What situation, if any, caused you to become more home defense oriented?

This is a discussion on What situation, if any, caused you to become more home defense oriented? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know many of you may keep loaded guns just for peace of mind, but have any of you actually had some sort of scary ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What situation, if any, caused you to become more home defense oriented?

I know many of you may keep loaded guns just for peace of mind, but have any of you actually had some sort of scary incident happen that made you more defense oriented at home? For me, it was when I was 19 and still living at home with my mother who had recently gone through a divorce. She was doing online dating, when she attracted a stalker. I never actually met him, but he would wait until I had gone out with friends to send my mom disturbing emails and give hints to her that he was in the backyard. We filed a police report, but this did not stop it. One night before I went to bed, I went to shut off the back porch light when I heard a voice and saw shadows move near the side of the house. I went and got my shotgun, but by the time I got outside there was no one there. He sent my mother an email later on that night with a picture of a grave stone in it and again hinted that he was there. Did I mention he lived over an hour away? This went on for several weeks and he showed up one night when I had a few friends over. Our German shepherd dog went ballistic in the backyard, which was half way illuminated by a pole light which left the back portion of the one acre yard hidden in darkness behind trees and shrubs. We all ran outside, because I had let them know what was going on a few days earlier, and went towards where the dog was barking. When we got to the back part of the yard, we heard someone scaling the chain link fence across the yard from us. We were never able to catch them. After doing some research online, I was able to find out where he worked and sent him an email, giving him his address and letting him know that I knew his place of work. I told him I would show up there in the middle of the day and confront him in front of all of his co workers if this did not stop. This did the trick and we never had an issue with him again. I remember being both angry and scared at the same time, because I never knew exactly what to expect from him and he always seemed to bother us late at night around the time we would normally be asleep. Ever since then, not a single night goes by that I do not remember this and keep a loaded gun hidden, yet near me, when I sleep. I don't know if I will ever sleep the same again, because a situation like this makes you realize how vulnerable you can be when you sleep. I would pull the dresser in front of the door while this issue was going on, so I could hear if someone was trying to get in my room and kept the gun nearby. Please share if you have a similar story and let us know how you handled it.

Working on the streets of Kansas City as a paramedic and seeing real crime and criminals up close and personal as well as dealing the aftermath of their deeds.

I've had a handful of incidents where I really wasn't sure I was going to survive the outcome. It had an affect, for sure.
    Honk likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have several reasons.

My mom had a man break into the house, hold a knife to her neck and attempt to rape her. She was lucky enough to break free, scream loud enough to attract attention and scare the man off. He was caught and found to have escaped from a local mental health institution a couple miles away from the home.

When I was younger, I lived in Atlanta. Had my apartment burgled two different times at two different locations. I also personally experienced multiple guns pulled and one knife in conflicts when I was working a nightclub in downtown.

I currently live in Wisconsin, and had one of my cars stolen right out of the driveway.....and I live in a nice neighborhood.

Last incident that concerned me was the violent mob that went through Milwaukee last year on the 4th of July. I do professional fireworks (side business) and we were in the area when some 50-70 teens decided to go on a rampage, robbing and beating up people. Add the risks of that situation in with a now unsecured site containing explosives and we have a serious potential situation.

I have many reasons, and this above is just a small illustration that I refuse to be a victim. I won't risk my life over stuff, but I will stand my ground when my family's safety, my safety, or a complete vulnerable innocent person is at risk of immediate bodily harm or death.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Intellectual thought...
    Badey and claude clay like this.

Seriously, I've been a witness to one homicide, I've found two bodies (double homicide), have had two cars stolen while at home (two different locations), have had neighbors burglarized, and a store I use to work at was robbed at gun point every 5-6 weeks.

Regardless of all that, the 10 o'clock news is what did it for me. Every other night, I find myself saying, "only if [he/she] had a gun".
    W9HDG likes this.

Today's news...and the cop down the street who keeps me abreast of the local happenings in Gainsville, which includes 'non-drug related' home invasions.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    All a person has to do is watch the news to see how unsafe this world is, even in your own home.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

During a visit with her daddy (my son), my 7 year old grandaughter told us her step-father had told her he was going to take a shotgun and "take out" her daddy, me, and her uncles because he didn't want us around her and "spoiling" her all the time. He had previously held the same gun to her head and said he would blow her head off so her daddy wouldn't be able to see her again. My son now has full custody and a restraining order (working on getting a CWP), I have a CWP and a restraining order, and we have a very well-rounded and happy granddaughter who will not even speak her step-father's name. Her mother said he was "just kidding" and didn't mean a word of it. Sure he didn't...
    bigmax and Hopyard like this.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Just get a scanner and listen to the "real world" around you. I think you'll find its quite different than the evening news.
    MikeNice likes this.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Ahhhh........the scanner......goes of every 5 seconds......Hmmmm.

I am a rancher in a rural area and have never been real concerned because most rural people have a weapon in their vehicle. I've had situations during the hunting season when I've approached dangerous trespassers but for the most part I've never felt real threatened as long as I stayed aware and stayed out of certain places and situations. Then, this past winter, a school teacher from a neighboring community was abducted and murdered while out jogging. The crime in this area is exploding because of oil development. Thousands and thousands of people are pouring in looking for high-paying jobs. I'm still not concerned in my own community but here on the ranch the isolation could be a downfall. I'm still not carrying on my person but I've upgraded the home security and added weapons around the ranch yard that I can access and I am preparing for when I will need to either concealed carry or open carry.
    Last edited by lazytl; March 17th, 2012 at 12:25 AM.
    Ruger SP101 3" .357
    Taurus 941UL .22WMR
    Mini-14
    H&R Pardner Pump 20

Was at home alone one day after high school soccer practice taking a shower. Had just gotten out when I head the alarm system beep like it does when a door opens. Figured it was my dad so I hollered something to him, and he didn't respond. Wrapped a towel around myself and walked out to discover the front door ajar and no dad's pickup. Cleared the house with a butcher knife, in retrospect a very bad idea. Also had someone try the door late one night when I was in the living room. I yelled and saw them run across the lawn through the window. Then had my car burgled. About $1000 worth of missing stuff.

This was during a 12-month or so stretch of burglaries on my street. My neighbor got burgled, the alarm company called the cops then him. He beat the cops home. One person got hit three times before they moved away. One got hit once, a second time when they cut her phone line (!!!!) her alarm went off and scared them away, and a third time a few of us were standing outside talking about the burglaries at about 9:30 at night and saw a young male go up to her door for a few minutes, then leave. We had called the cops and she came out. We asked her what happened and she said she was finishing up a shower when the doorbell rang. She took a minute getting ready to answer the door, and as she got there the young man was trying the handle. She opened the door on him and he jumped back, apparently surprised, and asked her if she had anyone who mowed her lawn for her....

They just stopped one day. We assumed the person got caught or killed. But I decided that I wasn't going to risk being caught unprepared.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I live in a semi-rural area, and we had a stranger show up at our door asking for money one night. I went out and bought a handgun the next day (all the stores were closed already that night or I would have done it then).
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Have been set up for a while but "Katrina" really opened my eyes. All those people waiting for the "gubmint" to save them. Even local Sheriffs take a while to respond. I would not call myself a "prepper" but I got a plan and system. ( If you think someone else is going to save you good luck to you!)

I always liked the idea of having weapons available for home defense, but the murder of a neighbor during a robbery just 3 houses away turned my thinking from passive to actively thinking about home and personal security. That was 1985... and my thinking has never changed since.
    Bark'n and 1911srule like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links