Your thoughts on this stabbing scenerio?

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on this stabbing scenerio? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Southern Nazarene University students were distributing food to the homeless near Lake Overholser when a man attacked Zachary Smith, 21. BY ROBERT MEDLEY rmedley@opubco.com Oklahoman ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru
  • 3 Post By CowboyColby
  • 3 Post By First Sgt

Thread: Your thoughts on this stabbing scenerio?

Your thoughts on this stabbing scenerio?

Southern Nazarene University students were distributing food to the homeless near Lake Overholser when a man attacked Zachary Smith, 21.
    BY ROBERT MEDLEY rmedley@opubco.com Oklahoman 1 Published: February 6, 2012

A Southern Nazarene University student was trying to help the homeless when a vagrant man stabbed him near Lake Overholser, police said.

Zachary Smith, 21, was with other students taking food to homeless people when they encountered a man on the west side of Lake Overholser about 7:45 p.m. Saturday, police Master Sgt. Gary Knight said.

The students placed food on the ground near the man, who struck Smith in the head and stabbed him several times, Knight said.

Smith was taken to OU Medical Center where he was treated for wounds and released, hospital spokesman Dennis Gimmel said.

The man who attacked Smith is described as white and in his 40s, Knight said. They did not find him.

SNU officials were contacted by police. They notified Smith's family and helped him get back to campus, SNU spokeswoman Sarah Roberts said.

Roberts released a statement about the incident:

“We are deeply concerned for the students that were involved in this traumatic experience and are most grateful that the injuries sustained were not more serious. The students involved were acting compassionately, as many of our students do on a daily basis, serving the community and meeting human needs as they encounter them.”

Roberts said SNU has counseling available to students who may need it. The students were not involved in a sponsored SNU activity when the attack happened, she said.

Read more: Southern Nazarene University student stabbed while trying to help the homeless | NewsOK.com
    It's not the weapon that makes me hesitant to fire upon someone at long range, but the legal ramifications and plethora of good prosecuting attorneys.

2. Remove Ads

Wrong place at the wrong time I guess...

It looks like it's just one of those crazy things that defy logic...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I feel for him but when you deal with homeless people you take a chance. these people have mental issues and the students should be in “two’s" to avoid problems like this
    .45acpguy likes this.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Looks like no more handing out food to the vagrants.

"Don't bite the hand that feeds you" or in this case stab
    BkCo1, ironmike86 and Secret Spuk like this.

Thoughts on this scenario:

1. Don't go stupid places (where numerous potential adversaries might be located), doing stupid things (approaching individuals that may or may not want your presence inorder to render good samaritan acts), with stupid people (those that are not knowledgeable of the potential danger from homeless people, that ar not knowledgeable of the basics of SA, that are not knowledgeable in the minimum necessary for self/group protection, i.e. pepper spray, force on force defensive training, up to and including CWP and being armed)...

2. Those students intent on serving the community by attempting to aid the homeless, should think out a plan (i.e. set up tables with food line in a very public place in the vicinity of the location they are attempting to contact) so that they might minister to these folks as well as offer food assistance to those that are hungry.

3. All involved in ministering to the homeless, should be subject to proper training as college students in the mentality of the homeless and their emotional issues that might be encountered and the best way to approach/engage when helping them.

4. If of age, consider getting Oklahoma CWP, train, and when going to locations that are permissible to carry in, then stay armed for your own protection and perhaps that of others.

5. Learn what Situational Awareness is, and learn to adapt it to your everyday activities, including aid to the homeless, whether on or off campus.

6. Always be in a group.

JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Play you cards, take your chances. Glad he wasn't roughed up more seriously.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

First Sgt....I like the points you made.

I posted this because it hits too close to home. I'm a youth pastor and have taken a group of kids for a week each summer into inner cities to help the homeless each of the last two summers. We did work with professional organizations each time, but there is still a lot of risk involved. Reading about this student's experience forced me to realize that I have been negligent in teaching my youth group kids better SA. Before each trip I do go through some pretty strict rules concerning contact with homeless people. I also take enough adults with me that each group has at least one adult present at all times. I never send a group out without an adult. During these trips my SA is always on high alert; however, 13-17 yr old kids don't think about these things.

I decided before this stabbing event that I'm getting my CCL. This event just happens to reinforce it. I also will be concealed while on youth trips such as the ones described above. Unfortunately, our next trip is to Kalifornia, but we won't be putting ourselves into as much danger in that work as we did in the inner cities. It's hard enough keeping track of my family with proactive SA. It's going to be nearly impossible with more than a dozen teenagers. Guess I'll have an adult SA training night at my house before the trip.
    It's not the weapon that makes me hesitant to fire upon someone at long range, but the legal ramifications and plethora of good prosecuting attorneys.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Thoughts on this scenario:

1. Don't go stupid places (where numerous potential adversaries might be located), doing stupid things (approaching individuals that may or may not want your presence inorder to render good samaritan acts), with stupid people (those that are not knowledgeable of the potential danger from homeless people, that ar not knowledgeable of the basics of SA, that are not knowledgeable in the minimum necessary for self/group protection, i.e. pepper spray, force on force defensive training, up to and including CWP and being armed)...

2. Those students intent on serving the community by attempting to aid the homeless, should think out a plan (i.e. set up tables with food line in a very public place in the vicinity of the location they are attempting to contact) so that they might minister to these folks as well as offer food assistance to those that are hungry.

3. All involved in ministering to the homeless, should be subject to proper training as college students in the mentality of the homeless and their emotional issues that might be encountered and the best way to approach/engage when helping them.

4. If of age, consider getting Oklahoma CWP, train, and when going to locations that are permissible to carry in, then stay armed for your own protection and perhaps that of others.

5. Learn what Situational Awareness is, and learn to adapt it to your everyday activities, including aid to the homeless, whether on or off campus.

6. Always be in a group.

JMO

^^^I'm in this camp here^^^^^^^^^^^

Trying to help people who don't want help is like trying to put the rain back into a cloud.

There is a reason this guy was in a remote place, with few, or no other human beings around.
    HE DOESN'T WANT TO BE BOTHERED, OR TO HAVE ANY INTERACTION WITH YOU!

I admire the students for trying to save the world, but sometimes the world don't want saving.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    While very kind and compassionate handing out food and supplies to the homeless where they reside is probably not a safe thing to do.

The urban city next to my suburban town has a large homeless population due to that city's support system. Other communities actually bus in their homeless to take advantage of the social programs. It's common knowledge that some in the homeless community suffer from severe mental disorders. In addition a cruel segment of society deems harassing the homeless as entertainment. This sets the stage for problems when care groups approach the homeless to help. They are already defensive about outsiders and these people are not exactly sure of what the outsider plans.

Setting up a central reception area where a group of helpers can hand out food and necessities would work much better than approaching the unfortunate on their turf.

Many years ago when I was a teenager my friends and I were skateboarding in the city late one night. We witnessed a group of kids about our age beating homeless people while they slept on benches in the park. It made me sick to see how cruel and heartless individuals can be.

Bad things ,,,,, do happen to GOOD PEOPLE.

Links