Do I suddenly have a neon sign floating above my head saying “Gullible Target”? - Page 3

Do I suddenly have a neon sign floating above my head saying “Gullible Target”?

This is a discussion on Do I suddenly have a neon sign floating above my head saying “Gullible Target”? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd say you got the formula down right. Just dont let guard down and expect things to go wrong very quick. You may want to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Do I suddenly have a neon sign floating above my head saying “Gullible Target”?

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    I'd say you got the formula down right. Just dont let guard down and expect things to go wrong very quick. You may want to consider moving to a state that doesnt have as many of those disgusting "occupiers" that Colorado has. Minnesota is pretty nice.

Thanks Guys!

A few responses:

Sorry for the loss of you FIL BTW, condolences to your family.
    Thank you. He was a good man, known throughout Eastern SD, Southwestern MN and NW Iowa.

6 is old enough to be able to respond with you to "situations".
    I agree. Time to get he WHOLE family on a plan.

Also, note that you have no ability to issue commands to your fellow citizens. You can shout "stay away!" or whatever, but nobody is under any obligation to obey such orders. What will you do if a person ignores you and continues to approach? Kill them?
    True to a point, but my issuance of such commands does indicate my strong displeasure with their current actions. Obviously, these "one-way" conversations do not change legal use of force requirements. A man ignoring my command to remove his rear-end off my hood is totally different than a man grabbing my wife from behind while she is buckling in the toddler. Sometimes, the Army Captain in me comes out to play...

You may want to consider moving to a state that doesn't have as many of those disgusting "occupiers" that Colorado has. Minnesota is pretty nice.
    Sorry. I was born and raised in Boulder, and have lived along the Front Range for my whole life (minus the Army). This is my home.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    California Imports :(

You handled all the situations well. You might not have the face that looks like you'll straight up say "NO" though. I have a few tricks that I use to attempt to appear more intimidating than I really am (I'm honestly a very nice guy.)

Start by walking with good posture, chest out, shoulders back slightly, and look up slightly more than you normally would (appear arrogant and over confident). If you're wearing a hat or jacket straighten it out. Make it clear that you are fully observant of your surroundings. Clench your jaw (I do this out of habit) to make your jaw appear thicker/wider. Make it clear to everyone around that you can see them, DO NOT prolong eye contact or roll your eyes or anything aside from acknowledge the presence of everyone else. For the past 6 years I had lived in an urban environment, and before I learned how to take advantage of body language I had been asked for money before, it's going on three years now that I have gone about without being asked for money. Before you implement any of the tips I have given you, you may want to give this book a read BARNES & NOBLE | The Definitive Book of Body Language: Why What People Say Is Very Different from What They Think or Feel by Barbara Pease, Random House Publishing Group | NOOK Book (eBook), Hardcover

Best of luck, stay observant.

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    When beggars have appeared to be truly in need, I have offered to buy them food. Interestingly, they usually pass up the offer.
    No surprise here.

When I was a kid my parents owned a small local business.

I can remember several times when they offered a "will work for food" guy on the corner a meal and $20 bucks to come pick up trash in the parking lot.

Of all the offers I can only remember one taker...
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Know how you feel,,,,, I am always being hit on for money,,,,
    help,,,,, food,,,,, think GOD ,,, I have never turned anyone
    down over the years,,,,, but it is getting harder NOW. I had
    rather give help ,,,, than have to be asking for help.

I wish people would pay me money to hit on me :)
    claude clay likes this.

IMO, you did great. Nothing wrong wit issuing strong voice commands.
    1.) Lets them (beggers/bg/whoever) know you mean business and dont like them there. Kinda like getting to close to a dog who has a bone.
    2.) Its a line of defense, if after the command they come closer, the possibility of them being a threat is greater. So its for your own benefit to give a voice command even though they "dont" have to listen.
    3.) And should there be an incident where they are a threat and pull a knife, when explaining to the police, you gave a loud verbal command, 1st lime of defense, and secondly it can draw in possible witnesses attention.
    Fortunately, they all ended positively!

You done good!

And when reading this thread and its posts. The movie "Fun with Dick and Jane" came to mind about hard working people hitting bottom and not knowing what to do. And secondly, it reminded me with one of the very very few episodes of " South Park" that i liked/watched about all of the beggers basically being a plague, and it being contagious. Scary how that stupid show hits reality every now and then.

As for avoiding them, the "Intimidating Body Language" actually works. People have told me, when they first met me i was very intimidating, but once they got to know me, i was "like a big teddy bear, harmless". I love how i can fool people.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    The economy is getting better, so you should expect less of it.

Also, note that you have no ability to issue commands to your fellow citizens. You can shout "stay away!" or whatever, but nobody is under any obligation to obey such orders. What will you do if a person ignores you and continues to approach? Kill them?
    I'm certainly glad "Hope and Change" is working out in your area! Doesn't seem to be working in very many places, with gas prices climbing daily, inflation climbing because of the effects of gas prices on consumer products causing higher prices, home values the lowest in years and years, people that have been on unemployment for their full 99 weeks are now about to get "zippo" for income and will be either accepting any job they can get, and/or entering the ranks of the homeless and destitute that ask for money as we are discussing here...I could go on an on, but again, glad that "Hope and Change" is working in your area, just means folks in your neck of the woods should readily contribute their "change" to the needy.

As for the general populace having no legal obligation/reason to obey MY voice commands, this may be true...But, I will certainly get my interpretation of the present situation across to anyone that appears to threaten myself or my loved ones, whether the threat is by way of seeking monetary assistance, directions, or otherwise...They will understand that I am not happy, based on my voice commands, and most probably will either cease and desist and walk away, or at least stop to negotiate further conversation. For those that persist in continuing on course towards myself or loved ones, then and only then will I make my decision on what actions I will take to thwart their attempted progress...These actions might include the presentation of pepper spray, they might include retreating, issuing further voice commands, up to and including calling 911, and heaven forbid, if the worst case scenario presents itself, and I am pressed to the point of perceiving a threat upon myself/loved ones, then I am prepared to take the necessary steps to defend myself/loved ones.

I personally have a good feeling that I am doing what I can to help others by contributing to my church food pantry, volunteering to distribute food to the needy, donating to the Salvation Army, Veterans programs, etc...I am at peace with my efforts. To all who encounter folks in need, be wary, be safe. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

OP : Economy, and it seems you are just one lucky man. LOL.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Asking for a handout is a ruse a lot of criminals perform in order for you to allow them to get close to you. As you are distracted digging in your pocket for just a few bucks, out comes the knife or gun and all of a sudden it becomes an armed robbery and you're suddenly at their mercy.

I realize times are tough, and people are out there panhandling who never have before. But there are other avenues for people to get assistance, food, shelter, money or whatever. Most people who are legitimately down on hard times will pursue those options.

As someone else mentioned... offer to buy them a meal, and they usually decline. I've tried that route too. Why do they decline a free hot meal? All they want is the next drink or fix. I don't support that.

For personal security reasons, I don't engage in conversations with street people other than to say, "I can't help you; I don't have any money; I don't know what time it is; or I don't have a cigarette."
    pacman likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    cash....i havent had that in my pocket in years;

but if you can scan my debit card i can do ua $2...

--wont be long before one of them will take out their government supplied free
    (at taxpayers expense) cell phone with a card reader and say 'sure...'
    CowboyColby likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

CC I bet those times are just around the corner.

I've only been approached once in the past year or so, and that was a scammer in the mall parking lot who was pretending to need gasoline to get to work. She approached everyone else around me first before finally finding the guts to ask me half-heartedly. I fixed her with a glare and told her "no" before she could finish her pathetic story. I've been told before that my posture, demeanor, confidence, SA, make me somewhat less approachable. Unfortunately, it seems to attract a certain caliber of men too, for the same reason.

So I guess it IS possible to look intimidating at 5'5".....

I don't know bud. It could be your demeanor. My wife says I look pissed all the time. LOL. Really, but if its sunny out, i squint and it appears to make me look pissed. So when people try to approach me, i look them dead in eyes with no expression and it usually deters them.

If the look doesn't deter them, I usually wait to see what they have to say and I just say NO firmly and walk away. My 2 yo is always with me so my voice is usually louder and I make it known that I see them before they approach me.
    Outer_Heaven likes this.

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links