mind set

mind set

This is a discussion on mind set within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings, First i will say i dont get on here near as much as i like, so if this is on the wrong board my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: mind set

Question mind set

Greetings,

First i will say i dont get on here near as much as i like, so if this is on the wrong board my apologies to the mods.

Okay here goes. Im 27 zbeen shooting about 8 years i believe in being alert and protecting me and my loved ones. I get to the range almost weekly and several times a week practice my draw as i do have my ccw.

I dont feel i can say i would shoot someone but have done and am doing my best to be prepared physically and mentallyshould i have to. Spending time at the range i do talk with folks.

Since the yearstarted i have noticed a lot of people talking bout loking forward to pulling the trigger on a threat. Phrases like "can't wait to put a body on my gun" or "they better be dead or theyll tell the cop i was smilling as i did it" seem really common.

When i express a desire that id rather the weapon scare them off then be discharged im treated as if im missing the point of having a gun and need to toughenup.

My whole point of this lengthy narrative is am i missing something in training? Should the idea of shooting someone in an act if defense excite me?how do you all feel or think on this? Honest thoughts and feelings appreciated.
    No matter how hard you make it for a law abiding citizen to protect them self. Those that wish to do them harm will still find the means to do it.

VIP Member
    There is nothing exciting about taking another’s life; you do it only as a last resort to preserve your life or another’s.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Everyone is different. There is no one answer for self defense. You need to do what's best for you and let the others blow all the hot air they want.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I don't think I've seen very many on this forum respond as in your post. At least none of the regular members. It should be everyone's desire to never have to use their SD weapon. If you fell differently, you should not be carrying at all. However, there are many on this forum who have decided that they will not go down without a fight should the fight come to them, and they are left no other choice.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I hope I never get to shoot anyone, let along kill anyone. I collect weapons, I like to shoot them and train with them, they are like a hobby to me. I also care for my family and value my life and theirs, so I won't hesitate to defend them should the need arise. It is my hope and prayer that while I am ready to do that, that I will never have to.

People who are making the statements you mentioned have issues to work out or are mentally imbalanced. IMHO I would distant myself from them. Values and principles are very hard if not impossible to change in a person.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

If I heard phrases like you mention at the range I shot at I would think about a different range. It would sound to me like these people have even less
    respect for life than some of the people they would use their gun on.

Anyone who carries a gun looking forward to shooting someone in self-defense shouldn't carry a gun in the first place. I don't think you need to toughen up at all, I think they need to go get their heads examined.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

When it comes to mindset, YOUR attitude and awareness are critical to your survival. You can't fight back effectively if you are not willing to do whatever it takes to prevail, up to and including the taking of a life. I personally hope I never have to take another life, but if it means the difference in the survival of myself and/or my loved ones, then I am at peace with the decisions and preparations that I've made to face that possibility when the time comes.

I will point out to you however, that your statement about hoping that your weapon will scare the BG off, and that you hope you don't have to use it, could be fatal to you, should you ever need to present your weapon in self defense. Once that weapon is drawn, you MUST have the mindset that you will use it to survive at all costs. There are three battles that you must win with your mindset. They are the gunbattle (get some reputable training with a reputable instructor), the court battle (be prepared, should you ever be in a shooting situation, to contact your attorney and know what will be ahead of you both criminal and civil in the legal aspects), and the emotional battle (understand and be prepared for what a shooting situation can/will do to you and your family after the fact). Fighting is 95% mental and 5% physical. Never give up.

I think the attitudes of the folks at your range, that are running their mouths, should be indicative to you that you need some new associates and a new range to shoot at. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Don't let the knuckleheads at your local range get to you. The very last thing you want to do is kill somebody and if you do, you want to be able to say (and believe), that they left you no choice.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

I think they have been watching "Die Hard" too many times. There is nothing to look forward to in having to fire in self-defense. My gun is like my seat belt, I hope I never need to use it...
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Since the yearstarted i have noticed a lot of people talking bout loking forward to pulling the trigger on a threat. Phrases like "can't wait to put a body on my gun" or "they better be dead or theyll tell the cop i was smilling as i did it" seem really common.
    Juvenile bluster from blowhards who have never been near the real thing. Childish babble that can come back to haunt them if ever involved in a real situation.
    Unwise running of the mouth. Wrong on several levels. Better to distance ones self from such company.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    ^^^This^^^

Generally, I've found that the ones doing all the big talking are the first ones to wet their pants when it hits the fan.
    Were I you, I'd be looking for new people to hang around with. Real people.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    When it comes to mindset, YOUR attitude and awareness are critical to your survival. You can't fight back effectively if you are not willing to do whatever it takes to prevail, up to and including the taking of a life. I personally hope I never have to take another life, but if it means the difference in the survival of myself and/or my loved ones, then I am at peace with the decisions and preparations that I've made to face that possibility when the time comes.

I will point out to you however, that your statement about hoping that your weapon will scare the BG off, and that you hope you don't have to use it, could be fatal to you, should you ever need to present your weapon in self defense. Once that weapon is drawn, you MUST have the mindset that you will use it to survive at all costs. There are three battles that you must win with your mindset. They are the gunbattle (get some reputable training with a reputable instructor), the court battle (be prepared, should you ever be in a shooting situation, to contact your attorney and know what will be ahead of you both criminal and civil in the legal aspects), and the emotional battle (understand and be prepared for what a shooting situation can/will do to you and your family after the fact). Fighting is 95% mental and 5% physical. Never give up.

I think the attitudes of the folks at your range, that are running their mouths, should be indicative to you that you need some new associates and a new range to shoot at. JMO
    Pay attention to this OP... them's some wise words right there.

I'll second the stance that if your firearm ever "clears leather" you had better be ready to use it. Brandishing is a crime.

Great post!
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

I've said this before the 2A doesn't exclude immaturity or ignorance.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike63116 View Post
    Greetings,

First i will say i dont get on here near as much as i like, so if this is on the wrong board my apologies to the mods.

Okay here goes. Im 27 zbeen shooting about 8 years i believe in being alert and protecting me and my loved ones. I get to the range almost weekly and several times a week practice my draw as i do have my ccw.

I dont feel i can say i would shoot someone but have done and am doing my best to be prepared physically and mentallyshould i have to. Spending time at the range i do talk with folks.

When i express a desire that id rather the weapon scare them off then be discharged im treated as if im missing the point of having a gun and need to toughenup.

My whole point of this lengthy narrative is am i missing something in training? Should the idea of shooting someone in an act if defense excite me?how do you all feel or think on this? Honest thoughts and feelings appreciated.
    The ones that do all the big talking are not the ones to worry about--it's the ones that are quiet who are doing all the thinking. The loud mouths are usually the ones who will pee in their pants first. As far as mentally conditioning for, g-d forbid, the use of your firearm and the potential of someone dying--personally, if you have to think about this you should not be carrying a firearm--you will die--probably with your own firearm. As far as I am concerned, I see home defense as being priority #1 and, quite frankly, based on my preparedness, if someone defeats the door to my bedroom they will not be happy and I will only concern myself with replacing a door jam and replacement of carpet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links