Do I suddenly have a neon sign floating above my head saying “Gullible Target”?

This is a discussion on Do I suddenly have a neon sign floating above my head saying “Gullible Target”? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry Stubborn! My response may have come off a little rough. I do like helping people!...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Do I suddenly have a neon sign floating above my head saying “Gullible Target”?

Sorry Stubborn! My response may have come off a little rough. I do like helping people!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    No problem sir, I'm not at all thin skinned. I come off pretty straight-forward and gruff a lot of times myself.
    We're OK.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I wouldn't worry to much about it, you just happened to be in the right place 4 different times ;)

If "I" had a dollar for every time I was asked down in the city, just on the walk to Jimmy Johns off Griswold and Jefferson (4 blocks) in Detroit I could make $4-6 bucks per day, every day. It's the ones off East Jefferson you need to be exceptionally aware of. Over there they will dart across 4 lanes running to you just to ask. I've also been grabbed by the shoulder from behind and turned around from an old guy coming out of the Ren Center of which upon turning and backing up dropping my bag saw he was trying to get donations for his american flag toothpicks for "Veterans". After I asked him where he served he mumbled and walked away, I guess PTSD got the best of him and he forgot, or never had someone actually ask him ;) Granted you and I do not dress alike, I really don't believe it matters, myself along with everyone else who passes these folk get asked.

Inside of the Jimmy Johns right by the door is a table for eating where what looks to be an 80 year old african american woman will sit with her hand out the entire time. Or she'll walk in and out of the entrance multiple times for strangers to help her up the 3 stairs and then ask them, which most of the time it works.. She definitely has a hook that catches most.

I think you handled the encounters the right way...In that type of situation, IF/WHEN I am successful in encouraging these individuals to NOT approach within my comfort zone, then and only then will I possibly engage in a brief conversation and make a call as to whether or not I wish to help them out...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

It's funny you mention the idea of having a neon sign above your head, because lately I've been feeling the same way. My style of dress is usually pretty boring, and I can't imagine that my look screams wealth. You'll usually catch me in jeans, a t-shirt, and my work boots. I've got a beard most of the time, and I have a couple visible tattoos.

I still get approached by people on a regular basis asking for money. I do give out a couple bucks here and there when I have a feeling the person truly needs help or if they're being polite, but if someone even seems slightly sketchy, I'll give a firm "no" and if they follow me or insist, I'll tell them to stay back loudly.

Heck, sometimes if I'm in a crowded part of downtown and someone asks for change, I'll offer to buy them a sandwich and a water bottle. It's very, very revealing to see how few people will accept the offer. That offer is sometimes even met with hostility! It makes it clear how many people want money for the right reasons. On the few occasions people do accept the offer, and you can tell they were starving and they're grateful, it makes me happy to help them out.

I'm the same way with surprises though. If you sneak up on me, I am not going to be very friendly.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

Keep working...millions on welfare depend on you!

Seriously though, I have no problem helping those in genuine need. As long as they do not appear to have criminal intent or are supporting an apparent drug habit. There's gonna be a sunami of this in this country imho. Be prepared for this and crime like we've never seen it before. For legitimate people in need it might be a good idea to keep a large box of food staples (case of MRE's??)in trunk of your car instead of giving money. Maybe drop a bible in it as well.But never give them enough info to find your address. Do not over extend....
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Every beggar in my jurisdiction is either a drunk or a drug addict. I assume based on my experience that the same holds true, or is true at least the huge majority of the time everywhere else. I barely have enough to support my family reasonably comfortably, I am not going to support someone's substance abuse habit. For the single digit percentage of folks who might actually need money for food or clothing, I'm sorry, but all the addicts ruined it for you. I never give anyone anything.
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    I have made direct donations to individuals as well. The key difference is that I have initiated the contact, not the other way around. I am way more likely to respond positively to somebody with a sign and a cup sitting on the ground than a guy coming up behind our car when my wife is fighting trying to get the two-year old into her car seat. I DON'T like surprises...

The problem with these folks around the Motor City, is that oftentimes when you see them on the corners at traffic lights, they are proffesional beggars.
    I'll explain.
    Someone with a house/apt/shack has offered these people(often several) a safe roof over their head, and they have these unfortunate souls working/hustling money for the (pimp shall we say), and he gets the bulk of the money, he keeps them somewhat fed and in cigarrettes and hooch.
    IMHO, NOT a fair trade-off.
    I usually give to the Salvation Army, Vietnam/AMVETS veterans funds, Red Cross, etc,
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Maybe you look....kind? I don't know, most of these people are probably harmless but of course you need to exercise caution.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Yesterday's event did upset my son (6) a bit, with him wondering why Daddy was yelling at that man. I tried to explain to him why I did not want the guy coming near us and that he could be a "bad man".
    6 is old enough to be able to respond with you to "situations". My twins know how to react to a code word my wife and I have. She also carries, and we practice the drill all the time. Last time we had a real threat, it worked just like we practiced it.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    When beggars have appeared to be truly in need, I have offered to buy them food. Interestingly, they usually pass up the offer.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

As the economy gets worse, you can expect more of this type of occurrence.
    The economy is getting better, so you should expect less of it.

Also, note that you have no ability to issue commands to your fellow citizens. You can shout "stay away!" or whatever, but nobody is under any obligation to obey such orders. What will you do if a person ignores you and continues to approach? Kill them?
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

To the OP, it sounds to me more as if there was a neon sign over the places where you were going. The story about the guy walking along the road and then asking you for money at the gas station where you were filling up was going to the filling station to ask anyone and everyone there for money.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I haven't seen it mentioned yet in this thread, but a group like this tends to practice enhanced SA - Just a guess, but is it likely that you made eye contact with at least some of these individuals while assessing your surroundings?

It's possible that the type of person who panhandles doesn't see too many eyes on them as their marks generally don't want to bring any unwanted attention to themselves. Eye contact might be a panhandler's idea of an opening (not that some need much of one). Not that I'd recommend not having a look-see, it just might mean that one would have to live with the idea that that look might bring this type of attention now & again.

Just a thought. Myself, I have no problem simply saying 'no' or redirecting someone intent on telling me a story.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

There are more professional beggars now than ever before, these people will drive you nuts. They will ask for money in as many as ten different ways and only stop when they sense hostility.
    Better 12 judging than 6 carrying

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links