~The 21 Foot Rule~

~The 21 Foot Rule~

This is a discussion on ~The 21 Foot Rule~ within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many of you probably allready know about the '21 Foot Rule'. I just wanted to share this for those folks who may not be too ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: ~The 21 Foot Rule~

Lightbulb ~The 21 Foot Rule~

Many of you probably allready know about the '21 Foot Rule'.
    I just wanted to share this for those folks who may not be too familiar with it.
    It's an older video, but it's still very good and quite possibly life saving information.
    ~Stay Safe Everyone~

Too close - dont underestimate the knife - YouTube
    _Hawkeye_, Bad Bob and azchevy like this.
    ~The Dude Abides~

Good Video...It's always good to remind folks of the 21 foot rule and the importance of incorporating the Tueller Drill into training scenarios. Equally important is to remember to "Get Off The X". JMO
    The_Outlaw likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I've seen that video before, but it's always good to watch again as a reminder.
    Thanks for posting it "Outlaw".
    The_Outlaw likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    This rule has actually been increased to 25feet now. I had my friend rush me. I was unable to pull aim and get any good fake shots off with my plastic red training gun.
    The_Outlaw and oneshot like this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    This rule has actually been increased to 25feet now. I had my friend rush me. I was unable to pull aim and get any good fake shots off with my plastic red training gun.
    Because your first response should be to move and use physical force to defend yourself and once you have initiated movement lateral ( preferably away from the strong side) or away from the threat and are using your offhand to engage the threat and protect your head and vitals... all while trying to create separation then you can draw and empty your magazine/chamber into the threat until it stops.... yeah you may get stabbed or hit in the arm, but better the arm than your head, neck, or COM...... this is why I advocate AIWB.... weapon retention and drawing is much easier when your off hand/arm is engaging a threat during a FOF situation. it is a lot harder than it sounds when I type it out, that is why you need to practice so you can understand adrenaline and how your gross and fine motor skills are affected. Pretty much count on being stabbed or cut if a knife is in play at that range....
    The_Outlaw likes this.

If you've seen the interview with Mr. Tueller, you'll know that the 21'-0 number was just a random distance that's all, that was chosen to run the drill at the time.....the video here depicts exactly that. that's why incorporating other techniques like the "Fence" to help ward off the attack.....especially at close quarters.
    The_Outlaw and chefjon like this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    train in most any sport and sooner or later you will have an 'ah-ha' moment regarding some aspect of how or why you are training as you do

with SD one of those moments may be when you realize that the gun may not always be the go-to, the default tool you need for every situation

and that you need to add other methods, or modify the way you are training to accommodate new perceptions as to how a fight may occur.
    The_Outlaw, AOK and smolck like this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

AOK
    Good post Outlaw.

Quite often an unknown contact will get closer to you than 21 feet. Even if you see them prior to 21 feet they will try and use some sort of verbal distraction to allow them to get close. Add in the fact that the assailant will likely take initative in the attack odds are VERY high that the fight will be very close and you will not be able to deploy your weapon immediately.

As mentioned in the video it is very important to have those hand-to-hand skills that you can apply and THEN deploy your weapon when the opportunity presents itself. IF you do have the time to draw into retention, (as mentioned) you need to move. In addtion, have the ability to carry out combatives and guard yourself with your off hand while simultaneously dumping rounds into the assailant.

Of course we are not even getting into mulitple assailants......
    The_Outlaw likes this.

Always a good reminder
    The_Outlaw likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    As a non LEO I don't have a duty to approach bad guys. This is important because I can start to make space between me and a perceived BG before the action starts. Putting a car, gas pump or even a trash can between you and the BG will really help lessen the 21 ft needed to employ your weapon.

I know from athletics that action always beats reaction. Being first is the key to victory. The problem is knowing when to act. Situational awareness is key, also I like to remind myself that it's easier to avoid a fight than to win one.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Good reminder.
    The_Outlaw likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Thanks
    The_Outlaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised.
    I have heard that the 21 foot rule is the 'minimum' distance needed and that would be in an 'open carry' scenario with your sidearm in your holster with hand on your sidearm.

A concealed carry scenario would need even more distance it seems.

Considering how most encounters will probably happen within 6 - 8 feet, We all definately need to stay sharp & frosty if the fit ever hits the shan. Practice, practice, practice.
    azchevy likes this.
    ~The Dude Abides~

This was part of the defensive training in my LE academy years ago. Logically, you think you can respond to a threat much closer than reality shows.

The other important part of the training was weapon retention which does not get much 'air time' in the CHL circles. Come up with your strategy and practice it(with an unloaded weapon of course) if you can get a buddy to help. There was a lot of time spent doing that because if you lose your firearm, your goose could quickly become cooked.
    The_Outlaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    This was part of the defensive training in my LE academy years ago. Logically, you think you can respond to a threat much closer than reality shows.

The other important part of the training was weapon retention which does not get much 'air time' in the CHL circles. Come up with your strategy and practice it(with an unloaded weapon of course) if you can get a buddy to help. There was a lot of time spent doing that because if you lose your firearm, your goose could quickly become cooked.
    Same here.
    I went through this same type of training when I was in the military police back in the 90's.
    People need to realize that knives are 'extremely dangerous' weapons and that the majority of bad guys on the street 'will' have some sort of 'blade' on them.
    Unfortunately, many people think that a sidearm bests and edged weapon 100% of the time.
    Those folks are sadly mistaken.
    Here is another eye opening video.

The 21ft rule - fail - YouTube
    AOK, JoeFriday and Bad Bob like this.
    ~The Dude Abides~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links