Fired Employee angry......coming back to meet with the head man.....concerned!

This is a discussion on Fired Employee angry......coming back to meet with the head man.....concerned! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of our employees was fired this week and was more than upset about it. Said he's coming back to see the boss "and get ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Fired Employee angry......coming back to meet with the head man.....concerned!

One of our employees was fired this week and was more than upset about it. Said he's coming back to see the boss "and get his job back". Many folks in the office are afraid of this guy and are concerned about what he might do. He's been known to walk around the loading dock area talking to himself and acting somewhat strangely.

Question: would you notify the police that the guy is coming back to the office and express concern? What would they likely recommend? There are few folks that carry, and they are certainly on the alert now. This may be nothing, and I don't want to prejudge the guy, but bad things have been known to happen in situations like this. What's the best way to prepare to defend ones self?
    mkh likes this.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    just what you are already doing----asking "what-if" questions and paying attention
    mano3 likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I would imagine caution would be prudent. At least your employer doesn't leave you defenseless. Did you discuss your concerns with your superiors? If employees express concern (in writing), perhaps they'll take a proactive response to this guy.

I take it there is no security officers at the entrance. Calling the police may be premature... Unless you have a restraining order I don't think they will be able to do anything. If there is real concern, you can ask him not to come, if he still does then you can call the police
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    When you say he is coming back to see the boss and get his job back, does the boss know that? Is the boss OK
    with it?

Two different possible situations emerge with very different potential for trouble. 1) The boss is willingly meeting him
    and seriously considering giving him his job back. If that is the case, and the fired guy isn't nuts, there could be
    a win win situation.

2) The boss doesn't want to see him, has been verbally manipulated into agreeing to the meeting, and has no intention
    of giving the guy his job back under any circumstance. If that is the case, he should have had the stuff to say NO and
    mean it. But if what is going on is that the boss has no clue and this is office talk, someone better tell the boss.

You all know the fellow. We don't know what he is capable of. And, we have no way to know if your fear is real or
    exaggerated.

There actually are security companies that deal in handling things like this and assessing the risks. But, unless you work for
    a large employer it is unlikely your employer will be able to even consider hiring such a company.

So, with that said, make sure the boss knows what is going on and what the concerns are, and encourage him (if appropriate)
    to tell the police about the concerns.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Call in sick
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    just what you are already doing----asking "what-if" questions and paying attention
    ^ This. I have standing threats from over the years that could walk through the doors of my office on any given day.

Fortunately, I'm able to stay armed. I'm comfortably alert to what's going on around me, and I go on about my business.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    sick days?

I'd say bring it to the attention of management if it hasn't been already. If the guy shows up, is it possible to bring everyone inside and close up? If so I'd do that and call the cops to have him removed.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Are you concerned about the boss or yourself?
    If you're concerned about the boss, you should share with him your concerns. Ask him if he has a weapon on him or somewhere in his office. If you're concern about yourself, I think you've told us that some of you are prepared for any eventuality!! Make sure you are too....Mentally!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    He's been known to walk around the loading dock area talking to himself and acting somewhat strangely.
    You never know what the voices in his head are telling him to do.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

sgb
    Suggest to the Boss that he look into hiring short term Armed contract security for the next week.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Be Prepared!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    When you say he is coming back to see the boss and get his job back, does the boss know that? Is the boss OK
    with it?

Two different possible situations emerge with very different potential for trouble. 1) The boss is willingly meeting him
    and seriously considering giving him his job back. If that is the case, and the fired guy isn't nuts, there could be
    a win win situation.

2) The boss doesn't want to see him, has been verbally manipulated into agreeing to the meeting, and has no intention
    of giving the guy his job back under any circumstance. If that is the case, he should have had the stuff to say NO and
    mean it. But if what is going on is that the boss has no clue and this is office talk, someone better tell the boss.

You all know the fellow. We don't know what he is capable of. And, we have no way to know if your fear is real or
    exaggerated.

There actually are security companies that deal in handling things like this and assessing the risks. But, unless you work for
    a large employer it is unlikely your employer will be able to even consider hiring such a company.

So, with that said, make sure the boss knows what is going on and what the concerns are, and encourage him (if appropriate)
    to tell the police about the concerns.
    Actually, the answer is "other": The boss was out of town and had a manager fire the employee. The employee is certain the boss will reinstate him, but that won't happen. The boss is a great guy and will agree to chat with the ex-employee. He is aware of our concerns.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

Have all step up to orange
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links