Unknown individual in apartment

This is a discussion on Unknown individual in apartment within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Location apartment building. rear of building, facing golf course. Center apartment, lower floor, apartment on both sides, stairwell directly across from your door. Safe apartment ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

rear of building, facing golf course.
    Center apartment, lower floor, apartment on both sides, stairwell directly across from your door.
    Safe apartment complex with VERY FEW incidents during the year.

Time
    Wednesday
    July

Situation
    You have come home during lunch to take care of a few items and insert the key and "unlock*" your apartment door.
    (*the door was actually already unlocked but you did not notice as you turned the key and entered)

You realize that your lights are on but think that you might have possibly rushed out during the morning without flicking the switch.

After walking across the living room and into the kitchen, you catch movement out of the corner of your eye. You turn and notice an unknown male in his late 20s coming out of your bathroom carrying a hammer.

what do you do?

Aspect 1
    You have not been made aware of any scheduled repairs or routine maintenance. Your apartment complex has a history of leaving notes a week in advance of such events.

Aspect 2
    This is a maintenance worker from the complex (you do not know this), but they do not wear a uniform or any form of ID. You have never seen this individual before and there is no evidence in your sight that he is indeed said individual.

Requirements of response
    1. you may not respond a simple, "I wouldn't ___"
    a. the question is, "what would you do?"

2. The individual is 15 feet from you.
    a. he is currently standing in your bedroom looking through the doorway when you notice him.

3. There is no real reason to believe his response to any questions...nor a reason to doubt.

4. you are startled.

HAVE AT IT!!!

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Reason #437, why I do not live in an apartment or rental property. My house is MY HOUSE, and I know who should and should not be in my house.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

If said person has not noticed my presence, I would clear my holster and hold weapon pointed directly at the ground hidden slightly behind my right thigh. I would at that point say something to the effect of. "Excuse me, May I help You?"

At that point I would basically judge his response and his body language. If he ID's himself as maintaniance I would then calle the Super, or building manager and verify. If his story checks out, no problem, if not I would then ask the folks on the other end to call 911 and inform them that you have an armed BG in your apt. and will be holding him there until Police arrive. Also make sure that the police know that the resident of the apt is the one with the gun!

then play it out as it happens.

MikeV

Since I always clear my apartment when I go back into it, gun is at the low ready on dominant hand, non dominant arm is at the block/defense position; just aim, give commands to get down on the ground, dial 911, let the police sort the mess out - non compliance with commands gets dealt with the appropriate level of force.

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Since I always clear my apartment when I go back into it, gun is at the low ready on dominant hand, non dominant arm is at the block/defense position; just aim, give commands to get down on the ground, dial 911, let the police sort the mess out - non compliance with commands gets dealt with the appropriate level of force.
    Maintenance has no business being in my apartment without my knowledge.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Senior Moderator
    Step 1 - move off the threat axis, preferably to impose some furniture or the corner of a wall between me and him, to prevent the banzai charge. If necessary, this could include stepping back into the entry door and using the frame for cover.

Step 2 - hand goes to gun, assumes firing grip.

Step 3 - Ask the guy who he is and what he is doing.

Evaluate from there.

(+1 on the home ownership aspect. When we lived in an apartment here while househunting, the dogs would have controlled access in my absence....)

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief View Post
    Although I strongly agree with the above, I can see one instance where this could happen.

Emergency water leak from your bathroom along the floor and baseboards through the wall into an adjoining apartment.

Assuming that you use Apartment rather than Condo means that you are renting. The apartment management company does have an obligation to all tenents, including your neighbors. Who knows your cell phone may have been in a "dead" zone when they tried to call you.

MikeV

+1 draw & point, issue commands to disarm, prone him, call 9-1-1, inform them that I am detaining a man with a hammer in my house that is (or is not) identifying himself as a "maintenance worker" without my knowledge of any being needed, and I am armed... Let the police sort it out from there.

I actually have a set of handcuffs (not for work) that I bought just for these situations. I don't want the gun in hand when the police arrive and I don't want to give him the opportunity to get up easily after I prone him out. (I'll just let my guys know to put my cuffs in my inbox so I can get them when I come back to work. lol)

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    +1 draw & point, issue commands to disarm, prone him, call 9-1-1, inform them that I am detaining a man with a hammer in my house that is (or is not) identifying himself as a "maintenance worker" without my knowledge of any being needed, and I am armed... Let the police sort it out from there.

I actually have a set of handcuffs (not for work) that I bought just for these situations. I don't want the gun in hand when the police arrive and I don't want to give him the opportunity to get up easily after I prone him out. (I'll just let my guys know to put my cuffs in my inbox so I can get them when I come back to work. lol)

Cheers.
    I'll second that. Same here soundwave (provided I'm sticking within the confines of the above scenario). Although I also have to comment on the home ownership. It's worth every penny and every hardship. I'm struggling, but I'm making it work and I know at the end of the day that it's mine and therefore there is no excuse for anyone else being there without my permission ahead of time.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Draw down and call the police first. He locked my door. Locking a door is designed to prevent entry, right? I don't care where he says he's from. Something similar has happened to me and the guy yelled "MAINTENANCE" as soon as he heard the door open. Turned out my dishwasher had busted a leak while I was running it in the morning and it was draining into the kitchen below me. The reason I didn't draw, though, was because I knew the maintenance guy really well. Carlo and I were on a first name basis because I used to fix his car for him. haha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

They may have no "business," but they have a legal right. The apartment does not belong to you. They have a legal right to enter it whenever they need to. In some states there is a requirement that they give you notice, but even in those states there is an exception for any emergency conditions that might threaten to do damage to your unit or to any other unit. In the scenario presented the man was coming out of the bathroom--maybe there was a leak.

This is an entirely realistic scenario for any apartment dweller. I would draw, hold the gun at the ready position, and confront the man. If it turns out that he is a legitimate maintenance worker I would STONGLY suggest to the building management that maintenance workers who enter an apartment without prior notice ought to hang a sign to that effect on the doorknob!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEV View Post
    Assuming that you use Apartment rather than Condo means that you are renting.
    Actually, the same applies to a condo. The condominium association has the obligation to protect common elements, and so--in every state that I'm aware of--they have the right to enter your unit, without your permission or any advance notice, to make emergency repairs of anything that threatens to damage any other unit, or any common elements. Obviously, a bathroom leak would qualify.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    If said person has not noticed my presence, I would clear my holster and hold weapon pointed directly at the ground hidden slightly behind my right thigh. I would at that point say something to the effect of. "Excuse me, May I help You?"

At that point I would basically judge his response and his body language. If he ID's himself as maintaniance I would then calle the Super, or building manager and verify. If his story checks out, no problem, if not I would then ask the folks on the other end to call 911 and inform them that you have an armed BG in your apt. and will be holding him there until Police arrive. Also make sure that the police know that the resident of the apt is the one with the gun!

MikeV

+1,

Exactly what I was thinking, Don't allow yourself to be in a disadvantage, but be on the ready, if he makes any move towards me with that hammer in hand, he gets view of the business end of my Glock.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Reason #437, why I do not live in an apartment or rental property. My house is MY HOUSE, and I know who should and should not be in my house.

+1
    Fear No Evil.

MikeV

So, what do you do with him while you're calling the super? How do you non-threateningly maintain control in case he's bluffing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links