Prepared Home Defense

Prepared Home Defense

This is a discussion on Prepared Home Defense within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My home has been broken into 5 times over 5 years. Everything from guns to TV to more importantly my peace of mind taken. Now ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Prepared Home Defense

Prepared Home Defense

My home has been broken into 5 times over 5 years. Everything from guns to TV to more importantly my peace of mind taken. Now besides the obvious "you need to move" answer how about:

1. Ways to improve security (is the penalty for bobbie trapping worth it, I was told it is premediatated murder) and other ways to feel and be safer
    ”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
    --unknown

Well not knowing what you currently have and what your current precautions are it's a bit tough to suggest where to improve.

It is all up to you

There are many simple options for hardening a location. The type of attacks that have been employed in the past could provide some starting points. All the quick fixes are only that, thy will stop the crackhead but not the professional. An alarm system could be a viable option depending again on location.

As far as booby trapping I would love to dig a pungi mote behind my 6 foot wall people still feel the need to jump but no the penalty's are not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Well not knowing what you currently have and what your current precautions are it's a bit tough to suggest where to improve.
    Good point. Standard dead bolts, locked windows, large, aggresive dog that stays indoors and roams freely, ADT basic security system. The standard regular touches. Have considered steel frame doors and camera systems. Looking for any new suggestions or even some impractical, off the wall ones that might have worked for someone else.
    ”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
    --unknown

The main problems have been the back door and window beside it, and crackheads, thugs, and 17 year old bad a**es trying to prove themselves (because nothing is more manly) are 100% of my problem.
    --unknown

A decent sized dog would be an option.

Well, cage the window, I'd think! Randomized lights. A trick I like to do is to leave the TV on, because the flickering light of a TV is distinctive.

If a large dog and ADT aren't doing it, though, then you've likely got some pretty big troubles.
    There WILL be patents with this (simple) discovery. That, and "type III levers". It's untapped wealth, waiting for you who Google. Or your kids. People expanding on the potential are welcome to elucidate; I didn't phrase it well

Motion lights near all entrances.

Put one of those deals on your door frame and door that can't be kicked in. Those are nice. Bar your one back glass and starve your dog for a week! I am joking about the dog part but depending on age and breed you might be able to get him training?

I'd be MOVING..............OMO.

Leave a radio or TV on when you are not home.

Change your routine or make it look like you are not home, hopefully word would get around that one of them got shot breaking into your place and they'd be smart enough to avoid it. Yeah, I'm dreaming here.

I think someone makes a doorstop alarm that has a loud siren when the door is opened, it just wedges under the door like a doorstop.

Marbles, something for their head to hit on the way down.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Leave a radio or TV on when you are not home.

Change your routine or make it look like you are not home, hopefully word would get around that one of them got shot breaking into your place and they'd be smart enough to avoid it. Yeah, I'm dreaming here.

I think someone makes a doorstop alarm that has a loud siren when the door is opened, it just wedges under the door like a doorstop.

Marbles, something for their head to hit on the way down.
    You can also get the loud "noise" alarms for your windows. If there is a pattern, time frame wise, of when your home is broken into, then as said above, altering your normal patterns can play a factor IF they've watched your coming and going. Making things noisy and unpredictible on your side, along with the other things suggested here should help considerably. I'd be darn certain, if I'm home, that I have weapons either in hand, or when sleeping, near hand, to counter any intentional home invasion...There MUST be a reason that your home is being targeted on a regular basis...You have to figure out what that reason is and correct it...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Sorry OP but your dog isnt very aggressive if these guys are breaking into your house FIVE times. If it is an appropriate breed maybe consider some training but be warned it takes months to properly complete it.

Have you ever considered getting the 3M film for your windows if that is how they are breaking in?

Ex Member
    I have: triple locks on all doors and windows, motion sensors, door and window sensors, barking dogs, and retired noisy neighbors. Well I am also a disabled Vet so I am home 95+% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by pamooreems View Post
    My home has been broken into 5 times over 5 years. Everything from guns to TV to more importantly my peace of mind taken. Now besides the obvious "you need to move" answer how about:

1. Ways to improve security (is the penalty for bobbie trapping worth it, I was told it is premediatated murder) and other ways to feel and be safer
    Other than the expense of state of the art home security these days....I'd stay awake 24/7 until I caught someone in the act......call 911 when it's happening, then defend yourself according to local laws. Geneva convention applies. You cannot booby trap your place because there are lawyers who never see you as a victim. Security can mean a lot of things. You think outside the box or you're in the box. Either way, you have viable and legal alternatives to being taken advantage of time and again. If you don't...........move.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links