Indiana GOP introduces new Bill "Allowing the murder of Police/Law Enforcement"...

This is a discussion on Indiana GOP introduces new Bill "Allowing the murder of Police/Law Enforcement"... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Link to Article 1. Link to Article 2. (A biased Website) If this thread belongs somewhere else, then please move it to the correct spot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Indiana GOP introduces new Bill "Allowing the murder of Police/Law Enforcement"...

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar

Indiana GOP introduces new Bill "Allowing the murder of Police/Law Enforcement"...

Link to Article 1.
    Link to Article 2. (A biased Website)

If this thread belongs somewhere else, then please move it to the correct spot and accept my apologies.

I am not so sure where to place this as it is a carry issue but discusses a possible situation we as gun owners might face. What if the police do come to our house and we don't believe they are legally allowed to be there? I don't think it happens that often but it is an interesting discussion.

I think there are many problems with this bill. What do you all think?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Fortunately, I think that this type of situation would be rather rare. On the other hand, it is apparently a real problem or why else would the state legislature take the issue up?
    I, myself, agree with the concept as stated in the article: "the idea that homeowners have the right to resist anyone, including police, who invades their homes." As this is one of those emotional topics that can devolve quickly, like no knock warrants, I will leave it at that.

I do think that this topic has an interesting twist to it, in that it pits the legislature against the courts. In a roundabout way, I would naturally expect the courts to uphold the "special rights" of police as I see them as being closely aligned with the police in terms of their operational relationships. The legislature, which is at least theoretically more beholden to the people may have a different view. In any case, it is the courts job to interpret the laws as written by legislature and it would appear that the courts may have misinterpreted the intentions of the legislature.

In the worst scenario, an innocent home owner who mistakenly shoots someone (using a no-knock warrant) breaking into his home (and the team has the wrong home), the home owner certainly cannot be held accountable because he was just defending himself and/or his family.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    On the other hand, it is apparently a real problem or why else would the state legislature take the issue up?
    Not necessarily true. Just look at all the "Kaylee's Laws" that legislatures drafted after the Kasey Anthony verdict. Knee-jerk legislation is rarely, if ever, based on anything other than emotion.

What bothers me is this quote: "Even though I know that factually, this is probably the right thing to do, sometimes law isn’t about fact – sometimes it’s about perception, and it’s that perception that I fear." If ever there was a reason to boot a joker out of office, it's this. He's all but admitting that he'll do anything to get re-elected.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

VIP Member
    I didn't see anything in the article that said it allows the murdering of police. What I read is it gives a homeowner to right to defend themselves and their home from unlawful invasion by the police. There is a BIG difference in the 2.
    kmagnuss, TaterSalad, OD* and 4 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Interesting. I do like the idea of a homeowner who defends him/herself against a police invasion of the wrong house being protected. I feel like this could stir up hard feelings though. And possibly encourage actual criminals to shoot back at police in the hopes they can get the warrant thrown out on a technicality and maybe get away with killing a cop for free.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Am I hearing death rattles of the 4th amendment?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

OD*
    I would think it's keeping within the 4th.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Agreed. My point was that the executive and judiciary have been eroding the constitution. The people's legislature here is trying to resuscitate the 4th. I wish I were more optimistic about its prognosis, but there are considerable forces at work to replace rule of law with rule of man.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

This is not a simple scenario to discuss. I'm imagining being at home with wife and 8 year old it's 6:15 am. Were sound asleep suddenly the door explodes suddenly a couple flash bangs go off! there's loud yelling, Kid is freaking out! Basset Hound howling! wife is screaming beside me! I'm dazed and scared to death! I have an adrenaline dump! through all that am I going to hear and understand "Police" "Warrant"? I'm going to protect the wife and son. I'm reaching for my handgun no two way's about it.

Outcome #1. They shoot me because they see me reaching for my gun. I'm dead, that really sucks! turns out tragically they went to the wrong house! they wanted the house next to me. Wife and son are traumatically affected for life.

Outcome #2. I have a rifle shoved in my face, thrown to the floor. Wife is also thrown to floor. Again they want to wrong house. Traumatic scars!

I don't know if there is a definitive answer to this.

I don't think there is a person here given that example who wouldn't try to defend their family's. I also think you can piss away any trust or faith in the local PD from that day forward.

I would have to agree, sounds like death rattles of the 4th Amendment.
    TaterSalad likes this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Agreed. My point was that the executive and judiciary have been eroding the constitution. The people's legislature here is trying to resuscitate the 4th. I wish I were more optimistic about its prognosis, but there are considerable forces at work to replace rule of law with rule of man.
    OK, I gotcha now sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Maryanne Godboldo - Justice for Maryanne Godboldo

She opened fire on the police... (she denies that, the holes were already there in the door )

Charges dismissed by the judge... Invalid warrant (with his own name forged)

VIP Member
    Very misleading title line.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Be careful guys... I think we are being baited .... The title line is very toxic
    atctimmy likes this.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I would suggest this thread be locked and deleted
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links