I get it away from them and reassess. Perhaps in the moment the best action is to step on their gun, draw mine and cover them. perhaps I can't actually break the collarbone and wrest control of their gun, in which case the next goal is to keep theirs pointed away from me and draw mine, shooting from a retention position.
    GunTrooper likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Would you draw on a gun?
    If you honestly believe that the person holding the gun is going to use it what would you have to lose?

Michael

If he's already got the bead on you, at inside 20 feet, then you have few options. But drawing on him probably isn't the best. tThink of his mindset: If he would kill you for a wallet, then you probably will get shot. If he just wants the money, then the gun is just a coersion device and you probably won't get shot. If he's doing it as a gang ritual or street cred, you probably will get shot (hell, he wants to do some prison time to earn street cred, so he would shoot you in a heartbeat and not even think twice about it...) But if he's scared or irrational, he may only shoot you if he feels threatened. Try to buy time. Each moment you're alive is one moment for the situation to get better, or maybe even resolved. Try to buy time, make a mental plan to attack him or run (fight or flight) then when you get the smallest of openings, execute your plan,

Afternoon gunTrouper. limeade ??

You posted --> . If he's doing it as a gang ritual or street cred, you probably will get shot (hell, he wants to do some prison time to earn street cred, so he would shoot you in a heartbeat and not even think twice about it...)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a requirment for the narco gangs inner circles. Also, many rerquire cutting off the head of a living person. They exist on terror.

Don Jose de La Mancha

I feel like if I was there I would have drawn but just kept the gun to my side incase he decided to escalate, The nature of our town has been one of a major increase in narcotic related crime and desperate drug addicts, You can never tell how far they would go with their crime....

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Sponsored Links