"Interviewed" while walking the dog?

This is a discussion on "Interviewed" while walking the dog? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings! This just happened about an hour ago, so I may be overreacting a bit... For over 9 years, I have regularly taken the dog ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: "Interviewed" while walking the dog?

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar

Greetings!

This just happened about an hour ago, so I may be overreacting a bit...

For over 9 years, I have regularly taken the dog for late night walks near my home in west Arvada. Occasionally, you will meet somebody doing the same thing, or somebody just out for a stroll. Tonight was beautiful, with a nearly full moon and a comfortable temp in the 40's. As we walked along a trail that separates the privacy-fenced backyards of a 1970's neighborhood and an industrial park, my dog alerted to something ahead on the sidewalk. Not surprisingly, a man materialized into view as we approached. After exchanging "Hello" and doing a "turkey dance" on which side of the path we would pass, he hit me with "Do you have 75 cents?". I somewhat stumbled in my response, really not expecting such a question in this part of town at 10:45 in the evening. I said "Sorry, I don't have anything on me right now", and we both continued in opposite directions. Nothing was threatening, but the whole situation was very odd for the area. Had I been on Colfax or the 16th Street Mall in Denver, I would have been fully expecting such an encounter, but NOTHING like this has occurred in the area before. I did end up calling the non-emergency police number with a brief description of the individual in case there had been prior reports of issues in the neighborhood.

Some additional notes about the event:
    - There was NO WAY I was going to dig out my wallet to give this guy ANYTHING.
    - I guess I could have lit him up with my 200 lumen flashlight, but I did really see the need at the time
    - If things did go south, I had my new .25 Beretta 950BS (9 x Fiocchi 50 gr FMJ) and a .22 NAA Mini (5 x Winchester Super Speed 40 gr LRN), so I was far from unarmed.

Do you folks think I was being interviewed and set-up for something more nefarious, or just encountered an idiot looking for some easy spare change?

I welcome your comments.

Thanks,

Hunter

It doesn't seem like a big deal, though I feel like we need more details. Was he dressed decently or in homeless attire (in other words, did he look like someone who lived in the area)? How did he ask for the change? I've noticed some people are more forceful than others, and the non-curtious ones are the people who make me more alert.

You do mention that the trail separates the neighborhood from an industrial park, he could've come from the latter area. It does seem unusual that someone from the area would ask for change. My gut tells me, though, that it was exactly what it appeared to be, just somebody broke asking for change. I too wouldn't have given him any.

I'm sure you've heard it before, and I hope you don't take offense to it, but in my case I would much prefer at least a .380 or 9mm over two sub .25 guns. If you have space for two small guns, surely you have room to replace those with one bigger gun.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

I'm always concerned when someone asks me for money, but in this case I think it was just someone trying to get some change out of you...but...you never know so err on the side of caution...which you did. I agree with tactilame that you'd be better served by one more powerful gun than two mousies.

Hopefully nothing, but now everyone's going to whine about your choice of guns.

I had a gang-looking teen do something similar to me once. As I came out of the gun shop, he came running at me from across a small parking lot that the gun shop shares with a Mexican restaurant. He wasn't stopping and looked like his goal was to knock me down. I lifted my shirt and grabbed my Glock. He stopped instantly and just looked at me. He then said "wanna buy some tamales?" I said no and he ran off. Sometimes weird things happen.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

I agree that it's not normal for someone to be begging for change in your area. It happens to me constantly every time I head to Downtown Denver, but it's only happened to me once in Englewood where I live. When it did, it really put me on edge. Good for you for being alert and aware, I think you handled it perfectly. Odds are it was nothing more than someone begging for change, but we never know these days. Best to always err on the side of caution.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I tend to think you know what was going to happen once that all to often amateur question gets asked. Happened to me with first question--do you have a light? and second question--can you spare change for paper?--all at 4:45AM in a shopping center near a still closed starbucks that I open with a manager. I immediately walked past him before he (I assume) gathered up the courage or "showed" his resolve with a knife or gun and went into the 24 hr supermarket perhaps several hundred feet away. Your situation with no supermarket to escape into is different but you were armed. Alert, SA etal have meaning and unfortunately your little walks may be different now. Go over it again and have your reactions set in your mind--it is unfortunate that you may now be looking at the nice people you want to walk and chat with as if they are all BGs but we are talking your safety here and that should be your primary concern and not new dog owner friends. Wish there was a good answer. Be safe and G-d Bless.

VIP Member
    I'd err on the side of caution at this and presume he didn't have good intentions. It sounds like you were in an area that was dark, it was late, and probably would not produce any witnesses or help for you. This guy probably knew that? Although he only asked for "change", he may have been in hopes that you'd give him a dollar which means you'd get your wallet out, exposing it to him.

You gave him a legitimate excuse and were able to put distance between you two. I've always promoted the idea of a legitimate denial comment and distance. IOW don't engage, keep moving. I'd considered flashing him with those 200 lumens, surprising him and taking away his night vision.

Nothing wrong with you reporting this to the police giving them a head's up, plus it might be some pesky guy that others have been complaining about as well.

I often carry small caliber guns due to how I work, however if I were to walk the dog late at night, personally I'd ramp up to a stouter caliber.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Why do we use the word "interviewed" when what we mean is "being sized up/set up to bring our situational awareness force field down?"
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

I would not walk the same route every time out as BG learn your habits and will lay in wait. Change your route often. I'd say you did OK with this guy but remember it could have been quite different " be ready for the worst".

AOK
    Asking for money is a very common ruse used in an interview. It's possible you were interviewed and failed but unless he displayed any cues or pushed a little harder for the money while trying to get closer it was likely innocent. With that said, you handled it well. Did you notice any other cues to make you think he was interviewing you?

OK, now that all the reasonable responses have been posted, I'll add mine. I find it strange that he asked for 75 cents, not a dollar, not "Some spare change". By asking for an exact amount he was limiting the amount you might give him and what can you get for 75 cents anyways?
    Obviously this guy was an international spy and he was using the designated coded response and expecting your reply to be "No all I have is five nickles." Had you supplied the correct response he would have handed you the map to the location of the microchip that had the latest floor plans for the Iranian Nuclear Plant.

Seriously though you did OK except that it sounds to me like you were much closer to him than would be advisable if he did mean you harm. Are you aware of the 21 foot rule? (google Tueller Drill).
    jerp, tactilame, sixgun and 1 others like this.

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post

Seriously though you did OK except that it sounds to me like you were much closer to him than would be advisable if he did mean you harm. Are you aware of the 21 foot rule? (google Tueller Drill).
    I can't speak for the OP but since they were figuring out who goes which way I'm guessing it was a fairly narrow path.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    OK, now that all the reasonable responses have been posted, I'll add mine. I find it strange that he asked for 75 cents, not a dollar, not "Some spare change". By asking for an exact amount he was limiting the amount you might give him and what can you get for 75 cents anyways?
    Obviously this guy was an international spy and he was using the designated coded response and expecting your reply to be "No all I have is five nickles." Had you supplied the correct response he would have handed you the map to the location of the microchip that had the latest floor plans for the Iranian Nuclear Plant.

Darn you mean we might have been able to prevent the nuclear issues over there. Oh NO we have lost all hope!!! The middle east is gonna end up as a glass parking lot!!!! Noooooooooo!
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Hopefully nothing, but now everyone's going to whine about your choice of guns.
    Close - but a suggestion, not a whine. Since the OP is out dog walking, IMO the threat from unfriendly, aggressive dogs is at least as likely as that from 2-legged animals. I strongly suggest carrying a heavier caliber which is capable of stopping a sizeable dog. With J-frames and 9mms available in pocket-sized packages, a single one of those would make more sense than the two "minis" with only a slight increase in bulk. Right now the OP is carrying two guns which fall into the backup category, in questionable defensive calibers. Better than a police whistle, to be sure, but - barely.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    You didn't say where your gun was, but if you let someone get that close to you unless it is in your hand and ready for action you are in dire straits. If he attacks you with a knife would you have time to draw from concealment and fire at that close range? Anywhere, anytime. Always be prepared.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links