Some thing strange at the bank

This is a discussion on Some thing strange at the bank within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 Just call 911, wait and watch from a distance. That's what I would do, if I didn't see anyone coming or ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Some thing strange at the bank

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Just call 911, wait and watch from a distance.
    That's what I would do, if I didn't see anyone coming or going for a reasonable time. Better to call and be wrong about something than to wait which could mean something goes from bad to worse if something is happening. I've had many officers tell me that if you think something is suspicious, by all means call.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    That's what I would do, if I didn't see anyone coming or going for a reasonable time. Better to call and be wrong about something than to wait which could mean something goes from bad to worse if something is happening. I've had many officers tell me that if you think something is suspicious, by all means call.
    This is what I don;t understand. The only way to see if people are coming and going in and out is to park and observe for a period of time. Is this what folks do these days. Drive into the parking lot of a bank and sit there for a few minutes? I my self park, get out and head to the door. Just call me old fashioned
    Spade115 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    So, you are saying that when you go to a bank, you wait outside for a few minutes first to see if things are safe?
    Nah, I'm probably like everyone else. I check the lot for number of customers and try to figure out how long I'll be inside. I then decide if the trip is worth the effort. One other thing I have started doing is checking out who is in the lot, whether inside or outside of a vehicle. I drive a complete circle around the bank. Mine is a stand alone building surrounded by parking lots. I always look for potential wheel-men.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    This is what I don;t understand. The only way to see if people are coming and going in and out is to park and observe for a period of time. Is this what folks do these days. Drive into the parking lot of a bank and sit there for a few minutes? I my self park, get out and head to the door. Just call me old fashioned
    I probably would do the same prior to thinking about it here. It would suck to walk in on a robbery. Glad the bank I deal with has good open visuals.

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk 2
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Come back "after" lunch.

My bank (cu) gets busy at times since it's the only branch in town. I just leave & come back later.

I would walk in... After all, if I'm there, I assume I need to get some banking done :)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swmft View Post
    You arrive at the bank there are 12 cars in the lot drive thru is closed middle of the day no one is coming out

what do you do
    Okay, I've now come to the conclusion, that my first post was stupid and that I should first park outside the perimeter of the bank, wait for at least 10 minutes to observe if anyone is coming out of the bank at all. If none are, then I am to slowly approach the bank door with my pistol in my hand but holding it in a "ready" position straight down slightly behind my back. I then approach the doors while crouching and grab an available stick so I can slowly pull the door open with it and then look inside. If all looks well, I should just holster, stand up, and go in (never mind that 10 people have already passed me going in) and then do my business. If I see something out of the ordinary, I should let the door close, quickly bugger off to the side and run to call 911. Now, if 5 of us, who follow that procedure, should do it at the same time, there will definitely be some suspicious characters and I should probably exit quickly and call 911 because I saw 4 other people crouching, approaching the door with their guns in a ready position.

Better yet, I think I'll just use the drive through window.

Funny how a day to think it over can change your thoughts.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

If it was in Aurora, CO, I guess I'd prepare to be stopped at the next intersection and cuffed on the curb while my vehicle was searched, then arrested because I had two "high powered handguns" on me.

BTW, doesn't everybody enter your bank in a low crawl?

ok Ive read most of these and heres my thing...If I goto a bank I usually get off my bike and start walking towrds the door I will usually look around to see what cars/bikes are in the lot (I have a good memory of certain cars) and if I see someone in the back scopeing out the bank I will probably call the cops as I walk in. o.0
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I am sorry for the comment but are there thread writers out there who can write in english?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I am sorry for the comment but are there thread writers out there who can write in english?
    ¿Que?
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

well its obvious you just get your trusty duct tape out and run around the bank so they cant get out and call the poe-poe

Where I bank, two places, I don't imagine the drive through being closed. Both facilities, the drive through is a separate building, and I rarely go inside.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by swmft View Post
    You arrive at the bank there are 12 cars in the lot drive thru is closed middle of the day no one is coming out

what do you do
    Throughout any normal banking day, at most smaller bank facilities there are plenty of times when nobody is actively entering/exiting from the front doors. With drive-through lanes, they're generally functional only if the air-delivery pipe system is operable and/or they've got sufficient staffing to keep the drive-through lane(s) open.

If there wasn't anything posted on the front door and it was clearly open for business, I wouldn't have anything more than a passing elevation of my awareness of the strange aspect of the drive-through being inactive. I wouldn't be on red alert for, say, a potential robbery or something like that, at least not any more than usual when approaching a higher-value target such as a repository for cash.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Come back later to do your banking business and hope the BGs didn't get all the money.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links