What situation, if any, caused you to become more home defense oriented?

This is a discussion on What situation, if any, caused you to become more home defense oriented? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I should add that in the last few years at least 6 people have been shot and killed within a 4 minute driving distance from ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What situation, if any, caused you to become more home defense oriented?

I should add that in the last few years at least 6 people have been shot and killed within a 4 minute driving distance from her house.

2. Remove Ads

Read my first ever thread below:

Female Neighbor Invades Home
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Watching the news and as someone else listed, listening to the scanner. Several close calls in the distant past, but the final two real eye openers were Katrina, and an absolute nut-case idiot ex-son-in-law who the last time I saw him had eyes big as saucers, was shaking and backing up and I think left a little pile of something behind as he exited the area.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Well it really wasn't an iccedent but I moved into a bottom floor appt with one more unit on the second floor of the building. Well a couple of months after I moved in my landlord said I was getting nebors and to expect them to be moving in soon. well they moved in and that's when the fun started. On top of being giant mooches they had people coming and going at all times of the night and early morning, don't get me wrong I work second shift so I know what it's like having weird schedule times. But nobody stayed more then ten or twenty min. And the guy the most horrible case of "meth head teeth" I've ever seen if you know what I mean. Well I begun to suspect my nebors were drug dealers. Less then two weeks after they moved in I decided to get my first gun sooner then I had planned, I also added a carry licence and started to carry daily for good measure. They ended up not lasting long, they moved out in three or four months. Turns out I was right about them though because a couple of weeks after they moved out they were picked up for robbing three banks in the area and after searching there property the cops added possesion with the intent to sell and all that good stuff. Moral of the story if your nebors are always asking for baking soda to make the most killer "pancakes" be weary. Here I am a year later and a good friend of mine moved in the other appt. I am also part owner of the building I live in along with a couple other rental properties and still carry every day and keep the gun loaded at all times jic.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    After reading more guns less crime.

OMG, it'd take too long to link some of my earliest posts which touched on a small fraction. Long story short we've had trouble with lowlifes ranging from a young burglar in training/neighbor, one convict(burglary)and his drug dealing brother AND his kids.One of which also a convict for a $30K burglary. Oh and their pedophile father / grandfather of same clan. Did I mention Deliverance II was being filmed here?
    RIP Jeff Cooper

When Wisconsin got CCW in November 2011. Simple as that for me.

Ace
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Put very simple---the election of the current moslem turd in the whitehouse. I can easily see a future where this narcassistic piece of slime decides that he is what this country needs forever. He has the media as lapdogs (Goebbels must be so happy), he has his brownshirts (seiu, acorn, unions, a civilian defense force per the care bill), he has practiced (the occupy was practice for civil discord, and he has a total disregard for congress, the surpreme court, and the constitution. All of this is right out of the mein kampf how to book. I am jewish and do not take lightly the possibility that a moslem turd dictator will decide that I have to take a little ride to a nice camp somewhere. Unlike my fellow jews in germany, I will not be a sheep--someone will go to hell before I pack a bag a listen to some brownshirt--I will go to heaven first.

I decided after I've been followed multiple times by a guy (walking to from my car to work, downtown...several blocks) who I've personally watched dozens of times following other women. I've even turned on him and threatened mace to no avail. Cops have been alerted but he and they are never around at the same time. He's bold to say the least, so I'm going to be that rock and hard place if he ever escalates.
    accessbob likes this.
    "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" ~ Paul Harvey

After 25 + years in LE, I know what danger lurks around
    every corner.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

One former friend who is a lot less mentally stable than I had thought.. I had known the guy for 8 years, decided last year to go on a 10 day motorcycle trip. 4th day in he was getting completely drunk every night and when he's drunk, he's a di**. I was sick of it, told him I was heading back in the morning and he called me a few choice names and left to find another bar. I left in the morning, 18 hours and 1000 miles later I was home. Found out he spent the day leaving threatening messages on my phone, on my wife's phone, and with that of every mutual friend. One of our mutual friends talked me out of going to the police with it (probably should have in hindsight). Only had a shotgun at that point that was tucked away on a shelf, that got loaded and moved bedside, doors started getting locked when we were home, started paying attention as to what was going on outside when going out of the house. He lives (and still lives) two blocks away.

Interesting side note.. Years before this, he broke up with his long time girlfriend. Ran into a guy I knew through work who ended up dating her and he was talking about her former boyfriend (the guy in my previous story) leaving threatening messages, banging on her door in the middle of the night, driving past her house very slowly at times.. I didn't believe him then. Sure do now though.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    1973-1975 I worked in various locations in NE and NW Thailand. Occasionally made short trips into the surrounding countries. Cambodian people were being killed for no more than having an education or a business. Often by blunt force trauma to save bullets. The Cambodian government fell in April 1975, I departed Thailand in June. Over the next few years was horrified to read as more 2 million(of six million) Cambodians were killed by their neighbors and rulers. Often by pickaxes to save bullets. Indiscriminate murder under guise of socializing the country. Of course history is replete with similar stories, so this is no news.

But the horror for me is the Cambodian people are the most gentle loving individuals one could hope to meet and live among. To read of these gentle people murdered by farm implements hardened my heart. To know it was other Cambodians leaves a void in my soul. Since those years I have been a lethal person. Thankfully I have never been in a position where I felt my family or person was threatened.

Those reading this site understand the nature of the human race. We understand that sometimes it is kill or be killed. We do what we can to prepare ourselves and our families. For as any reader of history knows, man is the most vile animal known to the earth. And the horror of history is that it was most often written by the winners.

For me, I've had my car broken into and I know several people who's homes have been broken into. In all cases they kicked in the front door.

But for me, the last straw was reading about the Petit family's home invasion. That was the point when I made up my mind to take a much more proactive stance to home security. That is when I added door and window alarms, enhanced striker plates, and security cameras. I also got a bio metric gun save so that it was quicker to open if needed in a hurry.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Since I am more or less confined to a mobility chair I came to the realization that I am basically helpless physically if a young in shape attacker were to target me. This really pissed me off because I hate feeling helpless. Yesterday I answered the door and there was a huge gentleman standing there. Now it turned out he was drumming up a tree cutting business but I had my M&P 9c with me, but I still kept my eyes opened the rest of the day. You have to be aware now!😁

My mother's home was broken into while she was sleep.

They thought she was gone because her truck wasn't there, but they went upstairs to her room to get her other flat panel tv and she shot 2 of the 3 suspects, one died on the scene due to a gunshot wound to the head, the other almost bled out, but he survived to tell on the others and get out without a murder charge. The third one served the murder charge. The other got a robbery charge.

My mother in the other hand got a hardy handshake, a thank you from the officers & neighbors (except the one who's son she killed) and testified in court with me by her side.

Great day for justice

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    accessbob likes this.
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links