Incident outside Fred Myers Renton WA

This is a discussion on Incident outside Fred Myers Renton WA within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened to me yesterday in Renton, at the Fred Myers parking lot. I was off work around 4 so there was still light outside. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Incident outside Fred Myers Renton WA

This happened to me yesterday in Renton, at the Fred Myers parking lot. I was off work around 4 so there was still light outside. I parked my car near the Key Bank and was walking to the ATM to get some cash out since there was no drive through at this branch.

As I exit my car I check around as usual, saw nothing and began walking. I suddenly hear footsteps running towards me and turn around to find 2 guys running towards me. At first I almost started laughing as both of them were trying to grab on to their jeans as they were falling down. I guess its their wardrobe. Then it just struck me that 2 guys are running towards me....straight at me yelling "hey!"...thats it....nothing else.

A million thoughts were running through my head....should I draw...and if I do for what? because someone said "Hey"? The cops aren't going to buy that as they charge me with brandishing. i saw no weapon so me drawing my firearm would seem unjustified.

As they came close enough for me to feel threatened, I unzipped my jacket and placed my hand on my Sig ready to draw, but I maintained my posture so as not to seem too alarmed. When they saw the Sig they bolted. I just took my money and left. I had a migraine so I didn't bother fighting with the 911 dispatcher. For some reason they can never understand what I am saying so I have given up on them.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

When you turned to face the guys, where in the ATM withdrawel process were you?

Spooky as I sometimes am in that area. Glad the outcome was good. In some ways, events like that are beneficial experiences to sharpen you. Got your adrenaline going. Something classes or courses can't really simulate. With two coming at you, did you start thinking about what order in which you would shoot if you had to? Was very street smart of you to be so observant. Also being aware of brandishing and menacing laws too. Every time I have to use an ATM, I'll look around the surroundings first then set myself up to be prepared to draw (like unzipping a jacket, or untucking if in tucked carry). While using the ATM, I'm always checking around me. Most vulnerable when distracted. Hate it when someone suspicious looking shows up waiting behind me to use the ATM and I can't cancel the transaction just to get away. Might not be a bad idea to have a shrouded hammer J-frame revolver held in one coat pocket (trigger finger in safe position) while using the ATM with the other hand.

VIP Member
    How did they see your weapon if you didn't draw it?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Maybe they just wanted to ask you if you had a belt they could use!
    jasgo, Badey, mano3 and 4 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

how many times have you called 911 before?
    I had a migraine so I didn't bother fighting with the 911 dispatcher. For some reason they can never understand what I am saying so I have given up on them.

Some how I manage to get thru life without an ATM. I only have a throw away cell phone. I think you did good BGs didn't see your weapon but knew you weren't defenseless.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichB70 View Post
    Some how I manage to get thru life without an ATM. I only have a throw away cell phone. I think you did good BGs didn't see your weapon but knew you weren't defenseless.
    Rich
    You know, I never really thought about this till you mentioned it. I can not remember the last time I used an ATM outside or inside a bank lobby at night that left me vulnerable. I take out 40 dollars in cash a week (20 for my wife ,20 for my son, and 0 for me) when grocery shopping I get cash back,no ATM fees. Guess that was one less thing I had to worry about. Never thought about it.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    You know, I never really thought about this till you mentioned it. I can not remember the last time I used an ATM outside or inside a bank lobby at night that left me vulnerable. I take out 40 dollars in cash a week (20 for my wife ,20 for my son, and 0 for me) when grocery shopping I get cash back,no ATM fees. Guess that was one less thing I had to worry about. Never thought about it.
    Never used one, have no need to use one, will never use one, do not understand this unbelievable need to use one. They are as dangerous as it gets and when I posted on this before, all I seem to get were the defenders of the ATM who somehow cannot live without it--how they existed several years ago w/o them is never explained.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    How did they see your weapon if you didn't draw it?
    He said that he unzipped his jacket and put his hand on it. He could have had it in an OWB under the jacket (just a theory)...

If they were rushing you at the ATM you should have called 911. If they saw your weapon, you should have called 911.

Did you get a good description? Were they from a vehicle or off the street?

I give you an A for scaring the guys away, a C for not calling 911 to report an attempted robbery, and a D for brandishing without calling 911

overall score is a C+

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Well, you said you were walking to the ATM when they came running toward you. Being the devils advocate here, if it was me and I was going to rob you I would have waited until you got your money from the ATM and was returning to your car. And, I wouldn't have yelled at you from a distance to alert you that I was coming. I would have posted myself closer to the ATM waiting on the next sucker to come along. But hey, that's just the devil in me. With every unexpected encounter with strangers "seeming" to be a threat nowdays, especially those not wielding a weapon, I wonder how much longer we will be living in the land of the free. Not criticizing your action by any means, just offering my .02. I choose to go where I wanta go and do what I wanta do and not worry so much about who else may be there.
    MadMac likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    If they were rushing you at the ATM you should have called 911. If they saw your weapon, you should have called 911.

Did you get a good description? Were they from a vehicle or off the street?

I give you an A for scaring the guys away, a C for not calling 911 to report an attempted robbery, and a D for brandishing without calling 911

overall score is a C+
    First, he didn't brandish - he put his hand on his Sig - what they saw is unknown. His posture may have been enough to cause them to let it go. Second - he did not know where they came from - his first sense came from hearing footsteps. Third - not calling 911 to report a non event is what ties up emergency lines for no reason. Sounds like you want him to report an event that may or may not have had the potential to happen. As far as rating - I don't rate anyones actions unless I am there as there may have been other factors that are unknown and baggy pants around the knees isn't criminal - it's just stupid. Of course this is just my opinion.

Once had a guy that wore a suit and tie that made a living doing armed robbery in a business district. Educated up scale victims ( businessmen) couldn't give a description and babbled like a teenage girl. Finally caught him - he tried to boost an off duty LEO. Nice suit, though.
    oakchas and ErnieNWillis like this.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

"When they saw the Sig they bolted"

if the concealed weapon was exposed he can be charged with brandishing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    He said that he unzipped his jacket and put his hand on it. He could have had it in an OWB under the jacket (just a theory)...
    From his post - emphasis added.

I unzipped my jacket and placed my hand on my Sig ready to draw, but I maintained my posture so as not to seem too alarmed. When they saw the Sig they bolted.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links