Defensive Carry banner

Unknown individual in apartment

2K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  dimmak 
#1 ·
rear of building, facing golf course.
Center apartment, lower floor, apartment on both sides, stairwell directly across from your door.
Safe apartment complex with VERY FEW incidents during the year.

Time
Wednesday
July

Situation
You have come home during lunch to take care of a few items and insert the key and "unlock*" your apartment door.
(*the door was actually already unlocked but you did not notice as you turned the key and entered)

You realize that your lights are on but think that you might have possibly rushed out during the morning without flicking the switch.

After walking across the living room and into the kitchen, you catch movement out of the corner of your eye. You turn and notice an unknown male in his late 20s coming out of your bathroom carrying a hammer.

what do you do?

Aspect 1
You have not been made aware of any scheduled repairs or routine maintenance. Your apartment complex has a history of leaving notes a week in advance of such events.

Aspect 2
This is a maintenance worker from the complex (you do not know this), but they do not wear a uniform or any form of ID. You have never seen this individual before and there is no evidence in your sight that he is indeed said individual.

Requirements of response
1. you may not respond a simple, "I wouldn't ___"
a. the question is, "what would you do?"

2. The individual is 15 feet from you.
a. he is currently standing in your bedroom looking through the doorway when you notice him.

3. There is no real reason to believe his response to any questions...nor a reason to doubt.

4. you are startled.

HAVE AT IT!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
If said person has not noticed my presence, I would clear my holster and hold weapon pointed directly at the ground hidden slightly behind my right thigh. I would at that point say something to the effect of. "Excuse me, May I help You?"

At that point I would basically judge his response and his body language. If he ID's himself as maintaniance I would then calle the Super, or building manager and verify. If his story checks out, no problem, if not I would then ask the folks on the other end to call 911 and inform them that you have an armed BG in your apt. and will be holding him there until Police arrive. Also make sure that the police know that the resident of the apt is the one with the gun!

then play it out as it happens.

MikeV

#13 ·
+1,

Exactly what I was thinking, Don't allow yourself to be in a disadvantage, but be on the ready, if he makes any move towards me with that hammer in hand, he gets view of the business end of my Glock.

#4 ·
Since I always clear my apartment when I go back into it, gun is at the low ready on dominant hand, non dominant arm is at the block/defense position; just aim, give commands to get down on the ground, dial 911, let the police sort the mess out - non compliance with commands gets dealt with the appropriate level of force.

#6 ·
Step 1 - move off the threat axis, preferably to impose some furniture or the corner of a wall between me and him, to prevent the banzai charge. If necessary, this could include stepping back into the entry door and using the frame for cover.

Step 2 - hand goes to gun, assumes firing grip.

Step 3 - Ask the guy who he is and what he is doing.

Evaluate from there.

(+1 on the home ownership aspect. When we lived in an apartment here while househunting, the dogs would have controlled access in my absence....)

Matt

#10 ·
Draw down and call the police first. He locked my door. Locking a door is designed to prevent entry, right? I don't care where he says he's from. Something similar has happened to me and the guy yelled "MAINTENANCE" as soon as he heard the door open. Turned out my dishwasher had busted a leak while I was running it in the morning and it was draining into the kitchen below me. The reason I didn't draw, though, was because I knew the maintenance guy really well. Carlo and I were on a first name basis because I used to fix his car for him. haha

#18 ·
I draw and aim at him. Afterall, he is carrying a weapon and is only 15 feet away. I have him drop the hammer and kick it away from him. I have him drop to his knees, lace his fingers behind his head and cross his ankles. I call 911. If he advances on me I shoot. If he offers an explanation I let LE sort it out. I stay away from him. If he runs away, I let him.

#20 ·
draw, low ready, call out to him to stop and identify himself, if he does not and continues to advance, raise gun flick safety off and prepare to fire.

if he really is maintenance and can prove that, say I'm sorry and buy him a beer to calm his probably shaken nerves.

better to be safe then sorry IMO.

#30 ·
draw, low ready, call out to him to stop and identify himself, if he does not and continues to advance, raise gun flick safety off and prepare to fire.
Just an observation, but I have a gun with a safety that I use as well. If I am drawing the gun, I train to take the safety off while I am drawing. I keep the safety on while it is in my holster to prevent an AD (yes, not an ND) if for some odd reason the trigger gets caught on something or (somehow) the BG gets ahold of my weapon and thinks it's a Glock (gives me time to disarm). But if I am drawing my gun I intend to use it if necessary and the safety comes off because the chances for an ND while in my hand are nil rather than still in the holster.

Cheers.

#21 ·
Since I can't carry a gun, I'd grab my OC off of my belt, move back towards the way I came in and try to confirm if he's really a maintenance worker.

The problem with the city that I live is that my landlord is under no obligation to give me any sort of advanced notice before entering my place. It's unfortunate, but what are you supposed to do about it.

#25 ·
Though you offer a good point (polarbear) the question pertains to what would you do if in this situation...not an explanation for how you have avoided the situation in your own life. Look at the facts and the information that is both known and unknown, and then answer the question. If, for some mysterious reason, you found yourself in this situation...WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

#26 ·
Ok, here is what I would do.
In this situation I am obviously close to the door I entered through, the potential BG is 15 feet away and armed with a hammer, and I am not sure if he is authorized to be there or if he is alone. I would make a quick retreat out the door. Return to my car, or if my car is not available, go away from the front of the building but still within sight. While going outside call 911. Tell them (in this order) my location, that I came home and discovered someone I do not know in my apartment, they had a weapon or something in their hand, I immediately retreated outside, I have my CCW permit and am armed. After that follow the directions of the dispatcher. Wait until LE arrives and continue to attempt to avoid a confrontation. While doing this, keep some distance from the front of the building so if the subject exits the building and approaches me I have space between us. If that happens we must play it by ear, but most likely a BG would run and not seek out a confrontation. If the subject does approach me, chances are they are in fact a maintenance worker and are authorized to be there. Regardless, LE is on the way and will sort it out when they arrive. Be sure to stay on the line with 911, and keep them informed of what is happening.
Does that answer your question?

#32 ·
My wife and I are currently house hunting and I have to say that the birth of my son really urged on in this. And many are right here your place is not your place if you rent bottom line. I can remember when my wife and I had just gotten our apartment and we were sleep in the back room(no kid at the time) and I heard some movement in the front area.

Well, we keep our room door locked and I knew this was definite movement, and this was during the day. I came out of the room to find the freakin, pest control guy spraying. He was shaking in his boots. At this point I knew we had to get a home. And now we are ready. To answer your question if I came home to the apartment in the condition above. I would just leave and immediately call the rent office to find out whats going on. Because you might draw on the maintenance guy.

#34 ·
Real world example of decision making skills at work....
If I cant get away from the perceived threat, I'd have to gain control of the situation by taking appropriate actions and assuming he is not acting alone.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.