Don't get into the car. Period

Don't get into the car. Period

This is a discussion on Don't get into the car. Period within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A recent abduction here in town, has (possibly) ended tragically. My prayers go out to the family and friends of this young girl. BUT DON'T ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't get into the car. Period

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Angry Updated: Don't get into the car. Period

A recent abduction here in town, has (possibly) ended tragically. My prayers go out to the family and friends of this young girl.

BUT DON'T GET INTO THE CAR. The young lady was filmed on a parking lot security camera getting into a car that pulled up next to her vehicle, then leaving the parking lot.

The Sheriffs office found a body Monday that matched the description of the missing girl. She disappeared on Friday morning. An official I.D. should come this afternoon.

This mirrors the success story Rob Longnecker posted last week, yet, tragically this girl didn't appear to be armed.

Here is the link to Rob's thread

I know most of us have been told, NEVER GET INTO THE CAR, but for those who haven't, here is why you must fight like your life depends on it. Because it just may very well be that serious.

Local News report

UPDATE, 08/31/06

The suspect in this case, killed himself hours after the body was found. No conection has been made between the suspect and the victom.

Update on story

I can now only hope that they find something that will tell them why, so the family can have some sort of closure.

Satan, he's all yours. Sorry SOB.
    Last edited by 4my sons; August 31st, 2006 at 11:59 AM. Reason: update
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Sad story

A reminder to everyone: never let your guard down, especially in places that feel comfortable to you such as your workplace or home.
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

I tell everyone I know the same thing. If somebody points a gun at you and orders you into a car, you run. "What if they shoot at me?" they ask. "You might be killed", I reply. "But if you get into the car you are dead for sure."

I also tell them to run towards the back of the car, which limits the shooters field of fire and forces him to back up or turn around if he wants to pursue, which buys time.

I also tell people to consider getting their carry permit but nobody ever does. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I tell everyone I know the same thing. If somebody points a gun at you and orders you into a car, you run. "What if they shoot at me?" they ask. "You might be killed", I reply. "But if you get into the car you are dead for sure."

I also tell them to run towards the back of the car, which limits the shooters field of fire and forces him to back up or turn around if he wants to pursue, which buys time.

I also tell people to consider getting their carry permit but nobody ever does. :(
    Yeah I say the same things. Might also help mentioning that hitting a running target with a gun is hard for most people. Unless the BG in that situation trains a lot, the odds are pretty good. Just zig zag and go!

Run and Scream, draw all of the attention that you can to the evolving situation. It is difficult to hit a moving target, especially one moving into a "blind" spot.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

VIP Member
    sad ending indeed.....

a couple of related notes about this incident....

Victim worked at Nordstrums at Short Pump Town Center, which PROHIBITS carrying a concealed weapon! Not that in this case would have made any difference, unless the victim would have been carrying (not likely since she was just 21).

Prior to her body being found yesterday morning (Monday), the family was handing out flyers at the mall. When local radio station WRVA tried to interview them, mall security made them leave.

To bad mall security wasn't around when she went missing......

Video of victim getting into car is not very clear, but it appeared to me that she got in willingly.....she may have known attacker. It was also 0850 in the morning when she got in the car (she was to be at work at store 0900).
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Video of victim getting into car is not very clear, but it appeared to me that she got in willingly.....she may have known attacker.
    Just wanted to point out that a huge majority of crimes that involve a kidnapping or other use of a car to remove the victim from a place is almost always someone that the victim knows.

Cheers.

Administrator
    So that discovered body did turn out to be her.
    She was a student attending The Art Institute Of Pittsburgh.
    One of my old schools. A very tragic story.

Assistant Administrator
    Yes indeed - tragic and potentially avoidable - plus as has been said a very high likelehood the perp was known to her. Thus seemingly willingly getting on board.

Young ladies in particular should not be too trusting - but too many are.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Many Moons ago when I went to school there a high percentage of the students were from small towns in Pennsylvania, Ohio, & West Virginia & they were not very street wise at all.
    Pittsburgh being the largest city that they had ever been in.
    So it's possible that somebody used a ploy on her and she just was overly trusting and paid the ultimate price for it.
    This story makes me extremely sad.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thats To bad

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well it wouldnt be my 21 yoa daughter , but it could be many of her friends .. IMHO you never leave with anyone , your chances of medical attention are a lot better where you are ( assuming they shoot you in place ) than they will be if you go somewhere else .. Among other things i have done i owned and operated a cafe , ( i cooked a lot ) and i told my girls ( and boy ) waiting tables that if we were robbed to not only open the regester , but to hand over the stashed cash bag to the bg(s) The one thing i told them was absolute is you will not go out the door with them , nor will we all go to the cooler , if they try and get you thro the outside customer door , or the kitchen door , you best get on the floor anyway you can because it is going rodeo then . I didnt personaly think tho loosing $$ was worth a customer or employee being hurt ... Rob right and live to be caught later . Rob wrong and i will do my best to drop you where you stand . oh yea , i relied on a full size 1911 in a counter holster in the kitchen for my enforcement .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Exclamation +1!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief View Post
    Run and Scream, draw all of the attention that you can to the evolving situation. It is difficult to hit a moving target, especially one moving into a "blind" spot.
    Great advice that bit about running to the rear. Unlikely your average dumb as a box o' rocks BG is going to know how to perform a "Bootleg" turn in reverse. I'd only add this: Scream FIRE! FIRE! not robbers or rape...folks may not want to get involved in THAT. But nobody wants to get fried in a fire.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

There is a book by a detective named JJ Bittenbinder called Tough Target that I read some years back. He isn't terribly pro-gun, but does make a lot of very good points about situational awareness and consequences of things going wrong. It is an informative read.

He makes a point of noting, as in the original post, to NEVER GET IN THE CAR and goes on to note that the woods are full of people, no longer alive, that when last seen were no where near the woods.

---------

As noted, when at gunpoint in an attempted abduction, running away is likely a very good option. It is harder to hit a moving target, assuming the potential abductor really wants to shoot you. If so, then the abductor likely was anyway and now you have a chance to survive. If not truly intending to shoot you, at least not soon, then the abductor does not want to draw attention and shooting would draw attention. Of course, that assumes the abductor isn't crazy or that the abductor does want to do everything possible to keep from getting noticed.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    The origional post has been updated, It looks like the prime suspect killed himself.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links