What Made me Decide to Get CCW - Page 2

What Made me Decide to Get CCW

This is a discussion on What Made me Decide to Get CCW within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having a gun is not going to be a cure all,but in a lot of situations it gives you the option of being able to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: What Made me Decide to Get CCW

Having a gun is not going to be a cure all,but in a lot of situations it gives you the option of being able to stop a threat.Most people are not going to be able to keep their head on a 360 swivel in traffic,too many blind spots,but after complying to a car jacking once the BG no longer has a gun on you then you may have the option to draw and fire.
    In the OP's report,his Dads situation wouldn't have ended any better even if he was armed,but barring the LEO intervention a concealed handgun could have ended the car jacking and sent a message
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

What made me decide to get a license was a local minister telling me and I quote "either find God or get the hell out of town" My response was a letter to the editor in our local paper, and CCW class. I'm still here. That was about 7 or 8 years ago.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

VIP Member
    My best friend murdered as an apparently-unarmed crowd stood by watching helplessly is one event which prompted me to remain armed at all times, and to practice at range.
    Deputy Sheriff Richard Anthony Herzog, King County Sheriff's Office, Washington
    The other was my next best friend found dead in a ditch, tangled up in his bicycle, for no apparent reason. If they find me in similar circumstances, let there be a pile of expended brass near my body.
    Last edited by Mike1956; March 3rd, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Mine was haveing to take large amounts of cash to bank nightly alone with my job.

And hearing one of my co workers getting robbed and shot takeing his deposit to bank .

Oh and the scum bag company could care less about the employess and would fire any one caught with a firearm.

They never new I carried daily there .

I wised up a few years back and told them to shove that job

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I turned 21, that was all it took. I knew that it was not only a bad plan to rely on someone else to keep me safe, but also incredibly selfish. I won't have someone lay down their life defending mine when I am fully capable of doing it myself.

I've now carried for over 17 years.

My primary carry is at 3:30--difficult to get to when strapped in. But my car gun (9mm) is in the center console all the time, with spare mag.

30k to 40K inmates being released in Cali.
    Proud IDPA Member

"Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid." ― John Wayne

"Necessity of action takes away the fear of the act, and makes bold resolution the favorite of fortune." -Francis Quarles

living in Milwaukee Area..all my life. Homestead turned into getto after living inner city for 30 years. Now on outskirts of Milwaukee but close enough for problem potential. Years ago I carried for survival. Now I carry CC not for survival as much as the piece of mind it offers me and my family.

I see this country going to the dogs and I am not going to give up my freedom of my wife, our home, our cars or anything else we own. I see us going the way Greece is heading and I want to be a survivor not a statistic.

I carry in the drivers door. It secure, no one can see it and I can easily pull it without making a lot of movement. Unfortunately, I am right handed but can do a good job drawing it lefty...
    Starsnbars likes this.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

I began CCW shortly after the February 2005 Tyler, Texas Courthouse shooting. You can Google it for the details, but, I was in a third floor office of the Courthouse when the shooting began. I witnessed it all, from the killing of the estranged wife and son, to the wounding of several Deputies, to the execution of private citizen Mark Wilson, a Texas CHL license holder who tried to end the attack by killing the BG. As the BG escaped in his pick-up, he sprayed the side of the building with rounds hitting the brick only three feet below the window where I crouched. I have never felt so helpless in my life. My wife and I both worked in the Courthouse and there was nothing I could have done to stop the BG had he entered the building looking to kill more people including us. The next day I signed up for my CHL classes. I always carry, because a nice, quiet, normal day at work can go to hell in seconds. You just never know.
    garyacman and Starsnbars like this.
    "If you only knew the power of the dark side!" - Darth Vader

Well I wouldn't say this event made me decide to get my CCW since I already had it, but it definitely made me more serious about it. So sorry about the long story, but here it goes.

A few years ago, I was out and about scouting some new four wheeling locations on some legal trails here in southern NH in the Jeep. By the time I got to the last location I wanted to look at, it was about 11:00 at night. I was about 20 miles from the nearest house, with cell phone service that was spotty at the very best. Whereas it was so late, I was alone with no other vehicles and no one to help if I was to get hopelessly stuck or break something, I decided to park the jeep and walk the trail. Armed with only my Maglite I set out. I hiked about a half mile or so and came to a section of the trail with a swamp on one side and a decent sized pond on the other. About a hundred yards past the end of the shore, I heard something rustling around in the woods at the edge of the water, followed by a small splash. I turned and pointed the light at the area, and saw nothing but a couple ripples in the water coming from the area. Figuring it was a fox or raccoon knocking a rock down into the water, I didn't think anything of it and continued on. Not more than ten seconds later, I heard something from the same area, followed by a large CRASH and sticks breaking and a much louder SPLASH. I whipped around and again pointed the light in the area. There was nothing there, except a bunch of broken branches leading to the water, which was rippling with what I would imagine would be the effect of throwing a basketball sized rock into the water. That's about when I decided it was time to go, and hi-tailed it back to the jeep.

I have no idea what kind of critter was sneaking up on me that night, but didn't care to stick around and find out. If it was as big as I thought it sounded I didn't want to try to fight it off with a Maglite either lol. So not your typical story you would hear on this site, but it's what finally made me realize I never wanted to say to myself "jeez I really wish I had a gun 30 seconds ago" again. I've been much more serious about carrying ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by paching View Post
    What made me get a cwp? I don't want to depend on anyone for protection, I love and want to be able to defend and protect my family, I don't want to be a statistic and I refuse to be a victim.
    Amen brother!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

I was the biggest anti gun anyone could see or imagine. Not because there were no violence or crime around, but the concept of guns period. My philosopy was "it will never happen to me". Here are several incidents that precipitated my decision to carry a firearm.

I was in a car with couple of friends, when a guy approached the window, after verbal exchange of words with one of my friends and he threatened to kill us if he (my friend) said one more word. No words followed (I though this was a good decision). But that was a really scary moment.

Another incident/s: 2 differents friends, and on separate occassions, one of them a female were involved in car jackings. One of those car jackings involving the female friend (very good frriend) was also a kidnap situation and ended up in a shootout between the culprits after they took her money, wallet, credit cards etc. One of them (BG) tried to take all the stuff by himself and thats what triggered the shootings.

Another incident: another good friend of mine's wife was stabbed in the abdomen during a robbery. The robber snatched her purse in an apartment hallway (very bold considering the location). She resisted out of instinct and she was then stabbed. She survived but spent time in hospital and it was a long recovery for them.

Note: these incidents happented in a span of 3-4 years and yet I was not convinced that I need to own or carry a firearm for protection. Again, I was being naive and just believed in the "it is not going to happen to me" thing. There were sort of denial as well.

Note: my cousine carried all the time and I used to tell him he was paranoid. I used to tell him you are more likely to shoot yourself accidently than use your gun on a BG. I was always afraid that his young childrent will one day get a hold of the gun followed by a tragic outcome. My cousin is a responsible person, but this is all me in my head.

Final incident that made me say screw this: I used to go to a grocery once a week, minimum. The owners and staff, I knew them by name and became really good friends with them. One day (last winter), two of the owners and a customer were shot to death in a robbery. One of the robbers actually went back to the store to finish one of the victims (the customer), who was still alive. One employee survived by hiding in a big freezer. He hid from the robbers and dodged the bullets, but had a close call with hypothermia. I could have been there. This really pissed me off. They didn't deserve this. The customer was buying a phone card to call his pregnant wife in overseas.

That store's staff is now armed, and so am I.

This is my friends is the story of my journey to become a CC holder.

Mopack, your first post! Welcome to the forum

My decision to start carrying is I aged and no longer had the speed, strength and over confidence of youth.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If some guy threatened to date me I would not only get a Gun,but a chastity belt too
    You make me chuckle Duk.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links