Never Saw It Coming

This is a discussion on Never Saw It Coming within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This video shows the importance of SA. The first guy in this video never saw it coming, and unfortunately for him, it cost him... Knife ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Never Saw It Coming

Never Saw It Coming

This video shows the importance of SA. The first guy in this video never saw it coming, and unfortunately for him, it cost him...

Knife Robbery Ends In A Bloodbath Gun Save Lives - YouTube

2. Remove Ads

Situational awareness is a great thing to have.

But no one can stay 'switched-on' 24/7/365. There's just too much real life that gets in the way.

Have you ever been distracted (even for a few seconds) by the wife, kids, sickness, etc?

That's all it takes.

Assuming the tape is real (kind of looks it to me, too), I imagine we all feel for the first guy. There is still a lesson there. He is in a sort of transitional area, where active traffic is bottlenecked. In other words, everybody there is potentially going to be moving close to him, and behind him. He is positioned to almost the least advantage possible. Just being on the other side or the doorway (looking in the same direction he is looking) could have made a tremendous difference. On top of that, he seems to have been caught when he was almost unaware that he even has a six. Yeah, it could be that his wife or kid is in the lot outside, or something like that. We would understand that, and have probably been there. If that's the case, though, it's even more important to stay aware, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Situational awareness is a great thing to have.

But no one can stay 'switched-on' 24/7/365. There's just too much real life that gets in the way.

Have you ever been distracted (even for a few seconds) by the wife, kids, sickness, etc?

That's all it takes.
    I agree that we all get distracted. It was just a wake-up call for me seeing the poor guy in the video. It may have turned out differently for him had he stood on the other, farther side of the counter...

That's awful to watch. It shows the importance of on-body carry.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Without any background,if it was a Robbery,it's possible guy getting cut in doorway may have been a Security Guy,Robber took him out first,then went after store owner,IMHO if the owner would have been carrying on body and practiced deploying his gun from a holster the outcome may have been quicker without the Robber getting close enough to stab him.If It wouldn't have been for the other guy jumping in he probably would have never got to his gun before being stabbed to death
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

brutal

This just did not look like a robbery to me, the BG meant to cause as much injury with his knife as possible. He was going to keep it up until stopped. I think he was looking to die, OMHO!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Guy at the door was pretty much toast as he had no idea what was coming down. If the clerk had been thinking fight rather than defense at the start he could have pulled the gun and stopped the fight before it got to him. He's sitting there with the gun at his knee all he had to do was pull it and fire.

You need to train to react with violent action from the very start of the situation not submissive defense. Go offensive and change the BGs OODA loop don't let him run his plan run yours. Make him react to your action.
    jag7211 likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

VIP Member
    As Cold Shot said, Brutal. Watching the video even gave me pause. It's easy to second guess, I suppose, but I can't say I'd spring right into action if I saw that, given the shocking nature of the attack. I can understand why someone without training and experience would lock up for a few seconds.

Also, I'm not on SA alert 24/7. Sometimes I just want a lottery ticket, and my eyes aren't scanning the horizon. I live in the burbs, not a war zone. It's understandable how people are not always "on watch."

RKM
    I remembe reading about this video, apparently the first guy survive. The knife wielding lunatic didn't actually cut deep enough. I agree nobody can be 100% aware ALL of the time. It's just not possible. You can only do your best. I hate when there are times I'm at a store looking for something on the shelf, concentrating on trying to find something and I turn around and there is somebody RIGHT behind me. It happens. I do my best, but I'm not perfect. Only thing I would have done different than the guy who got his throat cut was not stand with my back directly against the door, but that only means I would have seen the guy coming to cut my throat, not prevented it. We allow people within 21' everyday. It's life. Situational awareness is awesome and great to have, but it doesn't solve everything.

mkh
    The guy behind the counter had to rack the slide before firing. Not the best way to be preyed for a SD situation.

Actually once the guy got into action he made a very good shot under difficult conditions.

Video is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm confused. He got off a shot and THEN had to rack the slide? Did his weapon jam & he had to do a tap & rack?
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links