What situation, if any, caused you to become more home defense oriented? - Page 2

What situation, if any, caused you to become more home defense oriented?

This is a discussion on What situation, if any, caused you to become more home defense oriented? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One day a long time ago I was taken from my place of comfort by a unknown persons. They grabbed me and nobody cared that ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What situation, if any, caused you to become more home defense oriented?

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    One day a long time ago I was taken from my place of comfort by a unknown persons. They grabbed me and nobody cared that I was screaming calling for help. They were all dressed alike and wore latex gloves and I didn't know what was going on or who they were. Then they handed me to my mother and everything was ok but from that day on I vowed that I would never be taken again. This was the day I was born. (Literally)

Seriously though from a very young age I've always been self defense oriented. When I went off to college I slept with .38 on the nightstand and a remington 870 by my bed. My sister and I had purchased a home together for college and one night very late a very big guy was just sitting on my couch. My dog had started growling and barking. I grabbed my 870 and walked into the living room to see the guy sitting on my couch in the dark. I asked very nicely what in the wide world of sports he was doing in my house. His response was "is this where the party is?" I told him "does this look like the place a party is?" Then politley walked him out the door bidding him a goodnight and safe travel.

I also used to shoot and ride around with the local PD I learned this world is not full of people like I was raised around and people out there would do evil to good people.
    lazytl likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    as i carry a gun, there are guns in the house and i have to protect them.
    or
    you carry a gun when not at home for protection, why would you not have a plan in place for when you are home?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Lots of things:

Realizing how hard I had to work to get what I have
    Getting shot at driving through one of the wealthiest communities in my state
    People getting killed in their own homes in very nice areas
    Realizing the Good guys aren't so good, and the bad guys are a whole lot worse than most people think
    Knowing that I will shoot to kill if someone gets in my house and I'd rather not have too..........
    Criminals don't care, not about your life, not about your stuff, not about your animals.....

They are like politiicans, as long as they get what they want, they don't care.

I got my first gun when I was 24 and could finally afford one. Didn't take any event to make me want one, just knew that it's better to have one and not need it than need it and not have it.

I started carrying when I changed career paths and went into real estate. No way was I going to tour unfamiliar homes or host open houses and be that vulnerable without a weapon.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

#1 wife and kids
    After years of numerous incidents it all comes down to doing anything I can to protect them. Most recently, a home invasion about 500 yards away. And we live a very quiet neighborhood.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cascadematt View Post
    #1 wife and kids
    After years of numerous incidents it all comes down to doing anything I can to protect them. Most recently, a home invasion about 500 yards away. And we live in what we use to think of as a very quiet neighborhood.
    my change reflects perception vs reality
    something we all have to constantly work on
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I have had my truck burglarized before, but I believe it was just some teenage kids that walked around the neighborhood. All that was stolen was a bag full of change and a sweatshirt. After the incident with my mom, I realized that you can not rely on the police to save you. You must be ready to defend your home until they arrive or if you are caught off guard and have to take immediate action.

Walking the dogs at night near my apartment and some guy in a truck was following my fiance and I very slowly with his lights off. He pulled up to us and rolled down his windows. I could then see he was naked as the day he was born. He began to ask if we had seen some girl running around out here as he claimed it was his gf and they just got into a fight. Very strange situation but it was enough to give me the push I needed.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredonce View Post
    During a visit with her daddy (my son), my 7 year old grandaughter told us her step-father had told her he was going to take a shotgun and "take out" her daddy, me, and her uncles because he didn't want us around her and "spoiling" her all the time. He had previously held the same gun to her head and said he would blow her head off so her daddy wouldn't be able to see her again. My son now has full custody and a restraining order (working on getting a CWP), I have a CWP and a restraining order, and we have a very well-rounded and happy granddaughter who will not even speak her step-father's name. Her mother said he was "just kidding" and didn't mean a word of it. Sure he didn't...
    That's messed up. Glad it worked out.

Growing up, I lived in two differenct neighborhoods in which we were the minority and the "minorities" were very racist. Had to learn how to take care of myself.

As a young, underpaid sailor with a family, I had to live where I could afford to live and sometimes those neighborhoods had high crime levels. Once while I was on deployment, a man was stalking my pregnant wife and broke in during the middle of the day. My wife barricaded herself in the bedroom and luckily the police showed up before the guy who was holding a steak knife from my kitchen was able to get to her. It turned out he had mental health issues and he thought that my wife was his ex girlfriend who was also pregnant and had lived there before we moved in to the apartments.

A few years ago, I bought the house that I could afford during the height of the real estate boom. It was a crappy house in a bad neighborhood. Of course we didn't know it was that bad until after we moved there. One day I saw a SWAT team serving a no-knock warrant on the crack dealers a few houses down from me. I lived on a cul-de-sac and I pissed those guys off who hung out with the people from the crack dealing house because they would haul butt down our street and screech the tires turning around in the cul-de-sac while our kids were out playing. I stood in the middle of the street and made them stop. I told them I would put a brick through the windsheild if they kept doing that. A neighbor's kid got his butt kicked by an adult for not handing over his bicycle in his own front yard. After all of that, I kept a 9mm pistol IWB whenever we were outside and a shotgun in the house. I got the hell outta that neighborhood and moved out to the country right outside of town. Now I'm back in town and there have been rising crime in our "nice neighborhood" and shootings and home invasions nearby.

This isn't everything that has happend, but I don't want to turn this post into a novel.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Funny story.

Years ago while still in the military we had conducted a JTSOFTX which lasted 30 day's, including two parachute insertions during the exercise.

When I got home, to a small apartment off base, I took a long hot shower and two Diphenhydramine. I slept for about 14 hours. When I woke up some dude was sleeping on my couch. True Story !!

He was a youngster with the 101st ABN and thought my sliding door was his. LOL

After confronting him with a boot on his neck I made him some lunch. :D
    Sfire and 1911srule like this.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

I heard a story on the radio about an attacker breaking into a house and raping a child of maybe 5 or 6. My daughter was an infant at that time, but the story tore at me. In the end I figured that if something like that was to happen in my life, that someone would not be walking out of my daughter’s room. At a time like that, my wellbeing would not be a factor, it might be me not walking out, but I would give it my all. I figured that a gun would help my odds a bit.

VIP Member
    Getting a haircut, and seeing some kids sitting on the hood of my barber's car. I walk out to tell them to clear out, and all three of the little dirtbags lifted their shirts to show their guns.

It dawned on me that the world was changing and it was time for me to change with it.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    No one event in my case, other than living in th World today. Actually, it came up out of respect. As I grew older and hopefully wiser, I realized that hundereds of thousands of brave souls had given their lives to secure And protect our rights, including the right to bear arms. Executing that right seemed to be one way to show respect for their sacrifice. A right not exercised becomes a right lost. I moved to a state that allowed concealed carry from one that did not (Illinois) and I really had not understood how denial of a right over time results in an acceptance of its absence. Not to over state it, but the day I received my permit was a day really was thankful to be free and a greater recognition of the value of their sacrifice.

Sorry to go all speechifying' on you folks.
    W9HDG likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

It really wasnt one event that made me pro carry/home defense. I grew up in a little town where we really didnt have violence. Unless you lived in North little rock, you were pretty safe. Once I graduated from college and got a job up in Iowa, my wife and I had our first child, one night just browsing around on the computer a story came on the news about some child molester. I got on google and searched the Iowa registrey and they're were 3 or 4 molesters in a town of less than 4k people! One lives 2 blocks from us. I already had 2 pistols and an AR-15 but no carry permit, at that time Iowa was still a shall issue state. My wife was still unsure of having guns in the house with our new baby girl. After that she wanted an armory. Well I filed with the local sheriff and I got his approval. That creeps me out, freaking molesters. I was also assaulted in that same town. No money or nothing, guy said I pissed him off, It was his moms funeral and I was walking by, I paused to let a bunch of people walk buy me and kept going. I guess he had a short fuse, he pushed me in the back and when I turned around, he grabbed my throat. Well, in the end he had a swollen jaw and he couldnt walk very well, a kick to the crown jewels will do that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links