"Interviewed" while walking the dog? - Page 2

"Interviewed" while walking the dog?

This is a discussion on "Interviewed" while walking the dog? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; thank God he didn't ask for change for a twenty; he would have wanted a ten or mugged you!...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: "Interviewed" while walking the dog?

thank God he didn't ask for change for a twenty; he would have wanted a ten or mugged you!

Quote Originally Posted by tactilame View Post
    It doesn't seem like a big deal, though I feel like we need more details. Was he dressed decently or in homeless attire (in other words, did he look like someone who lived in the area)? How did he ask for the change? I've noticed some people are more forceful than others, and the non-curtious ones are the people who make me more alert.

You do mention that the trail separates the neighborhood from an industrial park, he could've come from the latter area. It does seem unusual that someone from the area would ask for change. My gut tells me, though, that it was exactly what it appeared to be, just somebody broke asking for change. I too wouldn't have given him any.

I'm sure you've heard it before, and I hope you don't take offense to it, but in my case I would much prefer at least a .380 or 9mm over two sub .25 guns. If you have space for two small guns, surely you have room to replace those with one bigger gun.
    What?? You can't ask for a description of the person! That would be profiling or stereotyping! What was he wearing?? Really? Sheesh, what has this world come too...

(can we all just agree that Comic Sans font should be the new sarcasm font?)
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Thanks for the responses!

A few additional thoughts:

- In the brief time I saw him in the moonlight, the guy did not appear to be a typical homeless individual. He was a white male, probably mid-40s, 5'-8" to 5'-10", clean shaven wearing light clothing. His voice was also not the typical "gruff" voice shown by many homeless folks.

- I know the 21 ft rule, and yes, I probably should have given him a wider berth. Unfortunately, stepping off the sidewalk in that area pretty much guarantees that you will have a close encounter with a landmine of the canine variety, so it was not my automatic course of action.

- I am generally a fan of most firearms (except polymer and strikers). My typical primary armament for such walks is usually one of the following: a 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt with night sites, a 624 4", a 4014, a J-frame or an old Colt Agent. The mouse gun combo was out of necessity last night.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Why do we use the word "interviewed" when what we mean is "being sized up/set up to bring our situational awareness force field down?"
    Because it's a lot shorter than what you wrote, and most people know what is meant by it.

Without being in your shoes, it's hard to say - could very well have been something that could have progressed to a bad situation, perhaps it was the dog (not sure what kind it is) that deterred him as well.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Because it's a lot shorter than what you wrote, and most people know what is meant by it.
    It's just my subscription to the belief of the power of neurolinguistics.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

I use the term "bumped"; I use to SCUBA dive in the Keys and was once bumped by (I think) a black tip shark, which is a quite common behavior for sharks, they will physically bump potential prey to size it up and decide if it will make an easy meal. Got the same chill one night at a Stop-N-Rob when out of the shadows a voice asked if I had a cigarette.

Cops will also "bump" someone who caught their attention, approach and ask an innocent question just to gauge reaction, when open carrying in Missouri I was asked "Do you know the hammer of your pistol is cocked"? "What kind of holster is that"? etc. probably had no interest in the actual answer, just wanting to watch the reaction.

A bump is contact, verbal in the case of humans, which is intended to size up someone for possible further action.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I use the term "bumped"; I use to SCUBA dive in the Keys and was once bumped by (I think) a black tip shark, which is a quite common behavior for sharks, they will physically bump potential prey to size it up and decide if it will make an easy meal. Got the same chill one night at a Stop-N-Rob when out of the shadows a voice asked if I had a cigarette.

Cops will also "bump" someone who caught their attention, approach and ask an innocent question just to gauge reaction, when open carrying in Missouri I was asked "Do you know the hammer of your pistol is cocked"? "What kind of holster is that"? etc. probably had no interest in the actual answer, just wanting to watch the reaction.

A bump is contact, verbal in the case of humans, which is intended to size up someone for possible further action.
    I like that!
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

What kind of dog is it?

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    ....I am generally a fan of most firearms (except polymer and strikers).....
    That just ruled out a lot of pistols.

I would have probably lit him up with the flashlight. Besides, who asks for 75 cents these days?

I like that!
    Not Me, I Would'nt want to be BUMPED by shark or law ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Why do we use the word "interviewed" when what we mean is "being sized up/set up to bring our situational awareness force field down?"
    Because we want to fail the interview and not be selected as a target for the subsequent violent assault.

Do you folks think I was being interviewed and set-up for something more nefarious, or just encountered an idiot looking for some easy spare change?

Unfortunately, these go hand in hand. As these guys size you up for an easy mark or decide if it's worth the effort they'll take it! You certainly have to assume there may be an accomplice waiting in the wings. You know how it goes, give 'em an inch or .75 cents.........
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote from OP, "...I said "Sorry, I don't have anything on me right now", and we both continued in opposite directions..." I hope when you walked away your back was not turned toward him. Common for a lot of people to just turn their back and walk away, leaving them exposed to an attack from the rear. And I hope the OP had his hand on his gun. With one hand on gun and other hand holding leash, you have no hand free to give guy money. Sometimes when one hand free, it might be best to have a loose single in your pocket and hand it to the guy as you walk away - sideways walk.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Personally, I think your pup may have short-circuited this guys OODA loop. So, he fumbled to make an excuse as to why he appeared before you. Perhaps, he may have been trying to regroup after the dog discovered him. But, you handled thing pretty good.

I'd be interested in knowing what type of dog you have. Most people won't get within 30' of me when I walk my pits. (Especially, if they alert on a potential BG)
    jace33 and TaterSalad like this.

Seems you had the right demeaner as he didn't persue it.............

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links