situational awareness in the car driving through a crowded area

This is a discussion on situational awareness in the car driving through a crowded area within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live about a hundred yards from the amway center in Orlando where the nba all star game is going on, and that along with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: situational awareness in the car driving through a crowded area

I live about a hundred yards from the amway center in Orlando where the nba all star game is going on, and that along with the usual huge nightclub crowds has led to an added two hours of snails pace traffic through mobs of people on my drive home from work as I am going through downtown and the associated all star game roadblocks (I have a residents pass to get through the roadblocks which lead to streets full of busses and people). since I live so close to the arena there is no real way to avoid the crowds on all sides of my building. what advice do you have for situational awareness on my drive home because I have at least another night of this and probably people staying in the area for a couple extra days after all star weekend has ended. I had a couple instances where I was extremely close to drawing my weapon during tonights drive. I drive a muscle car with clear forward view but limited sight lines to the back and sides of the car. Even though this will end in the next few days for me I thought the advice could also help those in a similar situation in the future. (I can't wait until my move to a nice quiet town in colorado in a few months)

It would be great to have an armed copilot in a situation like that...

Not a lot you can do except have great patience. Keep the eyes open and distractions (like the radio) to a minimum, and maybe have the cell phone as reachable as the sidearm. Doors locked and windows mostly up, right?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

yep thats pretty much what I did windows 90% of the way up excel for talking/ showing pass to to LEOs at roadblocks. I didn't even think about my cellphone though Im sure it was in my pocket or center console but I don't remember even thinking about it. That is something I will be sure to think of tomorrow and put it in a center console upholder in easy reach. I wish I could have an armed copilot but I don't have a roommate and I doubt any friends or coworkers would be interested in taking that ride and staying downtown with all the noise from helicopters busses and music all night or trying to drive out. I might even just stay with my parents in the suburbs tomorrow night to avoid this mess. one of the reasons I asked was in halloween traffic last october, I had a drunk very sketchy guy approach the car from behind and to the side that I didn't even see until he was at the window and talking to me through the window (did not have my ccw yet at the time) But I guess in my situation I would have to have an armed copilot to change that, because even though I check mirrors and forward he somehow got past.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    if you have duel side mirrors you adjust them to eliminate the blindspot.
    this is in conjunction with the interior mirror and you will be able to see people near your car;
    makes it very hard for anyone on foot to sneak up on you.

otherwise be calm and patient and leave space around you, even if it means some people will walk in front of you---
    its for a few days, ya gotta cope.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Avoiding the problem or situation is the key. I think you hit the nail on the head with staying at the parents (If only for a good nights sleep, plus I heard she make some killer samiches..hehe). I woudn't risk some drunk getting body slammed on the hood of my muscle car.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

the past few days have just been the pre game events (dunk contest, celebrity game, etc...) tomorrow is the actual game so unless theres an emergency at my apartment I will be staying at the parents house.

"if you have duel side mirrors you adjust them to eliminate the blindspot.
    this is in conjunction with the interior mirror and you will be able to see people near your car"--- if I were in most cars that would work however my car has a pretty large blind spot that doesn't affect driving if you're used to it, but can allow for someone to sneak up low and next to the car if the mirrors are in a safe driving position. If you don't believe me go to a chevy dealership and sit in a camaro

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    If you do not put yourself in a potential "situation" you do not have to have the means to get our of the "situation". Staying away by going to parents' house, is an excellent SA move. Only thing about the car that I did not see mentioned is you leave space, as best you can, between you and car in front and, if possible, stay in right lane--opportunities to use your car as your SA escape, even if it means messing it up (that would hurt now wouldn't it). Actually, on any day, you should leave some space in front of you as a potential way to use your car to extricate yourself from a potential problem.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

VIP Member
    Easiest way to avoid it would have been to take a vacation for the week. Short of that, the suggestions the others have given pretty well cover it.
    oneshot and tcox4freedom like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

A couple of nights with the parents sounds good, and the home-cooked meals wouldn't hurt either.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A couple of nights with the parents sounds good, and the home-cooked meals wouldn't hurt either.

^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^

Nothing like getting out of Dodge, when the crowd is gathering at the OK corral.
    Why be there.
    People do this for golf tournaments around here all the time.
    They rent out their house, sometimes to the pro's if their house is on the golf course.
    Then they split, for parts unknown.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

From archie: "I had a couple instances where I was extremely close to drawing my weapon during tonights drive."

What were some of the instances where you felt threaten enough to be extremely close to drawing your weapon? They must have been really bad since that should be your last resort and you seem to be close to it.
    Carry: Sig P238
    Home: Stoeger Couger 8000F 9mm

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by odeaar View Post
    From archie: "I had a couple instances where I was extremely close to drawing my weapon during tonights drive."

What were some of the instances where you felt threaten enough to be extremely close to drawing your weapon? They must have been really bad since that should be your last resort and you seem to be close to it.
    I wouldn't mind hearing about this as well.

while on a back road trying and failing to escape traffic guy started to approach car with what I think was a crowbar, officer on corner about 30 yds ahead somehow noticed, shouted and ran over, waved me on and bg took off (pretty stupid bg to do that so close to police). doubt they got the guy but traffic opened up for a couple blocks and I got out of there didn't want to stick around to find out when I had already been waved on. the other wasn't extremely close but was a similar approaching car with some sort of black bar or club or something in his hand but turned away about 15 yds out (not sure why).

"Easiest way to avoid it would have been to take a vacation for the week. Short of that, the suggestions the others have given pretty well cover it."

I wish, but I seem to keep finding new guns to spend my money on so no vacations for me

It was great that all LEO I encountered at roadblocks etc... were on top of everything going on and helpful getting back to my apartment when they could be

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links