"Interviewed" while walking the dog? - Page 3

"Interviewed" while walking the dog?

This is a discussion on "Interviewed" while walking the dog? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WebleyHunter - In the brief time I saw him in the moonlight, the guy did not appear to be a typical homeless ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: "Interviewed" while walking the dog?

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post

- In the brief time I saw him in the moonlight, the guy did not appear to be a typical homeless individual. He was a white male, probably mid-40s, 5'-8" to 5'-10", clean shaven wearing light clothing. His voice was also not the typical "gruff" voice shown by many homeless folks.
    Are you sure he asked you for .75 cents? Perhaps he said something different. What would a 40ish year old, clean shaven white dude need with .75cents?

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    More background and response:

- My dog is not very scary. He is a 12 year old hound/vizsla/ridgeback (???) mutt with a very cute hound face. He did not bark or growl during the encounter, just "perked" when the man approached (before I could see him). On the way back to the house, he also "perked" when a skunk crossed the trail. He is much better watchdog in the house...

- After we passed, I moved my Beretta from is pocket holster in my pants to my jacket pocket (hand on grip) and put the flashlight in the leash hand.

- I continued to "check my six" as we separated.

- Yes, he asked for 75 cents clear as day- no mumbling, stuttering, etc.

Thanks!

Weird night in Metro Denver last night. Similar thing happened to me last night, although much earlier. I posted the details.

Glad it worked out.

Doc

I had an odd experience walking to my Jeep in my apartment parking lot last spring (before I was 21 and thus before I had my CCDW). I work nights so I was getting in my car just after 11PM and an older african american man (I'd guess about 55, but he was bigger than me and looked like he'd had a lifetime of scrapping on the street) rolled into my parking lot on a bicycle, I looked up when I heard the bike tires crunching on the asphalt.

What really set me off was that the first words out of his mouth were "hey man, don't shoot" (again, I was unarmed). I responded by opening the rear, driver's side passenger door of my Jeep and getting behind it and flashing him with my light (Fenix PD31- 304 lumens). He put his hand up to block the light and I said "can I help you?". He responded with a story about how he was a couple bucks short for a beer at the bar on the corner, he just wanted money.

I told him I didn't have any, I waited until he was gone and then I got in my vehicle and left for work.

I get asked for money all the time, I live downtown near my college campus and most of the bums in the area see us college kids as easy targets. I stay alert but for the most part let it roll off me, I tell them I don't have anything and they leave me alone. This guy just put me on high alert because of how he initiated contact.

Glad everything went ok. Need to ramp up situational awareness. If I seen something I was uneasy about I would change my route and get away from potential trouble. Some may call us cowards for that. But you win the fight by not being there. And a larger caliber is in order. For ultra deep concealment my bottom caliber is my kel-tec p-32. Stay safe

Last person I saw shot with a .25 acp, it bounced off his forehead. It was a firefighter who was standing out on the apron in front of the station and a guy walking down the street took a pop shot at him. Good thing it was coming from across the street. Had it have been up closer, it might have penetrated. But then again, maybe not.

All it did was drop him to his knees and pissed him off. It also took a nice little divet out of his forehead. A bandaid and a skull x-ray was all he needed. Three other firefighters chased the guy down and beat the crap out of him until the police showed up and saved his butt.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Why do we use the word "interviewed" when what we mean is "being sized up/set up to bring our situational awareness force field down?"
    Because you are being "interviewed" for a "job" as a victim.

Bumping works too. I do like your "Force Field" analogy.........

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by tactilame View Post
    I would much prefer at least a [s].380[/s] or 9mm over two sub .25 guns. If you have space for two small guns, surely you have room to replace those with one bigger gun.

Exactly! Well I would have said .40 or .45 but 9MM is ok.

Him: "Do you have $.75?"

You: "No, but thanks for offering!"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree with tcox4freedom,

I think the question about .75 cents was just a nervous reaction to the BG being thrown off by something you or your dog did...

Is there a club house with a soda machine/laundry mat in the direction he was walking (is this an apt complex or condo)?

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Hopefully nothing, but now everyone's going to whine about your choice of guns.

I had a gang-looking teen do something similar to me once. As I came out of the gun shop, he came running at me from across a small parking lot that the gun shop shares with a Mexican restaurant. He wasn't stopping and looked like his goal was to knock me down. I lifted my shirt and grabbed my Glock. He stopped instantly and just looked at me. He then said "wanna buy some tamales?" I said no and he ran off. Sometimes weird things happen.
    On a stop during a cross-country Greyhound trip, I watched a young, thugged-out looking teen jog from down the block up to the bus station that I was standing outside of. He proceeded to continue jogging right into the thigh-high 6" diameter "bumpers" designed to keep the buses from charging right through the wall of the station. He hit it going fast enough that his momentum flipped him over it and onto his head on the pavement. Then he just got up and didn't say a word to anyone in the small group just feet from where he tumbled. It was large, almost waist-high and bright yellow, he had to have seen it. Weird things do indeed happen.

Doesn't sound like the OP's guy was up to no good, but always good to have your SA about you.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

When I first moved to Atlanta I was pumping gas. Broad daylight, gas station located on a busy road. A car full of urban youths pull up next to the store and three get out. The first one asks me if I have a dollar for him. I see the other two circling on either side of me. I responded to the first that "no, I have nothing for you", I reached under my shirt to secure my Glock 19. The other two continue to circle to my sides. I tell the first, "I'm armed and you die first", at that point they retreat. I finish pumping gas and leave to find a cop. Explained to him what happened. He said that was an "interview" and I did the right thing. I hadn't heard that term before then.

". . .urban youths. . ." LOL! You get the PC prize for the day!
    TaterSalad likes this.

What's the wrong thing? Are they wanting you to open your wallet so they can see what you have in it?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

What can you get or do for $ .75 these days. Sounds like he just wanted to get you involved in a conversation, his requests would probably change in short order.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links