Shoot - no shoot? - Confronted in Check Out Line

This is a discussion on Shoot - no shoot? - Confronted in Check Out Line within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You decide. You are either the victim, or a bystander http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/bro...urce=pulsenews Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Shoot - no shoot? - Confronted in Check Out Line

Shoot - no shoot? - Confronted in Check Out Line

You decide. You are either the victim, or a bystander

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/bro...urce=pulsenews

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    NO SHOOT!

I couldn't hear the audio of the exchange of words or what set the guy off. But the GG (?) could of left. I don't know if he provoked the man with words but neither have any fighting skills at all. The gg (?) would have done well with pepper spray and a little hand to hand training. He had numerous chances to put the hurt on the aggressor had he chose too. He stated he didn't fight back for fear of going to jail (this makes wonder if he felt he provoked the guy) or getting hurt worse. I do not like that mentality.

If I couldn't leave or was surprised and suddenly punched by that guy I would have taken the fight out of him quickly and waited for police. Not by shooting the guy or drawing either. I know some people can't fight back due to age or health reasons thats why they must be good at de-escalation and have less than lethal options. I would of loved for the gg (?) to hose the guy down with CS spray or see him deploy a taser and lay the aggressor out.

If anyone can hear the audio did the gg (?) say anything to provoke the guy and what was the aggressor upset about?

Definitely no shoot. The GG escalated the situation. I agree that it shows the need for hand to hand training or a less-than-lethal option.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

VIP Member
    Shoot???? The aggressor couldn't throw a decent punch, and the recipient stood there passively.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I actually haven't seen the video. I saw the article on my tablet. I thought he was beating the crap out of him? Or is it just a few kicks and a punch?

I posted it based on what I read.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

NO SHOOT!

First of all there are too many people near by and no clear shots.

I had to put headphones on but from what I was able to hear, the attacker started by telling the guy he attacked to "Backup 6 inches." which confused the guy he attacked "excuse me?" From there they attacker started verbally attacking the guy while the he tried to diffuse the situation, I could not hear anything that the GG did to escalate the situation. I do understand the mentality of not wanting to fight back for fear of going to jail, that's the world we live in, self defense is pretty much not allowed anymore (look at the Shooting in Slinger, WI and how before the entire story is out people assume the shooter was not justified.)

I have run into people like that before who you don't want to turn your back on because you don't know what you want to do, and I have been in those situations before, thankfully in my case other bystanders intervened "Is there a problem here?" just long enough to break the BG's attention on me. I believe that if someone had intervened the BG would've had is attention broken and the GG would've had a chance to back away from the situation and it would've ended a lot differently.

Unfortunately if there had not been people around to backup the GG then perhaps, just perhaps depending on local laws, it could've become a shooting situation, but hand to hand combat skills would've been very helpful.
    sid1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Definitely no shoot. The GG escalated the situation. I agree that it shows the need for hand to hand training or a less-than-lethal option.
    I didn't see it as the GG escalated the situation, unless you count trying to get the attention of someone else to ask for help. I had to put headphones on and really turn the volume up to hear what was happening.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Shoot???? The aggressor couldn't throw a decent punch, and the recipient stood there passively.
    Seriously. I suppose the victim never learned to fight in grade school. I'm amazed he allowed that putz to beat on him like that.

Shoot? Really!?

That was a total goat rodeo.

Fight back for gods sake. You wonder why people didnt help, he didnt help himself...No shoot....
    gottabkiddin and tactilame like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    NO SHOOT!

First of all there are too many people near by and no clear shots.

I had to put headphones on but from what I was able to hear, the attacker started by telling the guy he attacked to "Backup 6 inches." which confused the guy he attacked "excuse me?" From there they attacker started verbally attacking the guy while the he tried to diffuse the situation, I could not hear anything that the GG did to escalate the situation. I do understand the mentality of not wanting to fight back for fear of going to jail, that's the world we live in, self defense is pretty much not allowed anymore (look at the Shooting in Slinger, WI and how before the entire story is out people assume the shooter was not justified.)

I have run into people like that before who you don't want to turn your back on because you don't know what you want to do, and I have been in those situations before, thankfully in my case other bystanders intervened "Is there a problem here?" just long enough to break the BG's attention on me. I believe that if someone had intervened the BG would've had is attention broken and the GG would've had a chance to back away from the situation and it would've ended a lot differently.

Unfortunately if there had not been people around to backup the GG then perhaps, just perhaps depending on local laws, it could've become a shooting situation, but hand to hand combat skills would've been very helpful.
    A guy got punched (sort of) and the other guy left. Why intervene?
    Tuco

A guy got punched (sort of) and the other guy left. Why intervene?
    Guess its just the way I was raised. I try to diffuse situations and come to other people aid. I have seen plenty of situations like this where if you can break the aggressor's attention (just say something like "Is there a problem here?") from his intended victim that the entire situation just stops and the aggressor walks away because he realizes he's out numbered.

I didn't see it as the GG escalated the situation, unless you count trying to get the attention of someone else to ask for help. I had to put headphones on and really turn the volume up to hear what was happening.
    Toward the end the BG said "I'm Australian [inaudible]" and the GG said, "yeah, well I'm American" and the BG proceeds t beat the crap out of him.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

VIP Member
    Guess its just the way I was raised. I try to diffuse situations and come to other people aid. I have seen plenty of situations like this where if you can break the aggressor's attention (just say something like "Is there a problem here?") from his intended victim that the entire situation just stops and the aggressor walks away because he realizes he's out numbered.
    I was raised to go for the knock-out at :29 of the video.
    W9HDG likes this.
    Tuco

Absolutely .. No Shoot
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Toward the end the BG said "I'm Australian [inaudible]" and the GG said, "yeah, well I'm American" and the BG proceeds t beat the crap out of him.
    Even with the volume up that part I had a hard time hearing...it sounded to me like the was calling the GG a derogatory Australian name and the GG said I'm an American from Chicago, but the audio is terrible so I could've misheard.

I was raised to go for the knock-out at :29 of the video.
    Agreed and AMEN!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links