What Made me Decide to Get CCW

This is a discussion on What Made me Decide to Get CCW within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About two years ago this situation happened to my Dad, He was driving home from work and was stopped at a stop light at a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: What Made me Decide to Get CCW

About two years ago this situation happened to my Dad,

He was driving home from work and was stopped at a stop light at a 3 way intersection. Suddenly he noticed a car come to a screeching halt in the middle of an intersection. He noticed a flat tire and just thought the car was out of control and came to a stop. Next thing he realizes one guy with a gun at the front of his car, and another guy at his door with a gun, both yelling at him to get out. How he handled it was to comply he put his hands up opened the door and got out. Just as he got out he heard someone yell, "Citizen get down now!" he complied. As he tells the story he hit the deck looking to his right and all he could see was the perp falling to the ground, he looked to the left and he saw the other perp running and all of a sudden he fell to the ground. All the time he could never hear the gunshots (14 total) After all this happened he found out that the guy who yelled for him to get down was an undercover detective who was heading to the courthouse with his partner. He just happened to be there. This all started when the perps tried to steal some iPhones from a guy with a craigslist ad. One perp died on the scene, the other was sentenced to 87 years in jail after recovering from critical condition.

I have always thought of how I would handle that situation. I have since purchased a S&W SD40, and a Bodyguard 380. My BG380 is always in the car with me. I have also applied for my CCW but have to wait 90 days to get it. I asked my dad if he had a gun would it have been different, he actually didnt think so because he wouldn't be sure if he could have reacted in time as it happened so fast. He has actually never shot a handgun, and I am taking him tomorrow to the range to hopefully change his mind and get one!

My question is how do you carry in your car, is it still attached to your hip? Or do you have a different rig set up to have access quicker?

I wear mine in the same place, since I have carried there for the past 40+ years. 3:00 OWB. Never a doubt if I need it, where it is.
    mano3 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I decided it was time to start packing a CCW when the "Urban Youth" of St. Louis decided they want to play the knockout game (Polar bear hunting, knockout king, one punch). The knock out game is not a game but a violent attack on the citizens of St. Louis.

Knockout King: Kids call it a game. Academics call it a bogus trend. Cops call it murder. - Page 1 - News - St. Louis - Riverfront Times

St. Louis 'knockout game' case dismissed after witness misses court
    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
    – Benjamin Franklin

I asked my dad if he had a gun would it have been different, he actually didnt think so because he wouldn't be sure if he could have reacted in time as it happened so fast.
    This is a case where all the guns in the world wouldn't have helped him.

Sometimes the BG just gets the jump on ya, and all you can do is comply with them.
    Inspector71 likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Wow incredible story. Amazing how the human body tunes out those load sounds when needed.

In the car I carry the same way I always do. IWB at 3:30. One thing to consider when you are in a car you are driving what could be used as a weapon or a quick mode of escape. As always be aware of your surroundings and stop so that you can see the rear tires meet the road on the vehicle in front of you so you have room to GTFO if needed.
    Some people attach a holster to the side of the console or on the knee bolster for their car gun.
    JerryMac likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

What Made me Decide to Get CCW????

The two stab wounds to my rib cage..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Poorcupcake View Post
    About two years ago this situation happened to my Dad,

He was driving home from work and was stopped at a stop light at a 3 way intersection. Suddenly he noticed a car come to a screeching halt in the middle of an intersection. He noticed a flat tire and just thought the car was out of control and came to a stop. Next thing he realizes one guy with a gun at the front of his car, and another guy at his door with a gun, both yelling at him to get out. How he handled it was to comply he put his hands up opened the door and got out. Just as he got out he heard someone yell, "Citizen get down now!" he complied. As he tells the story he hit the deck looking to his right and all he could see was the perp falling to the ground, he looked to the left and he saw the other perp running and all of a sudden he fell to the ground. All the time he could never hear the gunshots (14 total) After all this happened he found out that the guy who yelled for him to get down was an undercover detective who was heading to the courthouse with his partner. He just happened to be there. This all started when the perps tried to steal some iPhones from a guy with a craigslist ad. One perp died on the scene, the other was sentenced to 87 years in jail after recovering from critical condition.

I have always thought of how I would handle that situation. I have since purchased a S&W SD40, and a Bodyguard 380. My BG380 is always in the car with me. I have also applied for my CCW but have to wait 90 days to get it. I asked my dad if he had a gun would it have been different, he actually didnt think so because he wouldn't be sure if he could have reacted in time as it happened so fast. He has actually never shot a handgun, and I am taking him tomorrow to the range to hopefully change his mind and get one!

My question is how do you carry in your car, is it still attached to your hip? Or do you have a different rig set up to have access quicker?
    Can you say speed bump?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

He should have seen the guys coming toward him and accelerated through the light before they got that close. That probably was his best defense. Trying to pull out a gun probably would have cost him his life. imo
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

What made me decide to get a CPL (Michigan) was the guy who threatened to "take me out" while I grabbed a cup of coffee at Starbucks before work one morning.

I usually keep a gun in the car. There are some good rigs for carrying in your car. I believe if you look on Mitch Rosens website you can find a few. I believe one is called the Counter-Carjacker or something along those lines. It is a cross draw holster I believe. You can also use a shoulder rig or an ankle rig as well. And you can even mount a gun into the car which might be a good option. I have seen some holsters that clip onto the seat or the seatbelt. There are a lot of options to carry in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    What Made me Decide to Get CCW????

The two stab wounds to my rib cage..
    If I may ask, why on earth were you stabbed?

What made me get a cwp? I don't want to depend on anyone for protection, I love and want to be able to defend and protect my family, I don't want to be a statistic and I refuse to be a victim.
    mano3, BurgerBoy, Honk and 1 others like this.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Well, thankfully your dad accomplishhed his short term goal when this happened to him. He lived to tell you and others the story. I wouldn't even try to "monday morning Quarterback" that situation.
    JerryMac and mook012 like this.

Always on my hip, always. Although I do feel that a cross draw setup is better while in a vehicle.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by FastFreddie View Post
    What made me decide to get a CPL (Michigan) was the guy who threatened to "take me out" while I grabbed a cup of coffee at Starbucks before work one morning.
    If some guy threatened to date me I would not only get a Gun,but a chastity belt too
    RETSUPT99, tundra, JDE101 and 5 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links