Condition Orange Twice within Two Minutes (long)

This is a discussion on Condition Orange Twice within Two Minutes (long) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night around 7:00PM I was finishing a walk with one of my dogs. I live on the fringe of a fairly expensive neighborhood, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Condition Orange Twice within Two Minutes (long)

Last night around 7:00PM I was finishing a walk with one of my dogs. I live on the fringe of a fairly expensive neighborhood, but definitely an area where some dangerous people might wander. It was fairly dark outside.

Almost exactly a block and a half from my house I noticed two young men behind me by about half a block. Both wearing baggy pants halfway to their knees with hooded sweathshirts. I know this is going to sound racist, but both men were black in a neighborhood that is predominantly white. Stepped it up to "condition orange".

I've been working very hard trying to get this dog trained. He started acting up (not in response to the men) so I chose to stop to get the dog under control. In the mean time the two men had closed on me. I moved off the sidewalk about 15 feet and watched very carefully as the men passed. One of the guys said in a joking voice " he wants to play doesn't he?", referring to the antics my dog was trying to pull. I chuckled and said "yah". I felt pretty secure because I could have released the dog if they made any aggressive move toward me. Of course, I was carrying my M&P9c. The men passed, I got the dog under control, and back to condition yellow.

Analysis: I should have never stopped to discipline the dog. I was close enough to home that I could have easily made it to the door without incident. But I had spent 45 minutes training the dog, and I didn't want to blow the whole training session by letting him control things at the end. Mistake. Set myself up for trouble.

So I continue home and as I approach the house there is an unknown vehicle parked in front of my house with the engine running. I did a quick survey of the area and didn't see my wife's car, so for the moment I didn't think she and the kids had arrived home yet. But the interior front door was wide open (very odd), outside glass storm door was closed (so I could see into the house), and nearly all of the lights were on. Condition orange again!

The wise thing might have been just to call 911, but instead I chose to slowly approach the door. My hand was on the gun, but I did not draw. As I peeked through the glass door, I saw both of my kids backpacks on the dining room table. I was temporarily relieved because I then assumed it was just the wife and kids getting home. But I quickly went on alert again because of the strange car and the front door being left open. I decided to sacrifice the dog. I quietly unlocked the storm door and released the dog into the house. A couple of seconds later my four-year-old daughter came running to greet me. All was good.

Turns out that our property manager from the condo that we rent out came by to get some checks signed - thus the strange car. Who knows why my wife left the front door open, but she did.

Analysis: in hindsight I am glad I didn't call 911, I would have felt really stupid. But also in hindsight, it was probably not the smartest thing to do. If I didn't have the dog with me, I might have acted differently. Who knows?

Comments?
    Doc

Doc, its sounds like you lived life. The two guys, they looked the part but, were not the part. Same with the car. What was good was your SA and being ready for what ever might have happened. All in all you did fine.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Everything turned out ok and you didn't place yourself in danger or precieved danger. Glad you had the dog.

Wow! Glad everything ended up being OK. Great SA!

I'm always hesitant to call 911 because I don't want to be the one that cries wolf. I would've probably sent the dog in first and if the dog went nuts then I would've called 911 and went in after the dog especially where you could see the back packs. Gotta protect the family after all.

Great job!

VIP Member
    I'll try to make you feel better. It was good that you stopped to work on the dog. Any trouble would have
    happened there, and not at your front door, which is likely if they followed you to the house.

The second part, I've a hunch that you were getting lots of cues that all was well.
    You might not have realized it, but things were making sense to your mind or you would have called 911.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Thanks for the comments, guys. Was just a weird few moments altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I'll try to make you feel better. It was good that you stopped to work on the dog. Any trouble would have
    happened there, and not at your front door, which is likely if they followed you to the house.

The second part, I've a hunch that you were getting lots of cues that all was well.
    You might not have realized it, but things were making sense to your mind or you would have called 911.
    Hop, you are probably right about the sixth sense thing. But I can tell you it didn't feel that way at the time!

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I recommend you keep your training sesions with your dog down to 20 minutes, over that you can run into problems with attention span. Could you see your house a block and half away? unless you were around the corner you should have noticed the car well before you got home.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    I recommend you keep your training sesions with your dog down to 20 minutes, over that you can run into problems with attention span. Could you see your house a block and half away? unless you were around the corner you should have noticed the car well before you got home.
    Actually, the training did last for about 20 minutes. The next 25 was his "fun walk" time. But he was getting a bit out of control at the end and I couldn't let that happen.

As far as the car goes, the way it was parked there was no way to tell that it was running until I was in front of the house next door, which is the same time that I noticed the front door was open. I slowed down to look for my wife's car, didn't see it, and decided to go to the front door instead of calling 911. The rest of the story you know.

Doc

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DocPMD View Post
    Thanks for the comments, guys. Was just a weird few moments altogether.

Hop, you are probably right about the sixth sense thing. But I can tell you it didn't feel that way at the time!
    Have you had a chance to read Gift of Fear? If not, find some time. Very worthwhile.
    oakchas likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I think you handled everything just great, however, you shouldn't apologize for profiling (dress or race).

I think moving off the sidewalk was a good idea,It gives you some distance from a possible threat and would bolster your story if attacked by showing they moved off the sidewalk to come at you
    .45acpguy likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Actually having the dog with you and it acting up may have been positive thing. You were already on high alert. The dog allowed you to take a step off the normal path. If they had followed you would have been able to release the dog and taken care of business. It also put you in the superior position. They were now in front of you and not coming up from behind. Third, they could no longer, if they wanted to, follow you home.

As to the second part. You were probably reacting to the earlier incident,
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TaterSalad View Post
    I think you handled everything just great, however, you shouldn't apologize for profiling (dress or race).
    What can I say, the libs have me brainwashed!

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Actually having the dog with you and it acting up may have been positive thing. You were already on high alert. The dog allowed you to take a step off the normal path. If they had followed you would have been able to release the dog and taken care of business. It also put you in the superior position. They were now in front of you and not coming up from behind. Third, they could no longer, if they wanted to, follow you home.

As to the second part. You were probably reacting to the earlier incident,
    Archer,

I think you are 100% correct. Having the dog with me gave me a valid reason to move off the sidewalk and allow the guys to pass. If I had no dog and had done that, it may have provoked them. They may have sensed fear in me and acted accordingly. That, of course, is assuming the two were actually a real threat. No way to know that.

And you are correct. I think if the first incident hadn't occured I wouldn't have been so reactive to the second situation.

Thanks for the comments,
    Doc

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    if it wasn't for the sub-conscious keeping us updated with alerts for danger,
    we as a species thousands of years ago would have blissfully walked into oblivion.

you picked up on some oddities and acted ( successfully) while walking and
    upon returning home again...sucessfully.
    had you taken the gun out, that would have been over-reacting. not to mention
    dissing the dudes and possibly creating a situation where there wasn't. and flashing
    a gun in the house forsure would have upset the wife & kids. and had the landlord to thinking...

and as you noted....PC can be insidious.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links